+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tony Bennett RIP

Tony Bennett RIP

What a cool and polished performer he was

Re: Tony Bennett RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I grew up to Tony Bennett records being played in the house because my mum was a big fan of him and Perry Como - I of course dismissed him as a bland MOR crooner. It took me quite a few years to realise such crooners were allowed to be good as well, unlike those youngsters in the nineties who helped his career enjoy something of a renaissance around thirty years ago.

It took me longer than it should have done, but the penny eventually dropped with Tony Bennett - i think it’s fair to say that he was really rated by his peers in the music business.

RIP

Great American Songbook artist

Class act, my dad's favourite singer.

RIP

I just read a slim volume by Pete Hamill titled "Why Sinatra Matters." It captured nicely that classic era of the crooner, the Vegas nightclub, the rat pack and a lot of truly great music. Tony Bennett was the equal of them all, and the longest lasting. It took me most of a lifetime to realise that my dad was right about Bennett, and Sinatra, and also, let it be said, guys like Dean Martin. They were very, very soulful, largely because they'd been through a few things.

He was also right, to go back a little further, about the Inkspots, the Platters, the Mills Brothers, that whole 1940s/1950s black scene.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Not my cup of tea music wise, but i can't deny he had a great voice. R.I.P. Tony Bennett