+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That strange lot down the M4

International

Re: That strange lot down the M4

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Even if you disagree with the idea of going cashless not sure what acting the Charlie Big Balls to some random retail staff who are just trying to earn a wage is going to achieve?

It's funny if he gets a knock on his door from the plod for videoing himself lifting a shitty mug of all things, though.
    Hadn't see this, agreed.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    The only places that only accept cash are

Turkish barbers, car washes and the supporters club where selling programmes outside
    Chinese takeaway, chip shops, and builders, electricians etc doing cash jobs, and most service type jobs prefer cash.

I've heard of hotels offering cash discounts too and keeping some of the income outside of tracable and taxable income.

The reason that businesses are going cashless is that it cuts down on staff fraud, removes the risk of theft or loss, and also drastically reduces bank charges (the banks charge businesses a lot to handle cash). As an added bonus, it also produces vast amounts of purchase information data, that can be linked to individuals. In places like pubs, bars, etc, cards do tend to speed things up, though you can easily get over-charged, and not notice.
    I use cards for most things, but I also make the point of using cash when I can, usually for small purchases. I guess if a business says 'no cash' then that's up to them, at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    The only places that only accept cash are

Turkish barbers, car washes and the supporters club where selling programmes outside
    Just came back from the chippie, ‘cash only’ sign on the window and you obviously don’t use the Canton Cross on a match day. Lots of bars abroad, The Costas, Canaries, Cyprus etc are strictly cash only. It’s a way of paying young UK staff, who they need for the English speaking holidaymakers, you can thank Brexit for that. I use a dental practice in Cardiff, cash only prominently displayed on the desks.

They always used to say that businesses that traded in cash only were hiding their income from the taxman, and I guess that in today's climate, that's still the case. My local Chinese takeaway has been 'cash only' for quite a few years, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere else off the top of my head...

Depends what kind of world you want really.

Either a world where cash and card both thrive, or a world that alienates the vulnerable, reduces human contact, allows financial companies to take a cut of every single transaction, prevents extra cash being given to those who need it, means everything is traced, is hackable, reliant upon internet connections etc etc...or...the world as it is.

I know what I choose, and that's why I make a point of using cash (and card) and generally try to avoid cashless places.

Heres an article on the importance of cash to women in coercive or abusive relationships. For that alone it is worth keeping the system going so that we are not reliant on cards only. There are dozens of other such groups in society for whom cash is critical, let alone those who just prefer it, or prefer it sometimes.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cashless-b...28953-Jul2022/

Also, imagine how this would be abused in less free societies? A cashless society would be the first time in human history in which someones purchased are not private. Pretty chilling really. So go get £20 from the cash machine, maybe even chuck the change in a charity shop. Better than giving it electronically to some financial services company in silicon valley👍

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They always used to say that businesses that traded in cash only were hiding their income from the taxman, and I guess that in today's climate, that's still the case. My local Chinese takeaway has been 'cash only' for quite a few years, but I'm struggling to think of anywhere else off the top of my head...
    The 5* Fish Bar in Llandaff North has been cash only for as long as I remember.

That guy in the video reminds me of that Fast Show character- walking down the street repeating 'Ain't cash brilliant'.

Anyway, I guess the shop should be grateful he only bought a mug (how apt), rather than chucking £100+ in coppers on the counter and walking out with a full kit.

Cash is a total pain in the arse to any decent size business.
    The idea that someone mentioned of suppliers being paid with the same cash and avoiding bank charges isn’t realistic in this day and age. Who would the jacks be paying cash?

They’ll get charged every time they deposit cash so there’s no difference between that and paying a card transaction fee.

Appreciate some people find it easier to budget with cash but try budgeting when you’ve lost your wallet or had it stolen. Best bet is a pen and paper and keep track of what you spend, if you don’t have an app.

The only things I’ve read that make sense for cash are old people and controlled people.. and yes they need to come up with a solution because society will continue to go this way.

I have to say personally I have more of an issue with cash only places, not only because I hardly ever have any cash but because you know they’re unlikely to pay their fair share of tax. Think I’ll go and throw my weight around and upset their staff

Well one things for sure the taxman won’t be chasing you’re Chinese takeaway for tax avoidance more like your retired pensioners who make a extra £109 at the local bootfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Well one things for sure the taxman won’t be chasing you’re Chinese takeaway for tax avoidance more like your retired pensioners who make a extra £109 at the local bootfair.
    People thinking such rubbish is why hmrc isn't given the respect it should.

About time there was a ban on cash only places.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    People thinking such rubbish is why hmrc isn't given the respect it should.
    Respect

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    About time there was a ban on cash only places.
    Aren't you left wing? Why on earth are you trying to dismantle a system that manifestly benefits the poorer and needier parts of society and transfers wealth and power to banks, govts and financial services companies?

I don't think people have really thought through what this would all mean. It is absolutely critical social infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Aren't you left wing? Why on earth are you trying to dismantle a system that manifestly benefits the poorer and needier parts of society and transfers wealth and power to banks, govts and financial services companies?

I don't think people have really thought through what this would all mean. It is absolutely critical social infrastructure.
    I think paying by card should be an option.

I dont see how that dismantles anything.

Yeah in fairness, it doesnt. I have a big issue with cashless premises, but the option should be there for both

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah in fairness, it doesnt. I have a big issue with cashless premises, but the option should be there for both
    Both - Card or Cash only should be banished.

I can see the argument for that 👍

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

In Norway, no-one can refuse to accept cash. If they do then they are breaking the law.

I thought the same rule applied in the UK due to the "I promise to pay the bearer on demand" statement on banknotes, counter-signed by the Governor of the Bank of England.

"The Norwegian government is seeking to strengthen citizens’ right to use cash and solidify its commitment to ensuring complete payment choice.

Following an initial survey by the Financial Supervisory Authority in 2021 that found many banks were no longer accepting responsibility for providing cash services, and the so-called ‘cash crisis’ of May 2022 when card terminals across the nation went down for hours, highlighting the ongoing importance of cash, the government is looking to shore up cash services and the right to pay with banknotes and coins."

International

Yes, especially cash only as the reason for that is so obvious.

I thought it was a bit daft of some outlets throughout the covid and immediately post covid times insisted on card only. There was a lot of talk of businesses suffering financially and perhaps going to the wall yet some were significantly narrowing their customer base. You’d have thought they’d have been grateful for any type of payment or were they crying wolf re. “We’re on the brink”. Funny quote from someone we know who works in a Hay’s Travel shop, “We take any form of payment bar Luncheon Vouchers”. That’s the way it should be, the public should be able to use any form of payment and, in my opinion, it should be enforced.

While there are advantages to making everything digital, there is still a desire to get as much personal info from you as possible so they can trade your information and bombard your email and socials with adverts.

Now places won't give you a receipt for your purchase unless they send it to you by email.

Even just making an enquiry online requires you to give your email address and/or phone number.

Generally I don't mind if I actually bought something as I like to have access to all those records in my filed emails so I can refer back to them.

What annoys me most is general web browsing. The accept cookies tabs that come up on every website, sometimes every page if you link via another platform is killing web browsing. The amount of permissions you give is ridiculous. They are stealing your information in plain sight and we have little choice other than to agree to it. They are going to take your information anyway. So remove the cookie pop ups and let us decide if we want to browse or not.

Adverts are also a pain but an ad-blocker helps with that.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought it was a bit daft of some outlets throughout the covid and immediately post covid times insisted on card only. There was a lot of talk of businesses suffering financially and perhaps going to the wall yet some were significantly narrowing their customer base. You’d have thought they’d have been grateful for any type of payment or were they crying wolf re. “We’re on the brink”. Funny quote from someone we know who works in a Hay’s Travel shop, “We take any form of payment bar Luncheon Vouchers”. That’s the way it should be, the public should be able to use any form of payment and, in my opinion, it should be enforced.
    Places that only accept your custom via their app as well. That's a whole load of customers you are going to miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes, especially cash only as the reason for that is so obvious.
    Yes. Especially Card only as the reason for that is so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’d imagine they thought covid was a good opportunity to experiment and off the back of that they’ve made a conscious decision that they’ll be more profitable while losing the few people who aren’t prepared to pay by card and are happy to lose them. We all think our custom is more than important than it is to bigger companies.

I’d be surprised but happy to be proved wrong when a company goes out of business because they’ve gone cashless. Hope it’s the jacks, obvs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    While there are advantages to making everything digital, there is still a desire to get as much personal info from you as possible so they can trade your information and bombard your email and socials with adverts.

Now places won't give you a receipt for your purchase unless they send it to you by email.

Even just making an enquiry online requires you to give your email address and/or phone number.

Generally I don't mind if I actually bought something as I like to have access to all those records in my filed emails so I can refer back to them.

What annoys me most is general web browsing. The accept cookies tabs that come up on every website, sometimes every page if you link via another platform is killing web browsing. The amount of permissions you give is ridiculous. They are stealing your information in plain sight and we have little choice other than to agree to it. They are going to take your information anyway. So remove the cookie pop ups and let us decide if we want to browse or not.

Adverts are also a pain but an ad-blocker helps with that.
    I think I may be the only person at peace with all this stuff. It’s nice to be wanted 😂