+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We are going to finish 23rd

Re: We are going to finish 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Too right sacked by Christmas.

It's not only making saves that make a keeper so important it's instilling confidence in the defence like Marshall used to and commanding his area.

A keeper is the number one priority.
    Marshall was the most brilliant shot-stoppers but he certainly didn't command his area. My seat is behind one of the goals and he rarely left his line on crosses and corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Marshall was the most brilliant shot-stoppers but he certainly didn't command his area. My seat is behind one of the goals and he rarely left his line on crosses and corners.
    Yeah but the defence would have had confidence of shots going in being saved.

I reckon the points swing of Marshall winning us points and Allsopp losing them is huge.

Marshall used to make some unbelievable saves. Allsopp regularly lets in shots while not absolute howlers you think he should have done better.

Allsopp was a significant reason on why we were one of the worst sides in the league last season and it looks like hes still going to be there with a defence minus Kipre.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    He was shouting and organising, he was respected and trusted, and he calmed the defence, they were not panicking and worried as to whether he would come and take the ball or not, I dispute that he never left his line also, that's certainly not how I remember him.

When you have a good keeper, it's not always spectacular saves, because a good keeper has good angles and is rarely beaten, so sometimes you'll look back and say they had no real chances, that's because a good keeper will be in the right place at the right time narrow the angle and make it look easy, the same as a good Striker doing the opposite.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

I reckon the points swing of Marshall winning us points and Allsopp losing them is huge.

Marshall used to make some unbelievable saves. Allsopp regularly lets in shots while not absolute howlers you think he should have done better.

Allsopp was a significant reason on why we were one of the worst sides in the league last season and it looks like hes still going to be there with a defence minus Kipre.
    Exactly a hell of a coincidence that he was relegated two seasons in a row and almost three.

Well at least the fans that went to pre seasons at home and then Portugal were supportive - apparently the Swans were booed off at half time in their game with Oxford and cheers went up when the swans keeper caught the ball - that is another level degree of entitlement

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Well at least the fans that went to pre seasons at home and then Portugal were supportive - apparently the Swans were booed off at half time in their game with Oxford and cheers went up when the swans keeper caught the ball - that is another level degree of entitlement
    They have wanted both Martin and Cooper out. Totally deluded fan base.

My comment was specifically in response to that made about him commanding his area and you seem to agree by adding 'Yeah but....'

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    He's right though, old chum.
    Know heeze knot

Keepers and Strikers are the two most important positions on the pitch, if we had Kaba and a good keeper I would be feeling a lot more optimistic.
    Keepers are not more important than centre halves, wingers or centre midfielders. That is absolute cobblers. Plenty of teams have won leagues with average keepers, nobody has won anything with a bang average core or with no goalscorers from all over the pitch.

I would be amazed if they're trying to look for a keeper over those 3.

We were the worst side in the league because we posed no threat going forwards and after a while, our defence crumbled. We couldn't score, it is not that deep. Allsop is not a very good goalkeeper but unless we address the goalscoring issues, we are stuffed. We also have to sign a centre back. It is an absolute must. I have been saying for 12 months we need some new centre mids, too. All our centre mids are incapable of playing intelligent balls, that is why we just pass the ball around looking like we've got no idea what we're doing. Even though Adams, Rino, Wintle and Ralls are all quite different they all do similar jobs and have the same fundamental limitations on the ball.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Keepers are not more important than centre halves, wingers or centre midfielders. That is absolute cobblers. Plenty of teams have won leagues with average keepers, nobody has won anything with a bang average core or with no goalscorers from all over the pitch.

I would be amazed if they're trying to look for a keeper over those 3.
    Who ?

Is Man City's Keeper crap, was Man U's when they were winning everything?

It's cobblers to think teams can win the league with the worst keeper for stats in the League.

Do you think Man City would have won the title last year with Alsopp?

International

We were the worst side in the league because we posed no threat going forwards and after a while, our defence crumbled. We couldn't score, it is not that deep. Allsop is not a very good goalkeeper but unless we address the goalscoring issues, we are stuffed. We also have to sign a centre back. It is an absolute must. I have been saying for 12 months we need some new centre mids, too. All our centre mids are incapable of playing intelligent balls, that is why we just pass the ball around looking like we've got no idea what we're doing. Even though Adams, Rino, Wintle and Ralls are all quite different they all do similar jobs and have the same fundamental limitations on the ball.
    Kaba addressed the goals and just kept us up, A new Kaba and a new Keeper would make the World of difference.

Do we have a new Kaba, I'm not sure it's hard to gage in friendlies but I don't think so?

Who ?

Is Man City's Keeper crap, was Man U's when they were winning everything?

It's cobblers to think teams can win the league with the worst keeper for stats in the League.

Do you think Man City would have won the title last year with Alsopp?
    Yes, I do think they'd have won the league because he never has to do anything . If Man City had Emerson in net with Rinomhota in for Rodri and Simpson in for Ruben Dias, they'd struggle more.

Muric at Burnley isn't very good. Sheff Utd have Foderingham in net, he's fine at best. Luton went up with Ethan Horvath who was terrible for Forest. I also don't think there are many good keepers around, Ben Wilson was in the EFL team of the season and he looked a million miles from that in 16-17!

Having a good keeper is important but having centre mids and centre backs are so much more important. We also aren't going to be able to get a Marshall etc for nothing.

Kaba addressed the goals and just kept us up, A new Kaba and a new Keeper would make the World of difference.

Do we have a new Kaba, I'm not sure it's hard to gage in friendlies but I don't think so?
    He didn't really. We still hardly scored with him in the side. We need to address the fundamental issues of why we don't score.

International

Yes, I do think they'd have won the league because he never has to do anything . If Man City had Emerson in net with Rinomhota in for Rodri and Simpson in for Ruben Dias, they'd struggle more.

Muric at Burnley isn't very good. Sheff Utd have Foderingham in net, he's fine at best. Luton went up with Ethan Horvath who was terrible for Forest. I also don't think there are many good keepers around, Ben Wilson was in the EFL team of the season and he looked a million miles from that in 16-17!

Having a good keeper is important but having centre mids and centre backs are so much more important. We also aren't going to be able to get a Marshall etc for nothing.
    He made loads of saves and the sign of a good keeper is that they make it look like they don't have anything to do because they come out and sweep the ball when they need to and stay on their line when they need to.

You are right on that point a good keeper makes it look easy, just a like a good Striker they pass the ball into the net thirty times a season.

International

He didn't really. We still hardly scored with him in the side. We need to address the fundamental issues of why we don't score.
    He scored a lot more per game than all the rest, those goals were vital.

International

How are their stats worse than our keepers?

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keeper...pionship-Stats

He made loads of saves and the sign of a good keeper is that they make it look like they don't have anything to do because they come out and sweep the ball when they need to and stay on their line when they need to.

You are right on that point a good keeper makes it look easy, just a like a good Striker they pass the ball into the net thirty times a season.
    Ederson made 74 saves last season. That's it. He does nothing because their team is so good. Having a keeper is obviously important but if you have a good core you can get away with it. You will get murdered if you have a poor core. Wales had Rush, Hughes and Southall. How did that go?

He scored a lot more per game than all the rest, those goals were vital.
    His goals were vital. It also needs to be said that we were more attacking as a team under Lamouchi than we were before he took over, it wasn't quite the Sory Kaba show. We scored 1 goal more in our first 28 games last season than we did under the last 18 when Lamouchi was in charge. The downside was that we had the joint 7th best defensive record after 28 games but the 5th worst under Lamouchi.

The increase in attacking play led to more goals being conceded.

I haven't watched much of us recently, went from an ardent season ticket holder to casual fan who can barely name our starting 11. Based on our downward trajectory, you would think that's a good prediction. On paper the league looks harder than ever.

I went through every team in the league on Wikipedia to see our quality vs the field, I think on paper, we're not that bad. Probably a top 12-14 team. I was very impressed with our first half showing vs Porto (who would walk this league with 110 points+) and we looked very good, fell appart in the second half, but I like what the coach is doing.

On the goalkeeper debate, Courtois literally won Real Madrid the Champions league almost singlehandedly, especially in the final vs Liverpool. If they Had Allsop vs Pool' they would have lost 5-1.

If wed had Allsopp unstead of Marshall in our promotion season there is no way wed have been promoted automatically. We may not have even made the play offs.

If wed had Allsopp unstead of Marshall in our promotion season there is no way wed have been promoted automatically. We may not have even made the play offs.
    Cardiff were 19 points clear of 6th, 10 points clear of 3rd, were top of the league for about 30 weeks and completely coasted in the last 7/8 games as they had bugger all to play for as it was already sewn up. That is a ridiculous comment. They'd have walked it with Allsop in goal.

By the way, I don't rate Allsop at all but he isn't that bad. Amazingly his confidence nose dived when he was picking the ball out of the back of the net 3 times a week because we can't mark, don't score and lost every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    You've only gone and jinxed it it'll be 24th now!