+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marco Silva

Marco Silva

Turned down a €40m two-year deal from Al Ahli to stay at Fulham. Crazy stuff!

Re: Marco Silva

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If it was any other country I'd be on the first flight out of London. Sadly for me, I'm old and shit at Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If it was any other country I'd be on the first flight out of London. Sadly for me, I'm old and shit at Football.
    It's crazy for a manager to turn it down cos they are always only a few bad results away from getting the sack, but got to admire the fella for his fortitude.

Wonder what he’s on at Fulham. Not sure I could turn that down.

Fulham v Brentford game on at 9PM. I wonder if the elusive Luke Harris will make an appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Such a shame there aren't more like him 👏

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Such a shame there aren't more like him ��
    He's been very let's say proactive in pursuing moves in the past, showed pretty poor form in forcing a move away from Watford to Everton. He is probably very aware of the perception of him, so would he get another Premier League gig if he followed the money?

What's everyone's view on the Saudi league, is it going to last, will it still be there in 5-10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    He's been very let's say proactive in pursuing moves in the past, showed pretty poor form in forcing a move away from Watford to Everton. He is probably very aware of the perception of him, so would he get another Premier League gig if he followed the money?

What's everyone's view on the Saudi league, is it going to last, will it still be there in 5-10 years?
    You could be right there about him there.

Players follow the money, "ambitious" footballers securing their families' future,

Premiership exists because of Sky investment and greedy English football "selling out".

The Saudi situation will last a few years but I see as temporary, go the same way as well paid fugby players playing in front of no fans.

Football is killing itself.

The excitement for me is local football teams and local football.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Wonder what he’s on at Fulham. Not sure I could turn that down.
    probably on about £5m a year at Fulham at most, so it would be at least 4 times his salary, not including the difference in tax.

if someone offered me 4 times my salary to work in Saudi I would have to consider it, but I'm not sure I would go either, mostly because of family arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You could be right there about him there.

Players follow the money, "ambitious" footballers securing their families' future,

Premiership exists because of Sky investment and greedy English football "selling out".

The Saudi situation will last a few years but I see as temporary, go the same way as well paid fugby players playing in front of no fans.

Football is killing itself.

The excitement for me is local football teams and local football.
    When you say "local football" do you mean amateur football?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    probably on about £5m a year at Fulham at most, so it would be at least 4 times his salary, not including the difference in tax.

if someone offered me 4 times my salary to work in Saudi I would have to consider it, but I'm not sure I would go either, mostly because of family arrangements
    So more than 4 times tax-free, I would have to take the money retire earlier and enjoy the rest of my life maybe doing a bit of pundit work for the fun.

Fulham are mid-table mediocrity at best, without Mitro relegation battlers?

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    So more than 4 times tax-free, I would have to take the money retire earlier and enjoy the rest of my life maybe doing a bit of pundit work for the fun.

he could retire early right now if he wanted to

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I'd say the moves were more about ambition and made with a specific goal in mind, e.g. managing in the Champions League, and to do that you have to be innovative and fairly successful on a limited budget before the Top clubs come knocking.

They were just outside the Top 6 at one point and finished 10th, hence the Saudi interest. He'll have his work cut out for him this season without his best striker, but that will be seen as a challenge by him.

International

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    he could retire early right now if he wanted to
    Yes but another £40Million would make things so much more comfortable and set his kids and grandkids up for ten decades or more, you'd have to be mad to stay at Fulham and not take it, but good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    When you say "local football" do you mean amateur football?
    I mean my local team, Cardiff City, and if not yes local amateur football.

The rest, although there might be a few EPL Big games i will enjoy, along with ECL games, there is for me not the "excitement" where there is a vested interest.

People talking like the Premier League isn’t making players and managers the kind of rich that can take care of their families for generations to come.

Yes but another £40Million would make things so much more comfortable and set his kids and grandkids up for ten decades or more, you'd have to be mad to stay at Fulham and not take it, but good for him.
    Just utter greed. Alternatively he good feed 40 million starving children.

Fair play to him, he's backing himself in the toughest league in the world and must enjoy the competition vs other top managers. It's the league to be right now if you are an ambitious manager. Luis Enrique was practically begging to join a PL team before he went to PSG.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Tax? What tax???