+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glee club down the bay to close?

Glee club down the bay to close?

Looks like its at threat of closure.

It's been there 22 years.

https://nation.cymru/culture/glee-cl...union-dispute/

Re: Glee club down the bay to close?

Never been there.

Always thought it a bit of a white elephant and probably surprised it has lasted so long.

International

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Never been there.

Always thought it a bit of a white elephant and probably surprised it has lasted so long.
    Not too much to be Gleeful about and you can't tell jokes these days without offending someone.

Are they closing because most subjects are now off-limits for jokes, and they don't want to hurt people's feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Are they closing because most subjects are now off-limits for jokes, and they don't want to hurt people's feelings?
    I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Its a feckin joke!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Not too much to be Gleeful about and you can't tell jokes these days without offending someone.
    If that was the case then the likes of Frankie Boyle would have finished years ago.

Probably….

It's a great venue. Absolutely critical to the Cardiff comedy scene.

I get quite a lot of news about music venues etc from various websites and it seems like this is an area Unite are pushing on.

A bar in Glasgow closed recently after a 48 hour strike and that involved Unite.
    https://news.sky.com/story/glasgow-b...osure-12923536

Always busy whenever I've been there.
    Shame if it closes

Nation cymru? I'll give this story a miss

Not had much joy in there, twice I been and twice my group has been asked to leave.
    Once for heckling and 2nd for someone slipping on a wet floor and accused of being too pi55ed.

The owner sounds like an absolute baby. Throwing his toys out of the pram just because his workers decided to unionise, whether you agree with unions or not, people should have the right to form one.

“We simply will not continue under this toxicity. It’s bullying, pure and simple,” he said in an interview with the comedy website."
    Pathetic.

He also brags about paying his employees 70p an hour over the minimum wage. So generous.

No, nobody as even hinted at this being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Not had much joy in there, twice I been and twice my group has been asked to leave.
    Once for heckling and 2nd for someone slipping on a wet floor and accused of being too pi55ed.
    I enjoy the hecking as long as it's good hearted and isn't constant. Did you get a warning first or did they just kick you out?

I had tickets for Shaun Ryder which was postponed 4 times so I gave up and had my money back. I now have tickets for the FLC (without Huey unfortunately) but it sounds like I'll never see the inside of the place.

Not surprised no one laughs anymore

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not surprised no one laughs anymore
    Lol

A colleague of mine went to see Chubby Brown last week in Weston , was sold out apparently

Threads like this are just brilliant - a bunch of miserable old ***** who never go to comedy gigs grizzling about nobody laughing anymore and most subjects now being off-limits.

Although I'm not keen on the Glee Club as a venue and I won't be sorry if it closes, I love comedy shows. Therefore, like most comedy fans in Cardiff, I've been to the Glee Club numerous times over the years. Last October I went to see Jerry Sadowitz play to a large audience there, which kind of pisses all over the notion that most subjects are off limits these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Threads like this are just brilliant - a bunch of miserable old ***** who never go to comedy gigs grizzling about nobody laughing anymore and most subjects now being off-limits.

Although I'm not keen on the Glee Club as a venue and I won't be sorry if it closes, I love comedy shows. Therefore, like most comedy fans in Cardiff, I've been to the Glee Club numerous times over the years. Last October I went to see Jerry Sadowitz play to a large audience there, which kind of pisses all over the notion that most subjects are off limits these days.
    Jerry Sadowitz is a man of true Equality, he hates every ****

I've been to the Glee Club numerous times over the years, I can count on one hand the times I've actually belly laughed.
    Observational comedy is dire, usually starting out by the act asking some bird in the front row where she's from and what does she do, it goes downhill from there.
    Can't anyone stand up and just tell a joke anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Gary Delaney just stands up and tells jokes. I saw him at the Glee Club last year. He was excellent.

I find it's usually a good idea to check out the acts you're going to see before parting with your cash. Avoids disappointment as a rule.

Bernard Manning

He was a ****

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I've been to the Glee Club numerous times over the years, I can count on one hand the times I've actually belly laughed.
    Observational comedy is dire, usually starting out by the act asking some bird in the front row where she's from and what does she do, it goes downhill from there.
    Where you from Joe, and what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bernard Manning

He was a ****
    Yup, but one of the best with his delivery. Shame about the content.