+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How long can Saudi Arabia sustain their current spend in sports?

How long can Saudi Arabia sustain their current spend in sports?

The money is adding up, fast. If they happen to get Mbappe, they will have to invest 1 billion dollars on him alone.

All the transfer fees they are paying, the player salaries, manager salaries and infrastructure. They also own Newcastle and have their fingers in the F1 pie, Golf, WWE, and Boxing.

Reminder to everyone, they have 1/3 rd of the GDP that the UK has. They don't have an infinite money glitch, they are just allocating their money into sport. I'm thinking they can sustain this for 3-5 years maximum? and then pray they get some kind of return on investment in tv deals/ tourism.

Re: How long can Saudi Arabia sustain their current spend in sports?

Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    The money is adding up, fast. If they happen to get Mbappe, they will have to invest 1 billion dollars on him alone.

All the transfer fees they are paying, the player salaries, manager salaries and infrastructure. They also own Newcastle and have their fingers in the F1 pie, Golf, WWE, and Boxing.

Reminder to everyone, they have 1/3 rd of the GDP that the UK has. They don't have an infinite money glitch, they are just allocating their money into sport. I'm thinking they can sustain this for 3-5 years maximum? and then pray they get some kind of return on investment in tv deals/ tourism.
    they can sustain it for a lot longer, question is will they want to.
    the UK could spend a few billion annually on top level sport by cutting expenditure elsewhere, we currently spend 300 million + on grassroots sport for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    they can sustain it for a lot longer, question is will they want to.
    the UK could spend a few billion annually on top level sport by cutting expenditure elsewhere, we currently spend 300 million + on grassroots sport for example.
    They’ll sustain it to 2030, then they’ll have the World Cup and they won’t give a toss after that

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They’ll sustain it to 2030, then they’ll have the World Cup and they won’t give a toss after that
    seems plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You are a brave man to predict what life will be like in 7 years time but I'll bookmark it and get back to you if I'm still alive

The outrage about this is a joke

The people who support the greatness of the Premier league .......plenty on here ......and the champions league etc have always got an arguement for the appalling levels of money in the game

Now it's gone up a notch the pitchforks are out again !

You can't have the penny and the bun

I think it will be great if man united and Liverpool are left floundering and unable to compete

As long as we all keep buying oil...

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The outrage about this is a joke

The people who support the greatness of the Premier league .......plenty on here ......and the champions league etc have always got an arguement for the appalling levels of money in the game

Now it's gone up a notch the pitchforks are out again !

You can't have the penny and the bun

I think it will be great if man united and Liverpool are left floundering and unable to compete
    I agree with your sentiment, but you can't buy history, and that's what all the old clubs have in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I agree with your sentiment, but you can't buy history, and that's what all the old clubs have in spades.
    But what does a history give you?
    not a heck off a lot these days, it's all about the money and titles

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    When has it not been about titles?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I've lived overseas and the support for the big established clubs is massive. I can't see the same thing happening with the Saudi teams that have a few players who already past it, and the rest of the team at or below lower league level.

I can't wait to read Sludge going mental when there's gang of Bridgend youths wearing Al-Hilal tops down the local Spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I can't wait to read Sludge going mental when there's gang of Bridgend youths wearing Al-Hilal tops down the local Spoons.
    Sludge should be pleased about this, it's capitalism eating itself. The other capitalists are going to have to rely on intervention and regulation, and they'll be all for it, because it suits them.

First Team

I'm guessing that they don't have to pump money into their legal system, to deal with human rights appeals ,so possibly it will last a fair old time.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    As long as we all keep buying oil...
    And after we stop too. The oil revenue is spent on other long-term projects and investments on a global scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I'm guessing that they don't have to pump money into their legal system, to deal with human rights appeals, so possibly it will last a fair old time.
    A bit like City's 'Visit Malaysia' deal then.

Re: How long can Saudi Arabia sustain their current spend in sport

I've lived overseas

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Every Premier league match is televised live, also big interest in Real Madrid & Barcelona, plus a few other European giants. Football shirts everywhere and they support the teams like they are locals.

Every Premier league match is televised live, also big interest in Real Madrid & Barcelona, plus a few other European giants. Football shirts everywhere and they support the teams like they are locals.
    Captain obvious is off.

You don’t need to have lived in the far east to know that, Mitty.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Captain obvious is off.

You don’t need to have lived in the far east to know that, Mitty.
    The far East- Chepstow?