Been worried all week about returning a rental car to one of the major suppliers at Heathrow ahead of our return to the U.S. tomorrow.

On arrival a few weeks ago, I'd declined to pay 300 pounds to waive damage to the vehicle as a) I'd never got one marked in over a few decades of using a rental whilst on holiday in UK and b) I have damage protection from my credit card provider (Amex) and have been content to rely on that although never tested it out.

Anyway, I'd gently pranged a Mazda CX5 against a metal gatepost at the Duke of Wellington's car park in Cowbridge this week and since it was a post, there were 4 different scuff marks in a perpendicular line - on the bonnet, a plastic chrome bumper, on another piece of fake metal below that and on the black plastic bumper itself. The supplier had made it very clear at the time of hiring, that any marks over a certain size (which he showed me on a gauge) would be charged at 2000 pounds each and I'd be left to claim it back from my insurance provider. I'd hovered for a moment but still declined to pay for the reasons stated above. Of course, immediately after the innocuous bump, confidence in my insurer melted away fast and for the remainder of the holiday I felt really stupid about not paying the waiver fee; I didn't enjoy the past week waking early each morning concerned about this stupid thing and hardly able to get it out of my mind - the possibility was, that I'd be charged 4 x 2 grand for each mark and no matter how much confidence I had in Amex's policy (which cost only $25 plus having to use your American Express card to hire the car - I couldn't see them being at all happy about paying out 8 grand.

Cutting a long story short, I faced my punishment this afternoon when I returned the car. Thank goodness it wasn't the cheeky twat who'd warned me about the cost of each piece of damage, but what seemed to me like a boy just out of school who oversaw the inspection and paperwork; I drew his attention to the mark on the bonnet, he got out the measuring device and said he just needed to check with someone in the office. He must, I thought, have seen the other 3 marks as well, that was it, I was sure I'd have to pay the penalty and then trust that Amex would live up to expectations and return my 8 grand. A few minutes went by, the lad returned with an older colleague and they looked again closely at the bonnet blemish, oh shit! Then the lad turned to me with a smile and said 'that's ok sir, it's within the limit'.

I couldn't believe my luck, how the hell did he miss the other three marks - or did he? I didn't stop to ask but calmly watched him finish the paperwork, gathered up the missus and our bags and left as quickly as I could. By the time I got to our hotel there was a text confirming the return of the car and looking forward to my business again soon. You could have blown me over with a feather!

Anyone else on here have such a narrow, unforeseen escape from a worrisome situation?