+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Friendly Penybont vs Merthyr

Friendly Penybont vs Merthyr

Finished 5-0 to Penybont. I know it's a friendly and I don't usually take much notice, but a question for you - is that reflective of where Merthyr are at present, a side that would probably struggle in the Welsh Premier?

Re: Friendly Penybont vs Merthyr

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Finished 5-0 to Penybont. I know it's a friendly and I don't usually take much notice, but a question for you - is that reflective of where Merthyr are at present, a side that would probably struggle in the Welsh Premier?
    I’m not sure how Merthyr split it in terms of where their stronger side was but they also played Swansea City under 21s yesterday making sure the whole squad played yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Maybe 3-4 starters played against Penybont, the side that beat Swansea u21 was slightly stronger. Each year they continue to add strength to the squad under Paul & Smudger. I think they’ll be close to the top of their division.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Maybe 3-4 starters played against Penybont, the side that beat Swansea u21 was slightly stronger. Each year they continue to add strength to the squad under Paul & Smudger. I think they’ll be close to the top of their division.
    Not strictly true there was at least 6 regular starters from last season who started v Penybont but Paul admitted on twitter last night that he spread the squad too much across both games. He wasn’t even there himself he is on holiday.

Jack Evans if he doesn’t re-sign will be a huge loss and big boots to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not strictly true there was at least 6 regular starters from last season who started v Penybont but Paul admitted on twitter last night that he spread the squad too much across both games. He wasn’t even there himself he is on holiday.

I might take in a game or two this season. What's the vibe like up there Harts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I might take in a game or two this season. What's the vibe like up there Harts?
    Real good vibe at the moment mate. Crowds have almost doubled in the last 2 seasons. Really good connection between the club and the fans, nothing like Cardiff City.

Few beers on the terraces, can’t beat it when the sun is shining. First game of season home next Saturday to Dorchester. I can’t wait.

Real good vibe at the moment mate. Crowds have almost doubled in the last 2 seasons.
    Did a fair bit of Welsh premier league when my boy was filming the games for penybont-i was the driver-really enjoyed it in a no pressure kind of way. Nice atmosphere, so strange characters to talk with, mug of tea and a bacon bap £2 all in. A cheap day out and a feeling that by spending a couple of quid i'd made a little bit of a difference.

Did a fair bit of Welsh premier league when my boy was filming the games for penybont-i was the driver-really enjoyed it in a no pressure kind of way. Nice atmosphere, so strange characters to talk with, mug of tea and a bacon bap £2 all in. A cheap day out and a feeling that by spending a couple of quid i'd made a little bit of a difference.
    Always nice to have a day where you don't feel you have been mugged.

That’s why I started going after the pandemic as I wanted to put a little bit back into the club and I enjoyed it so much I’ve had a season ticket last season and again this coming season. I don’t get as emotionally involved with the team or results that I do City but it’s just a chance to meet some mates, old and new, and have a social every other Saturday. The FA cup run helped, I did all the FA cup aways last season and a few league aways too. Completely different vibe to watching City. It’s like watching City back in the 90s when everyone pretty much knew everyone.

I watched their recent friendly with Barry Town. Competitive game, Merthyr the better football side but I get the feeling they’ll struggle against more physical and aggressive teams.

They look lightweight in midfield when they needed someone to leave a foot in. The last 20 minutes saw Barry dominate when they changed their approach.

That’s been an issue for Merthyr for the last number of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I watched their recent friendly with Barry Town. Competitive game, Merthyr the better football side but I get the feeling they’ll struggle against more physical and aggressive teams.

They look lightweight in midfield when they needed someone to leave a foot in. The last 20 minutes saw Barry dominate when they changed their approach.

That’s been an issue for Merthyr for the last number of seasons.
    Yes they do have a lot of nice footballers.
    Matty Harris is only one who puts himself about in midfield but he didn’t get much gametime
    last year, he’s knocking on a bit now.