+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blur live at the BBC/Bands you didn't like but now do

Blur live at the BBC/Bands you didn't like but now do

Watching the gig Blur recently recorded for Radio 2 reminded me of how much I wasn't bothered by them in the mid 90s. Wasn't much of a fan of Parklife and really hated the Girls and Boys song. Since then some of the songs Damon Albarn has written are up there with my favourites, with both Blur and Gorillaz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001p94d

Are there bands you have changed your mind about?

Re: Blur live at the BBC/Bands you didn't like but now do

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Watching the gig Blur recently recorded for Radio 2 reminded me of how much I wasn't bothered by them in the mid 90s. Wasn't much of a fan of Parklife and really hated the Girls and Boys song. Since then some of the songs Damon Albarn has written are up there with my favourites, with both Blur and Gorillaz

It's the other way around to you, but I played the Strokes first album an awful lot for weeks on end and yet a few months later I'd gone right off it - that was about twenty years ago and I still haven' listened to it, or them, again since then, but ask me to explain why I went off them and I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's the other way around to you, but I played the Strokes first album an awful lot for weeks on end and yet a few months later I'd gone right off it - that was about twenty years ago and I still haven' listened to it, or them, again since then, but ask me to explain why I went off them and I can't.
    Strange how you should mention The Strokes because I really enjoyed the singles and offcuts compilation album they brought out earlier this year. I too hadn't listened to them for years. I quite liked them when they came onto the scene, not as much as you by the sounds of it but I ended up thinking that I preferr them now

Back in 94/95 I was much more of an Oasis fan rather than a Blur fan. Over time though it's swung the other way. Damon Albarn is much more creative and inventive, and now I have little interest in what the Gallaghers produce.

I really, really like some of Albarn's recent stuff - both solo and with the Gorillaz, but -like you - Blur passed me by completely.

If there was a band I could think of that meant nothing at the time, but who I really enjoy listening to now I would say Echo and the Bunnymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I really, really like some of Albarn's recent stuff - both solo and with the Gorillaz, but -like you - Blur passed me by completely.

If there was a band I could think of that meant nothing at the time, but who I really enjoy listening to now I would say Echo and the Bunnymen.
    Yep I used to see photos of Echo and the Bunneymen in the NME, they looked the part and I knew it was a band I was supposed to like but I rarely listened to them apart from their minor hits. I much prefer them now.

On the other side of the coin I used to listen to The Smiths a lot but never listen to them at all now. A psychiatrist might say that it's down to inbuilt prejudices against Morrissey but I honestly think that although the tunes are great, the lyrics make me cringe a bit.

Bunnymen have always been a great live band - I feel some of their albums don't quite capture the energy and innovation which their live performances contain.

I saw Blur play on the Rollercoaster tour at Cardiff Ice Rink, 92 - along with Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain - absolutely brilliant... all 4 bands. I blame my slight hearing impairment to that gig.

I don't have an issue with pop music but when Blur ventured into more popish-type songs it seemed to suck the energy and soul out of their liver performances.. parklife, country house, boys and girls - didn't enjoy at all... and then the whole britpop nonsense.. I really disengaged. However, I have developed enormous appreciation for them over the last decade or so - particularly Albarn's stuff. This tour proves they are a great live band.

James are one of the best live bands I've seen even though I wasn't sold on their early stuff.. but seeing them live changed my perception of James completely.

I never liked Oasis - thought they were awful live (on of the worst bands Ive ever seen) and I find both Liam and Noel thick and odious. A few catchy songs that people sing in bars after 8 pints of carling, isn't for me. The High Flying Birds or whatever they are called is just music by numbers. I don't think i'll change my mind about oasis.

Yep I used to see photos of Echo and the Bunneymen in the NME, they looked the part and I knew it was a band I was supposed to like but I rarely listened to them apart from their minor hits. I much prefer them now.

On the other side of the coin I used to listen to The Smiths a lot but never listen to them at all now. A psychiatrist might say that it's down to inbuilt prejudices against Morrissey but I honestly think that although the tunes are great, the lyrics make me cringe a bit.
    Similar with me

I was never into the Smiths - I knew I should have liked them and really liked Johnny Marr as a guitarist - but I find so many Smiths songs a bit boring. I delved more into the more energetic and grungier side of Indie Music in the mid/late 80's - JAMC etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Similar with me

I was never into the Smiths - I knew I should have liked them and really liked Johnny Marr as a guitarist - but I find so many Smiths songs a bit boring. I delved more into the more energetic and grungier side of Indie Music in the mid/late 80's - JAMC etc.
    You might like a newish band BDRMM (pronounced Bedroom}, from Hull. Their first album was brilliant, they have just realised another which is slightly more commercial sounding. Echoes of shoegaze and plenty of doomy thudding guitars

You might like a newish band BDRMM (pronounced Bedroom}, from Hull. Their first album was brilliant, they have just realised another which is slightly more commercial sounding. Echoes of shoegaze and plenty of doomy thudding guitars
    Will check them out!

In terms of the flip side of the coin, I used to listen to a lot of Van Morrison in the 70s/80s. His lyrics were always impenetrable but now I find his voice annoying too!

In terms of the flip side of the coin, I used to listen to a lot of Van Morrison in the 70s/80s. His lyrics were always impenetrable but now I find his voice annoying too!
    Same. Maybe we overdosed.

Roxy, never bothered in 70's 80' probably my most listened on fluff tube at the moment
    similar with the Stone Roses

When Gomez first arrived on the scene in 1998 and won the Mercury prize for their debut album, they completely passed me by.

A few years later, probably around 2003, I took a chance and bought a double pack of their first two albums, played them once, didn’t get on with them and put them in a box in the attic.

Then in 2007, I saw the remake of The Hitcher. The film ends with the Gomez track How We Operate from their 2006 album of the same name. I thought that was a brilliant song, so I bought that album and was quickly hooked.

I’ve subsequently bought everything they’ve released and have seen them live three times. I’ve also seen vocalist Ben Ottewell doing solo live shows on about a dozen occasions. He’s a brilliant musician and his voice is just incredible.

It took me three attempts to get into Gomez, but I now consider them to be one of my favourite bands.

Watching the gig Blur recently recorded for Radio 2 reminded me of how much I wasn't bothered by them in the mid 90s. Wasn't much of a fan of Parklife and really hated the Girls and Boys song. Since then some of the songs Damon Albarn has written are up there with my favourites, with both Blur and Gorillaz.
    As for Blur, I loved their earlier stuff and saw them live several times, including a brilliant gig at the Pontypridd Municipal Hall with Salad in support. Blur were promoting Modern Life Is Rubbish and it was a great night.

Lost interest in them from the Great Escape onwards, although I did still buy all the albums up until the original split.

I have a textured Modern Life Is Rubbish print of the album cover that was given away in tiny numbers with the CD on the day of the album’s release. I got mine in Spillers. It was the only one they’d received. It’s still in mint condition. I bet that’s worth a few quid now.

Tracy Jacks is a great song

But that's about if from Blur

Human League did some great stuff at the time I thought they were crap

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When Gomez first arrived on the scene in 1998 and won the Mercury prize for their debut album, they completely passed me by.

A few years later, probably around 2003, I took a chance and bought a double pack of their first two albums, played them once, didn’t get on with them and put them in a box in the attic.

Then in 2007, I saw the remake of The Hitcher. The film ends with the Gomez track How We Operate from their 2006 album of the same name. I thought that was a brilliant song, so I bought that album and was quickly hooked.

I’ve subsequently bought everything they’ve released and have seen them live three times. I’ve also seen vocalist Ben Ottewell doing solo live shows on about a dozen occasions. He’s a brilliant musician and his voice is just incredible.

It took me three attempts to get into Gomez, but I now consider them to be one of my favourite bands.
    No Music taste whatsoever. Try listening to GoGo Penguin and Newen Afrobeat

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Tracy Jacks is a great song

But that's about if from Blur

Human League did some great stuff at the time I thought they were crap
    Thats about it from Blur. 🤣

Parklife is one of the few albums that I really enjoy every single track.

Oasis were done for me after Wonderwall. Should have been left as a forgotten album track.

I've started to appreciate some of the stuff George Michael did over the past few years or so. I was a kid when Wham were about and that perception just stuck i suppose. Best to listen without prejudice is what i say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've started to appreciate some of the stuff George Michael did over the past few years or so. I was a kid when Wham were about and that perception just stuck i suppose. Best to listen without prejudice is what i say.
    Haven't listened to it for years, but I liked Faith at the time.

Haven't listened to it for years, but I liked Faith at the time.
    Cowboys and Angels is a favourite of mine at the moment. I would have thrown the radio out of the window ten years ago even if it had been mentioned. The Bass on it is incredible.

Its all about tastes. I thought Wham were crap and didnt like George Michaels music either. Just didnt like his voice. Not that I didnt think he was very talented. As he clearly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its all about tastes. I thought Wham were crap and didnt like George Michaels music either. Just didnt like his voice. Not that I didnt think he was very talented. As he clearly was.
    Yeah, i get that. I don't like that many of his songs, but the ones i do like i really enjoy. I have never found an artist or band where i like the majority of their music. Maybe Prefab Sprout come the closest, especially the Jordan The Comeback album, although i'm not a long term listener of music, i get very bored after a few songs from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cowboys and Angels is a favourite of mine at the moment. I would have thrown the radio out of the window ten years ago even if it had been mentioned. The Bass on it is incredible.
    Very mellow song - and as you say, great bass. I know where Hilts is coming from too, but I've found that if you like something you just have to take it at face value. Felt the same about Faith.