+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blur live at the BBC/Bands you didn't like but now do

Re: Blur live at the BBC/Bands you didn't like but now do

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cowboys and Angels is a favourite of mine at the moment. I would have thrown the radio out of the window ten years ago even if it had been mentioned. The Bass on it is incredible.
    My favourite George Michael song.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    As for Blur, I loved their earlier stuff and saw them live several times, including a brilliant gig at the Pontypridd Municipal Hall with Salad in support. Blur were promoting Modern Life Is Rubbish and it was a great night.

Lost interest in them from the Great Escape onwards, although I did still buy all the albums up until the original split.

I have a textured Modern Life Is Rubbish print of the album cover that was given away in tiny numbers with the CD on the day of the album’s release. I got mine in Spillers. It was the only one they’d received. It’s still in mint condition. I bet that’s worth a few quid now.
    Modern Life Is Rubbish is their best album IMO

Bob Dylan and Freddie Mercury/ Queen.
    Couldn’t get into either type of music before, but now I have.

I've started to appreciate some of the stuff George Michael did over the past few years or so. I was a kid when Wham were about and that perception just stuck i suppose. Best to listen without prejudice is what i say.
    Praying for time , father figure , different corner , immense singer and songwriter

Did some right nonsense too though

Yeah, i get that. I don't like that many of his songs, but the ones i do like i really enjoy. I have never found an artist or band where i like the majority of their music. Maybe Prefab Sprout come the closest, especially the Jordan The Comeback album, although i'm not a long term listener of music, i get very bored after a few songs from anyone.
    Prefab Sprout did some superb stuff , he was an amazing songwriter

Steve Mcqueen is loaded with classic classy pop songs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Praying for time , father figure , different corner , immense singer and songwriter

Did some right nonsense too though
    Praying for time and different corner are brilliant songs. Paddy Mcaloon is special, although quite an odd character. He hated touring, despised it. He saw it as something that took him away from his song writing shed, he was prolific apparently, would spend 20 hours a day just writing songs.

I'm the same. I really disliked Wham and that tarnished his solo career in my eyes at the time but now think Freedom 90, A Different Corner and Praying for Time are superb songs.

I think my opinion started to change after the Outside incident and thought the video was a great way to get back at LAPD.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I'm the same. I really disliked Wham and that tarnished his solo career in my eyes at the time but now think Freedom 90, A Different Corner and Praying for Time are superb songs.

I think my opinion started to change after the Outside incident and thought the video was a great way to get back at LAPD.
    My opinion changed on him when he came out and opposed the invasion of Iraq under Blair. He put himself on the line artistically, and i admired that, and he was right!

Prefab Sprout did some superb stuff , he was an amazing songwriter

Steve Mcqueen is loaded with classic classy pop songs
    Paddy McAloon is indeed a great songwriter!

Praying for time and different corner are brilliant songs. Paddy Mcaloon is special, although quite an odd character. He hated touring, despised it. He saw it as something that took him away from his song writing shed, he was prolific apparently, would spend 20 hours a day just writing songs.
    He does seem a bit odd, dressing like Gandalf nowadays :)
    He has had extreme tinnitus for quite a which causes him terrible discomfort and sometimes vertigo making him more reclusive.

I really hated the whole idea of Wham, still do really, but I can remember being out on a Companies House Friday night booze up in what was called TGIF in the late 80s when Different Corner came on the Juke Box. About halfway through it someone called me an ignorant so and so because it was clear I was paying no attention to what they were saying, but the truth was that, for the first time in my life, I was actually listening to a George Michael song rather than just snorting with derision and ignoring it. It’s a lovely song and since that night I had a lot of respect for him - this only increased when I read a few examples of his generously which were revealed after he died.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When Gomez first arrived on the scene in 1998 and won the Mercury prize for their debut album, they completely passed me by.

A few years later, probably around 2003, I took a chance and bought a double pack of their first two albums, played them once, didn’t get on with them and put them in a box in the attic.

Then in 2007, I saw the remake of The Hitcher. The film ends with the Gomez track How We Operate from their 2006 album of the same name. I thought that was a brilliant song, so I bought that album and was quickly hooked.

I’ve subsequently bought everything they’ve released and have seen them live three times. I’ve also seen vocalist Ben Ottewell doing solo live shows on about a dozen occasions. He’s a brilliant musician and his voice is just incredible.

It took me three attempts to get into Gomez, but I now consider them to be one of my favourite bands.
    I remember giving that album that won the Mercury prize a go at the time and thought it was ok but then other records inevitably come along and it got forgotten. I saw them at a festival about 10 years ago and they were great. For some reason I've never delved into their back catalogue though.

Don't hate any music...i just don't listen to music that bores me
    Bands that i missed first time around

The Mekons
    Black flag
    The fall
    Joy division
    Buzzcocks

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Don't hate any music...i just don't listen to music that bores me
    Bands that i missed first time around

The Mekons
    Black flag
    The fall
    Joy division
    Buzzcocks
    I do

Stuff like Europe , Bon Jovi

Giving heavy rock a bad name

At the time it was definitely oasis compared to blur
    And it still is although these days NG high flying birds are great
    Blur never really had any concert anthems compared to oasis and always just seemed a bit up themselves. By opinion hasn’t changed in 25 years so unlikely to change now

I do

Stuff like Europe , Bon Jovi

Giving heavy rock a bad name
    Status Quo fan?

I've started to appreciate some of the stuff George Michael did over the past few years or so. I was a kid when Wham were about and that perception just stuck i suppose. Best to listen without prejudice is what i say.
    I liked Club Tropicana when it came it came out, but was never really a fan of Wham! at the time. Now I think George Michael is a genius. I watched the Wham! documentary last week with the Mrs and it was bloody brilliant. I think some of his solo songs are classics. Praying For Time, Freedom 1990 etc. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Status Quo fan?
    A few great songs but a lot of three chord nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Status Quo fan?
    The Darkness I think.