+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bundesliga 2

Re: Bundesliga 2

Weekend results and there’s a link to the table (albeit after just two games) as well.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/2bundesliga/matchday

A thank you to the mods for switching this thread

I see that a few of the B2 matches are being shown live on the Sky Sports App, including (for the Glatzel-watchers!) the next two Hamburger SV matches - Hertha at home a week on Saturday at 19.30, and Hannover away the following Saturday. Cup weekend this weekend.

Great finish by Glatzel for his second in Hamburg's 5-3 victory over Schalke a couple of weeks ago. By contrast, his goal in the 2-2 draw at Karlsruhe last week just him and went in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Great finish by Glatzel for his second in Hamburg's 5-3 victory over Schalke a couple of weeks ago. By contrast, his goal in the 2-2 draw at Karlsruhe last week just him and went in.
    Hamburger SV v Hertha on Sky Sports App and Sky Sports YouTube at 19.30.

For anyone enjoying the atmosphere in the Bremen match last night, this should also be good - atmosphere wise if not in terms of the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Hamburger SV v Hertha on Sky Sports App and Sky Sports YouTube at 19.30.
    Didn't see the game last night but just watched the highlights. Hamburg top the table (for now, three games being played today) after a comprehensive 3-0 victory. Another goal and an assist for Glatzel. He now has five goals in four league and cup games this season.

Meanwhile, Hertha are rock bottom of the league after three defeats. They haven't even scored a goal yet.

Didn't see the game last night but just watched the highlights. Hamburg top the table (for now, three games being played today) after a comprehensive 3-0 victory. Another goal and an assist for Glatzel. He now has five goals in four league and cup games this season.

Meanwhile, Hertha are rock bottom of the league after three defeats. They haven't even scored a goal yet.
    I watched all of it, and it did nothing to change my long-held view that the Championship is a stronger league - but that may just have been because Hertha were so shockingly bad!

I watched all of it, and it did nothing to change my long-held view that the Championship is a stronger league - but that may just have been because Hertha were so shockingly bad!
    I think in terms of the pyramid of football, then English Football (and Welsh!) is the highest standard there is really. There can't be much in it between us and the 2. Bundesliga mind. After that I think German football does drop off a bit. It is heavily regionalised from tier 4 onwards and the results in the early stages of the German cup in the last couple of weeks suggest a bigger gulf than exists here. Quite a few 7-0, 8-1 type results

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think in terms of the pyramid of football, then English Football (and Welsh!) is the highest standard there is really. There can't be much in it between us and the 2. Bundesliga mind. After that I think German football does drop off a bit. It is heavily regionalised from tier 4 onwards and the results in the early stages of the German cup in the last couple of weeks suggest a bigger gulf than exists here. Quite a few 7-0, 8-1 type results
    are you saying the welsh pyramid is a high standard

Qualification for the German FA Cup is quite odd. This from wikipedia:

"The DFB-Pokal begins with a round of 64 teams. The 36 teams of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga, along with the top four finishers of the 3. Liga are automatically qualified for the tournament. Of the remaining slots 21 are given to the cup winners of the regional football associations, the Verbandspokale. The three remaining slots are given to the three regional associations with the most men's teams. They may assign the slot as they see fit but usually give it to the runner-up in the association cup."

So you could finish 5th in the third tier but not qualify while a village team would, hence the 0-7s and 1-8s.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    are you saying the welsh pyramid is a high standard
    Nah, I'm saying the English football league system includes some teams from Wales 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Qualification for the German FA Cup is quite odd. This from wikipedia:

"The DFB-Pokal begins with a round of 64 teams. The 36 teams of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga, along with the top four finishers of the 3. Liga are automatically qualified for the tournament. Of the remaining slots 21 are given to the cup winners of the regional football associations, the Verbandspokale. The three remaining slots are given to the three regional associations with the most men's teams. They may assign the slot as they see fit but usually give it to the runner-up in the association cup."

So you could finish 5th in the third tier but not qualify while a village team would, hence the 0-7s and 1-8s.
    Ah that is interesting. I had actually noticed before that not everyone in the 3rd tier qualified, which I always found strange but just assumed the other teams were from the regionaliga but had never pondered why.

That is a good explanation for the heavy defeats, cheers

Ah that is interesting. I had actually noticed before that not everyone in the 3rd tier qualified, which I always found strange but just assumed the other teams were from the regionaliga but had never pondered why.

That is a good explanation for the heavy defeats, cheers
    Yes, interesting. Probably gives a bit more opportunity to really small teams than the FA Cup system, even it does mean that the 'team down the road' might be in line for a heavy hammering!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Watching HSV win away against Hannover tonight I'm going to go early and say they will walk the title this year.

Hertha starting to re-awaken with a 5-0 against Greuther Furth. Dardai's youngest offspring starring.

Schalke 04 3rd from bottom after losing at home to Holstein Kiel in the Friday night match.

Fascinating stuff, if you like this sort of thing 🤣🤣

Not many small clubs in Germany’s second tier this season and plenty of relatively big ones. It’s interesting (or at least I think so…) to compare this season’s top Bundesliga 2 attendances so far for each of their biggest clubs with the top Championship attendances for each of our division’s biggest clubs. The top twenty would look like this:

61,800 – Schalke
    57,000 – Hamburg
    49,000 – Hannover
    44,400 – Sunderland
    44,000 – Kaiserslautern
    40,400 – Dusseldorf
    40,100 – Hertha Berlin
    36,400 – Leeds
    33,000 – Karlsruhe
    31,800 – Leicester
    30,400 – Southampton
    30,000 – Nuremburg
    29,600 – Ipswich
    29,500 – St Pauli
    29,400 – Middlesbrough
    29,000 – Hansa Rostock
    28,500 – Sheffield Wednesday
    28.300 – Magdeburg
    26,200 – Norwich
    25,700 – Coventry

Eleven German clubs and nine English clubs would make the top twenty, with German sides filling seven of the top ten places.

Not many small clubs in Germany’s second tier this season and plenty of relatively big ones. It’s interesting (or at least I think so…) to compare this season’s top Bundesliga 2 attendances so far for each of their biggest clubs with the top Championship attendances for each of our division’s biggest clubs. The top twenty would look like this:

61,800 – Schalke
    57,000 – Hamburg
    49,000 – Hannover
    44,400 – Sunderland
    44,000 – Kaiserslautern
    40,400 – Dusseldorf
    40,100 – Hertha Berlin
    36,400 – Leeds
    33,000 – Karlsruhe
    31,800 – Leicester
    30,400 – Southampton
    30,000 – Nuremburg
    29,600 – Ipswich
    29,500 – St Pauli
    29,400 – Middlesbrough
    29,000 – Hansa Rostock
    28,500 – Sheffield Wednesday
    28.300 – Magdeburg
    26,200 – Norwich
    25,700 – Coventry

Eleven German clubs and nine English clubs would make the top twenty, with German sides filling seven of the top ten places.
    Last season Sunderland might be the only ones in the top 10 I'm guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Last season Sunderland might be the only ones in the top 10 I'm guessing
    Schalke and Hertha were relegated last season, so they wouldn't be in the top ten.

Schalke and Hertha were relegated last season, so they wouldn't be in the top ten.
    Yes but I'm presuming Nuremberg and St Pauli attendances would have been higher than those of Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton

Yes but I'm presuming Nuremberg and St Pauli attendances would have been higher than those of Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton
    Based on last season's average attendances, Sunderland (3rd), Sheffield Utd (8th), Norwich (9th) and Middlesbrough (10th), would all have made the combined top ten.

Bear in mind the figures I quoted are merely the biggest attendances so far for each of the clubs, not their overall average. It'll be interesting to see how it works out over the season, especially if some of the bigger clubs in the German second tier struggle. But there's no doubting there are some big clubs in that division this season.

Based on last season's average attendances, Sunderland (3rd), Sheffield Utd (8th), Norwich (9th) and Middlesbrough (10th), would all have made the combined top ten.

Bear in mind the figures I quoted are merely the biggest attendances so far for each of the clubs, not their overall average. It'll be interesting to see how it works out over the season, especially if some of the bigger clubs in the German second tier struggle. But there's no doubting there are some big clubs in that division this season.
    Ah ok I thought they were average attendances. Didn't read thoroughly

Ah ok I thought they were average attendances. Didn't read thoroughly
    Schalke's two home attendances so far:

61,801 v Kaiserslautern
    60,403 v Holstein Kiel

Meanwhile, both of Hamburg's games have been 57,000 sell-outs.

Crazy that clubs with that sort of support are in the second tier of any country.

61,801 v Kaiserslautern
    60,403 v Holstein Kiel

Crazy that clubs with that sort of support are in the second tier of any country.
    I recalled reading this from earlier this year. Quite refreshing for a club who are notorious underachievers but still average 30,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...season-germany

61,801 v Kaiserslautern
    60,403 v Holstein Kiel

I didn't realise Schalke were that well supported. Especially noteworthy given that Dortmund and Bochum are on the doorstep.
    Be interesting to see if crowds hold up if they don't start picking up some form soon.

I didn't realise Schalke were that well supported. Especially noteworthy given that Dortmund and Bochum are on the doorstep.
    Be interesting to see if crowds hold up if they don't start picking up some form soon.
    Traditionally well supported, proud working class city, Gelsenkirchen. Would be interesting to see a ‘ticket price’ table. I’d imagine German football is more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Traditionally well supported, proud working class city, Gelsenkirchen. Would be interesting to see a ‘ticket price’ table. I’d imagine German football is more affordable.
    Yes, I'd be interested to see that. My impression is that at the top end it is about the same or slightly more than here. I had to pay more than £60 (through official club lines) for my Hamburg derby ticket earlier this year. On the other hand you can stand on the Ostkurve at Hertha (and no doubt other grounds) for around £12-15.