+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bundesliga 2

Re: Bundesliga 2

German football isn't as cheap as it was (where is?!) But it is still generally more affordable than here.

Go back 20 years and their stadiums were way 'behind' ours but a lot got improved for the 2006 world cup and now nearly all their grounds are very modern. There are very few of the traditional large curved open terraces etc left.

All that needs paying for I guess and at the top end I think tickets are more or less the same as here. At Dortmund for example the priciest tickets are €61. Indeed, one could argue they are more expensive as I don't think kids ticket prices are universally applicable in Germany, unlike the UK where they (nearly) always are.

The difference is at the lower end, where you can stand at Dortmund for €18.50.

I think that kind of pricing structure is in place pretty much thoughtoht the leagues, with it obviously getting cheaper the lower you go and concession prices probably become more readily available.

Just checked and Hannover 96, who are in 2.Bundesliga and are a club probably similar to us in terms of status (and whom I once watched in their old ground!), have their most expensive tickets at €37. Similar to here really.

Generally I vastly prefer their model. Mainly because they have terraces but also because they cater for all price points. I care little what the top price at clubs is, and I care more that the lowest price is affordable, and German clubs do that. There is also much less of the general bullshit like cashless grounds and you are more likely to get free train travel included in the match ticket etc - something City could easily work with TfW on.

Overall, Germany 1-0 UK

Watched this the other day, quite a good breakdown of why traditionally bigger clubs are down in the 2nd tier.

https://youtu.be/VrrMZ2GsC5g?si=Yz-R-omplOmgXxEH

Quite a game in Bundesliga 2 this morning:

Magdeburg 6 Hertha Berlin 4

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Quite a game in Bundesliga 2 this morning:

Magdeburg 6 Hertha Berlin 4
    Just looked. 2-3 at HT and 3-4 after 55 mins? Strange result, although nothing surprises with Hertha these days!.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Watched this the other day, quite a good breakdown of why traditionally bigger clubs are down in the 2nd tier.

https://youtu.be/VrrMZ2GsC5g?si=Yz-R-omplOmgXxEH
    Other than the slightly irritating style of presentation, that's a really interesting watch Der Kaiser.

Only just catching up properly on the results from last weekend, I think it might have been a case of Dirty Harry syndrome - In all that excitement, I clean forgot.

B2 didn't lack excitement of its own, 37 goals in 9 games. Honourable mentions to Elversberg beating HSV, St Pauli hammering high flying Holstien Kiel and Hannover netting 7. Add to that a thriller at Schalke, Düsseldorf going top with a fine away win and Hertha coasting to a win to ease the pressure on them.

This week we have Union making their Champions League debut at little old Real Madrid. Hope they give a good account of themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Only just catching up properly on the results from last weekend, I think it might have been a case of Dirty Harry syndrome - In all that excitement, I clean forgot.

B2 didn't lack excitement of its own, 37 goals in 9 games. Honourable mentions to Elversberg beating HSV, St Pauli hammering high flying Holstien Kiel and Hannover netting 7. Add to that a thriller at Schalke, Düsseldorf going top with a fine away win and Hertha coasting to a win to ease the pressure on them.

This week we have Union making their Champions League debut at little old Real Madrid. Hope they give a good account of themselves
    Another lively weekend in B2! After the Magdeburg 6 Hertha 4 result last weekend - Magdeburg go on to lose 4-0 and Hertha win 3-0 this weekend. As you say, some interesting and surprising results - especially the Hamburg one.

I was actually at the St. Pauli match. Sadly though I got an email just before kick-off to say easyjet had cancelled my flight back. Had to leave at half-time (with SP 3 up) to go and sort out the mess that ensued. Interesting to note (looking at the other threads) that the minute's silence was held and respected by both sets of fans . Always surprises me with the amount of beer consumed outside and in the ground!

Yep, be good to see Union doing well this week.

Ooops - 4-3 at Schalke. Closer than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Another lively weekend in B2! After the Magdeburg 6 Hertha 4 result last weekend - Magdeburg go on to lose 4-0 and Hertha win 3-0 this weekend. As you say, some interesting and surprising results - especially the Hamburg one.

I was actually at the St. Pauli match. Sadly though I got an email just before kick-off to say easyjet had cancelled my flight back. Had to leave at half-time (with SP 3 up) to go and sort out the mess that ensued. Interesting to note (looking at the other threads) that the minute's silence was held and respected by both sets of fans . Always surprises me with the amount of beer consumed outside and in the ground!

Yep, be good to see Union doing well this week.
    Would you say that there is just as much of a drinking culture over there then Peter?

I always assumed it would be more restrained

St Pauli only scored eight in six matches with more than half of them coming last weekend!

Never heard of Elversberg before.

https://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=germany2

Would you say that there is just as much of a drinking culture over there then Peter?

I would say it is not more restrained, Harry. It's certainly more overt over there - you see loads of people drinking in the streets, public transport etc. before matches - more so than here I would say, where the drinking culture is more pub based?. I think that they are clamping down inside the grounds now too. There was no alcohol being sold at the Hamburg derby games last year, for instance.

I would say it is not more restrained, Harry. It's certainly more overt over there - you see loads of people drinking in the streets, public transport etc. before matches - more so than here I would say, where the drinking culture is more pub based?. I think that they are clamping down inside the grounds now too. There was no alcohol being sold at the Hamburg derby games last year, for instance.
    Interesting that.

Yes definitely more pub based here, I'm not sure what the legislation is with regards to drinking in the street these days? I know they started clamping down on it a few years ago

In my experience, which is admittedly limited to just three Bundesliga matches and one game in the lower divisions, the attitude to drinking alcohol before and during matches in Germany was much more relaxed. There were loads of outlets serving beer in and around the Olympiastadion on my three visits to watch Hertha Berlin (the latest of which was in 2019), and fans were able to drink pretty much everywhere, including inside the stadium bowl while watching the games. If memory serves, you paid a 2 euro deposit on a big plastic beer jug with Hertha's logo on the side and it could be refilled as many times as you liked during the match. You handed the jug back on your way out and got your deposit back then.

I went to see Tennis Borussia Berlin play in the fifth division in late-November 2018, and my partner at the time was delighted that she was able to sit in the grandstand and watch the game while drinking mulled wine.

[QUOTE=The Lone Gunman;5455623

I went to see Tennis Borussia Berlin play [/QUOTE]

I had to look them up. I imagined they'd be another team from the old east. I didn't realise that they are another Charlottenburg team, not far from the Olympiastadion. Crowds of a few hundred and quite an interesting history!

I had to look them up. I imagined they'd be another team from the old east. I didn't realise that they are another Charlottenburg team, not far from the Olympiastadion. Crowds of a few hundred and quite an interesting history!
    One season in the Bundesliga I believe, something like 1971 or 1972?

They were unbeaten in the league when I saw them play local rivals CFC Hertha 06 on a very cold late-November evening. They got hammered 4-0. The crowd was about 600 I think. One thing that tickled me was they had a signing section on the terrace on the opposite side of the the ground to where we were sat, and many of the songs they were signing were in English. Halfway through the second half at 0-3 down they were signing "show me the way to go home...."

They were unbeaten in the league when I saw them play local rivals CFC Hertha 06 on a very cold late-November evening. They got hammered 4-0. The crowd was about 600 I think. One thing that tickled me was they had a signing section on the terrace on the opposite side of the the ground to where we were sat, and many of the songs they were signing were in English. Halfway through the second half at 0-3 down they were signing "show me the way to go home...."

Who says Germans don't have a sense of humour.

My 56 year old brain is struggling to recall a particular team that has a massive Christmas festival at their stadium every year. I seem to recall that it starts after a match? Mulled wine on the terraces is very civilised I must say

My 56 year old brain is struggling to recall a particular team that has a massive Christmas festival at their stadium every year. I seem to recall that it starts after a match? Mulled wine on the terraces is very civilised I must say
    Just Googled it and it seems Union Berlin have some sort of an annual Christmas carol singing festival.

That's it 👍

Who says Germans don't have a sense of humour.
    We were sitting in a pub after the St Pauli game on Sunday trying to figure out how the hell we were going to get home when a group of St Pauli fans joined us at the table. Great result, I said to them. "Not really" came back the reply. "I'd got used to sitting there comfortably during the matches this season, and today I had to stand up five time". German humour, I guess.

We were sitting in a pub after the St Pauli game on Sunday trying to figure out how the hell we were going to get home when a group of St Pauli fans joined us at the table. Great result, I said to them. "Not really" came back the reply. "I'd got used to sitting there comfortably during the matches this season, and today I had to stand up five time". German humour, I guess.
    Fair play, not bad for an off the cuff joke. I like fans who don't take things too seriously.

How many autographs did you get in the signing section David?

https://www.youtube.com/live/yxaPmHG...1nGrKSj0YwEQbT

St Pauli Schalke live on YouTube tonight. I didn't know they put these games on before now

https://www.youtube.com/live/yxaPmHG...1nGrKSj0YwEQbT

St Pauli Schalke live on YouTube tonight. I didn't know they put these games on before now
    Nor me. Is there one on every weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nor me. Is there one on every weekend?
    Looks like it, a few games on live next weekend