Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bundesliga 2

I meant to post this last week.

Attendances in 2.Bundesliga outstripped the top flight last weekend

https://onefootball.com/en/news/fans...-time-39071754

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Just a short additional point. I was at St. Pauli v Rostock on Friday. They hate each other. A few seasons back Rostock fans smashed up all the toilets. They were banned for the match after, but Pauli fans being Pauli fans took the view that nobody should be banned from a football match, and they've been let back. So, on Friday the club closed the away end toilets but provided porta-loos. They also stated that for every porta-loo left undamaged they would pay 100 euros to Rostock's youth development team. Apparently no damage was reported. Very German football!
    Been following the season closely but didn't know of the toilet story. What a refreshing way of dealing with a potential problem. I'm guessing if that happened over here they'd receive an anti 'woke' backlash. I know that Rostock have a large far right fan presence so glad to see St Pauli flush them away.

Would love to see them gain promotion on Friday but playing two out of the current bottom three in their remaining games, surely they'll make it anyway

Just a short additional point. I was at St. Pauli v Rostock on Friday. They hate each other. A few seasons back Rostock fans smashed up all the toilets. They were banned for the match after, but Pauli fans being Pauli fans took the view that nobody should be banned from a football match, and they've been let back. So, on Friday the club closed the away end toilets but provided porta-loos. They also stated that for every porta-loo left undamaged they would pay 100 euros to Rostock's youth development team. Apparently no damage was reported. Very German football!
    Great story and shows how the carrot can be more powerful than the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    FT: Hamburg 1 - 0 St Pauli

Winning goal by Robert Glatzel on 85 mins.
    Glatzel’s Bundesliga 2 record for Hamburg now reads 60 goals in 95 (+3) appearances.

Quite incredible really. And, as usual, another 57,000 crowd at Hamburg this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Glatzel’s Bundesliga 2 record for Hamburg now reads 60 goals in 95 (+3) appearances.

Quite incredible really. And, as usual, another 57,000 crowd at Hamburg this evening.
    Astonishing return, pleased for him.

Always thought good he looked in the lockdown payoff run.

Our management clearly thought differently

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Astonishing return, pleased for him.

Always thought good he looked in the lockdown payoff run.

Our management clearly thought differently
    A good technical player, City probably didn’t know what to do with him.

Still optimistic that the right team in Hamburg will be the only ones promoted from that city.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A good technical player, City probably didn’t know what to do with him.

Still optimistic that the right team in Hamburg will be the only ones promoted from that city.
    Only one can get promoted after tonight. Yet another disappointing season for HSV.

St Pauli will be promoted along with Kiel if Kiel beat Dusseldorf at home tomorrow night. Failing that, a win at home to bottom of the table Osnabruck on Sunday lunchtime will also secure promotion.

The team who finish 3rd look set for a playoff against either Mainz or Union Berlin. Union have had a very poor season considering they played in the Champions League. Wonder how many CL participants have ever gone on the be relegated? My guess is none.

Only one can get promoted after tonight. Yet another disappointing season for HSV.

St Pauli will be promoted along with Kiel if Kiel beat Dusseldorf at home tomorrow night. Failing that, a win at home to bottom of the table Osnabruck on Sunday lunchtime will also secure promotion.

The team who finish 3rd look set for a playoff against either Mainz or Union Berlin. Union have had a very poor season considering they played in the Champions League. Wonder how many CL participants have ever gone on the be relegated? My guess is none.
    Union’s rapid decline is surprising isn’t it. They parted company with the coach who had led them through the promotion and CL qualification and have also spent on higher profile players. Sounds like it hasn’t worked out. Having said that Mainz appear to have the tougher run-in.

I’m in Berlin at the moment visiting family. Actually watching Hertha later in a game that is a bit of a dead rubber. Then off to St. Pauli tomorrow for one that definitely isn‘t! As you say, all eyes on the Kiel v Düsseldorf match tonight though!

Final round of Bundesliga games is at 14.30 today, with 2 of Köln, Union Berlin, Mainz and Bochum to occupy the final relegation and the relegation play-off spots. Köln look most likely to get relegated today, but could still just catch Union Berlin. Union look the most likely to face a play-off against Düsseldorf. (All umlauts present and correct TBG )

Personal feelings aside, Hamburg’s failure to win promotion for a fourth season is it now is a real surprise. Wasn’t aware of Union Berlin’s struggles, presumably their squad wasn’t good or deep enough to cope with the extra games they would have played?

I think it's 6, they went down in 2018.
    Compared to some of their recent seasons, this one has been a bit less dramatic. They have done a real 'Devon Lock' a couple of times.

I wish them no ill will, I just happen to follow St Pauli. There can't be a bigger club playing in the 2nd tier of any league in world football? I know River Plate went down for one season about 10 years ago but since then nothing compares to HSV.

Union’s rapid decline is surprising isn’t it. They parted company with the coach who had led them through the promotion and CL qualification and have also spent on higher profile players. Sounds like it hasn’t worked out. Having said that Mainz appear to have the tougher run-in.

I’m in Berlin at the moment visiting family. Actually watching Hertha later in a game that is a bit of a dead rubber. Then off to St. Pauli tomorrow for one that definitely isn‘t! As you say, all eyes on the Kiel v Düsseldorf match tonight though!
    That's a heck a ticket to have for tomorrow Peter!

The goals have dried up a bit in recent games so I'm hoping s Kiel win tonight will make it more of a celebration game at the Millerntor.

That's a heck a ticket to have for tomorrow Peter!

The goals have dried up a bit in recent games so I'm hoping s Kiel win tonight will make it more of a celebration game at the Millerntor.
    67 000 at hertha today. For a 2nd div match with nothing much resting on it. Extraordinary really. It’s not as if the ‚there’s not much else to do there‘ theory applies!

This seems the most appropriate place to post this: last week I saw two games in Vienna - a second division game which kicked off at 10.30am for some reason and then Rapid v Red Bull Salzburg with Cardiff legend* Guido Burgstaller, now 35, scoring the 2nd goal in a 2-0 win. A similar vibe to games in Germany - lots of persistent flag waving, a big net behind each goal and a club song before the game. Not a Hey Jude type of thing; a proper bespoke tune written about the club. Rapid's sounded like a Eurovision ballad from the 80s. Nul points. I remember Hoffenheim's club song was heavy metal. Not really recommended as something to do here but quite interesting to experience as a tourist.

*Not a legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    This seems the most appropriate place to post this: last week I saw two games in Vienna - a second division game which kicked off at 10.30am for some reason and then Rapid v Red Bull Salzburg with Cardiff legend* Guido Burgstaller, now 35, scoring the 2nd goal in a 2-0 win. A similar vibe to games in Germany - lots of persistent flag waving, a big net behind each goal and a club song before the game. Not a Hey Jude type of thing; a proper bespoke tune written about the club. Rapid's sounded like a Eurovision ballad from the 80s. Nul points. I remember Hoffenheim's club song was heavy metal. Not really recommended as something to do here but quite interesting to experience as a tourist.

*Not a legend
    Didn't know Burgstaller was still playing!. Red Bull seem to have that league properly sewn up.

Didn't know Burgstaller was still playing!. Red Bull seem to have that league properly sewn up.
    They've won the last ten but they're currently second to Sturm Graz. I wasn't that impressed by them, unless it was just an off day. Rapid snuffed them out and it got scrappy and RBS didn't produce much at all.

Kiel 1 Düsseldorf 1, so a draw will do for St Pauli tomorrow.

Watched on the YouTube stream, great that we can get these games for free. Very good game and a fair result I thought. Struck me how civilised the celebrations were. Congratulations to Kiel.

Well done for including the umlauts! (It makes a difference in the sound of the vowel).

St Pauli promoted! Congratulations to them and those who follow them on here.

Depending on what happens with the play offs and if Koln stay up, I make it that 2.Bundesliga could have eight 50,000+ stadiums next season to a mere five in the top flight. Bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    St Pauli promoted! Congratulations to them and those who follow them on here.

Depending on what happens with the play offs and if Koln stay up, I make it that 2.Bundesliga could have eight 50,000+ stadiums next season to a mere five in the top flight. Bizarre
    Yes, promoted Kiel's stadium only holds 15k and Koln could yet be going in the opposite direction. At least 1 FCK with their 50k stadium have just avoided going down to the third level!. I was fortunate enough to be there to witness St. Pauli's promotion yesterday. Their stadium is smaller than ours - although aways sells out, and they manage to create a hell of an atmosphere.

Pictures from before Sunday's game

https://x.com/TheyThinkKits/status/1789682681262797256

Some end to the season this, Union game has everything going on!

It's nice that Skysports puts some games on the youtubes for free but couldn't they have chosen the Union game, or did you have to pay for that one? Still, got to see Bayern fall apart again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    It's nice that Skysports puts some games on the youtubes for free but couldn't they have chosen the Union game, or did you have to pay for that one? Still, got to see Bayern fall apart again.
    Yes - I was hoping to watch the Union game, but had to make do with Bayern!. Sounded like a mad last 15 minutes at Union. Did you find somewhere to watch it bluesp?