+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VPN

VPN

With the new season looming, I think it's about time I started using a VPN to watch all those games I can't get to myself. I have a season ticket, and go to some aways, and try to catch the rest online. I don't mind paying the club for the ones they show, but I'd like to be able to watch more of the 3pm Saturday kick-offs. Hence the interest in VPN.
    I know the principle of how they work, but not how you might use them to stream a football match. Anyone care to explain what you need to do?

Re: VPN

A VPN is a virtual private network, used to “hide” your home IP address somewhere else in the world. You would in theory use this when using IPTV channels which may or may not show sport, allegedly

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    With the new season looming, I think it's about time I started using a VPN to watch all those games I can't get to myself. I have a season ticket, and go to some aways, and try to catch the rest online. I don't mind paying the club for the ones they show, but I'd like to be able to watch more of the 3pm Saturday kick-offs. Hence the interest in VPN.
    I know the principle of how they work, but not how you might use them to stream a football match. Anyone care to explain what you need to do?
    The VPN is just to cover your tracks, it doesn't dish out football streams. You need an IPTV provider for that.

Okay, my apologies, maybe I didn't make myself very clear. I know what a VPN is, and I know how they work. I also know about football streaming - I use them a lot already. But every so often, there are City away games (usually on a Satturday), that you just can't find. However, we know that CCFC streams all the away games for overseas viewing, so I want to use the VPN to 'fool' the CCFC website, so that it allows me to watch the away matches via City TV, even though I'm still here in the UK. So.. I get the VPN, use it to log on to CCFC website, but surely when I log in, it will 'know' I'm in the UK because of my email address? Or does that not make a diffference?

Okay, my apologies, maybe I didn't make myself very clear. I know what a VPN is, and I know how they work. I also know about football streaming - I use them a lot already. But every so often, there are City away games (usually on a Satturday), that you just can't find. However, we know that CCFC streams all the away games for overseas viewing, so I want to use the VPN to 'fool' the CCFC website, so that it allows me to watch the away matches via City TV, even though I'm still here in the UK. So.. I get the VPN, use it to log on to CCFC website, but surely when I log in, it will 'know' I'm in the UK because of my email address? Or does that not make a diffference?
    i am based abroad, when some games are not shown in Spain for rights issues i use the VPN to go to Cypress or Malta and then i get the stream no problem.

I've used ExpressVPN for years, works fine.

After a bit of research I've just signed up to Nord VPN. It was a toss up between that and Express

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    After a bit of research I've just signed up to Nord VPN. It was a toss up between that and Express
    I use Nord. It works well. It can't get around BBC iPlayer though.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Are they free?

If not whats the best free one?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Are they free?

If not whats the best free one?
    Express VPN isn't free but recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Express VPN is fine for BBC iPlayer.

I thought VPN stood for Visible Panty Line .

the free ones don't work that well and will slow down your device

I use NordVPN - paid for but very good.When I was in the UK I very often used the VPN to 'fool' CCFC live football stream into thinking I was abroad.....it is £10 per match or (I thin) £140 season ticket to watch ALL games.
    You will find that even though you use a VPN SOMETIME S certain games are only available abroad if set to Netherlands.....

of course if you use 'other' free streams, which I tend to post (not broadcast...) then you don't need the VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Express VPN is fine for BBC iPlayer.
    I can log in to ITV fine. I watched that show about Crossroads. I can watch SKY highlights etc. Can't watch the BBC though. What country do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I always found Tunnelbear decent, has a certain amount for free each month, think its 2 gig, which would be enough for 1 game a month

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    i use incognito mode in Chrome when i get that issue, that does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    That because they are mining bitcoin

Is Atlas VPN any good?

Does the official city streaming service work if you are abroad?
    If it doesn’t then you’ll need a von or proxy server to make it look like you are in the uk

There are always countless dodgy streams but usually full of ads and they never fully work and can drop for no reason.
    So if possible it’s always better and legal to use the official channel
    Other people’s opinion may vary…

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Does the official city streaming service work if you are abroad?
    If it doesn’t then you’ll need a von or proxy server to make it look like you are in the uk

There are always countless dodgy streams but usually full of ads and they never fully work and can drop for no reason.
    So if possible it’s always better and legal to use the official channel
    Other people’s opinion may vary…
    Yes...and NO.....I am in France, so don't need a VPN or Proxy to view games on Club TV. Having said that, I cannot get it to display using my default browser Firefox......I just get a spinning wheel.....(even after I have paid my £10...). Same goes for Chrome much of the time. Maybe it is because I have all sorts of firewalls on these stopping adverts and video popups on newspapers.

SO, when I DO need to watch on club TV I use MS EDGE browser......usually works....the ONLY thing I use that browser for.
    If it doesn't , don't old your breath for a refund.....

I've used Tunnelbear (free, but limited), Surfshark for my fire stick, but Norton offers VPN and for less than £20, you can install it on up to ten devices for a year. No issues with any of those.

I use Express…it’s good…but doesn’t make Cardiff City TV (and the awful commentators) any better! ….only use them if there’s no other option.

I use IP Vanish.

Pay about £69 for three years. It comes in handy when abroad and my son uses it for US content when browsing.

Most of these companies give a month free. Test them out.

I use the free wind scribe it does slow it down a bit but I turn it off a couple of minutes after it is connected then the stream is ok usually