+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve McPhail...

Steve McPhail...

One of City's greats, no doubt.

But I just came across a new fact (to me anyway) - he was a part of the Cardiff side that were FA Cup runners-up in 2008, Championship play-off final runners-up in 2010 and League Cup runners-up in 2012.

I was there for each of those games - were you?

And did any other players make all 3 games alongside McPhail?

Re: Steve McPhail...

Haven't checked but Whittingham and McNaughton were regular picks throughout that period and would definitely have played barring injury.

McNaughton and Whittingham played in all three games. McPhail didn’t play in the League Cup final.

I was there. Unlike Mcphail.🤣

Was it around that time that he first started getting symptoms of Sjogrens Syndrome, so was out for most of the 11/12 season?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    McNaughton and Whittingham played in all three games. McPhail didn’t play in the League Cup final.
    all 3 were signed in the same transfer window for a total of £500k

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So McNaughton and Whitts were our club jinxes then!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    all 3 were signed in the same transfer window for a total of £500k
    I thought that Whittingham came in the January for 350k and Mcphail during the summer for 500 k, macnaughton during the summer for 250k. Probably way off....again...

I always liked McPhail, left I was constantly defending him when he was with us because he wasn’t the all action midfielder some love. Him and Scimeca together were brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I thought that Whittingham came in the January for 350k and Mcphail during the summer for 500 k, macnaughton during the summer for 250k. Probably way off....again...
    Weren't McNaughton and McPhail both free transfers?

They certainly didn't all arrive in the same summer, Whitts came in January

Whitts joined for 350k, or 2 payments of £175k. Ridsdale confirmed that and said O’Neill was a nightmare as he kept changing his mind. He took the 7 shirt we’d kept in case we found 2m down the back of the sofa to get Koumas back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I always liked McPhail, left I was constantly defending him when he was with us because he wasn’t the all action midfielder some love. Him and Scimeca together were brilliant.
    Yes, I always felt he was undervalued by fans, and - as you say - that partnership with Scimeca was excellent at times. Didn't Scimeca get injured around Christmas and that season fell away a bit after that? (memory playing tricks probably)

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Yes, I always felt he was undervalued by fans, and - as you say - that partnership with Scimeca was excellent at times. Didn't Scimeca get injured around Christmas and that season fell away a bit after that? (memory playing tricks probably)
    I think the problem was the calendar kept insisting on including November. But for that, we'd have coasted to promotion in any given Jones season.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

You could well be right. Mc naughton was 22 I think. I'm sure we paid a fee for Mcphail. Those two joined during the summer of 2006 I think, along with Tom Heaton?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

You could well be right. Mc naughton was 22 I think. I'm sure we paid a fee for Mcphail. Those two joined during the summer of 2006 I think, along with Tom Heaton?

We signed Chopra that summer, too. Him and McPhail had played together at Barnsley

Mcphail was a bosman free. Played for Barnsley in the play off final v Swansea and then left.