+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, are you one of the 1,000s whose first thought on waking up today was

So, are you one of the 1,000s whose first thought on waking up today was

The Welsh Fire are playing today? I’m not, I’ve just remembered that the team who were the story of last season’s Hundred for many were playing this morning (in the women’s match) and afternoon in the men’s case. I watched about three quarters of an hour of yesterday’s match on BBC and they had some bloke commentating on there who was clearly trying to introduce a catchphrase to the tune of you never know what’s going to happen in the Hundred - my immediate response was that you knew exactly what was going to happen when the Welsh Fire men’s team played in 2022 (at least the women managed to win one match)!

Actually, if the weather forecast turns out as predicted, the men’s team may well have more points by tonight than they managed through all of last year. Seriously, the franchise cannot afford a repeat of last year’s disastrous results and you’d like to think that the squad has been improved if everyone is fit and available.

Re: So, are you one of the 1,000s whose first thought on waking up today was

I enjoy all formats of cricket from test to T20 and including the women's game, but I'm afraid the 100 has left me behind. It's just too many changes at once for me. 5 ball overs, made up teams, players with no connection to the region they play for. And then the Ashes, compressed into a stupidly tight schedule in order to get it out of the way in time for this nonsense. I probably sound like one of those ridiculous MCC dinosaurs with their stripy ties, but I just can't be doing with it.
    Last edited by Eric The Blue; 02-08-23 at 04:45. Reason: Typo

I watched about 20 minutes of yesterday's game. I'm still getting to grips with the TV scorecard and, even though each over (or set) is just 5 deliveries, found myself converting the runs required into runs per (6 ball) over.
    I wouldn't have known the Welsh team were playing today if you hadn't mentioned it.

First Team

No interest whatsoever.
    I don't even know which potato snack product i am supposed to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Welsh Fire are playing today? I’m not, I’ve just remembered that the team who were the story of last season’s Hundred for many were playing this morning (in the women’s match) and afternoon in the men’s case. I watched about three quarters of an hour of yesterday’s match on BBC and they had some bloke commentating on there who was clearly trying to introduce a catchphrase to the tune of you never know what’s going to happen in the Hundred - my immediate response was that you knew exactly what was going to happen when the Welsh Fire men’s team played in 2022 (at least the women managed to win one match)!

Actually, if the weather forecast turns out as predicted, the men’s team may well have more points by tonight than they managed through all of last year. Seriously, the franchise cannot afford a repeat of last year’s disastrous results and you’d like to think that the squad has been improved if everyone is fit and available.
    I like the games. The men’s game ending yesterday was good. A decent ending. . Based on crowds and sales it’s here to stay.

For the second year on the trot I’m off to watch brave vs Welsh this Friday in Soton. I’d hope they give me something to support and actually make a game of it this year. My hips are low.

I want to support Welsh but I feel no connection to them and my normally Welsh supporting kids have split their support between brave and one of the London teams which they have just as much affiliation too and those teams win a few games

As a side note I think Welsh should have been called Western to get more support etc and not try to create a specific link to wales.

Q

I’m another in the no interest camp. Never seen a game, have no idea who plays for who or even what the format is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I watched about 20 minutes of yesterday's game. I'm still getting to grips with the TV scorecard and, even though each over (or set) is just 5 deliveries, found myself converting the runs required into runs per (6 ball) over.
    I wouldn't have known the Welsh team were playing today if you hadn't mentioned it.
    I was doing exactly the same as you when it came to the five ball sets.

Here's the Welsh Fire squads for this year;-

https://www.thehundred.com/teams/wel...-hundred-2023-

They have the fastest bowler in the women's game, in most "experts" opinion, and a realistic contender for best quick bowler in the men's game playing for them.

Not really sure why they tried to reinvent cricket when 20 20 had already done that a decade ago.
    Its just 20 balls less and a stupid multi coloured score card.

International

Have they signed a decent Bowler?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Not really sure why they tried to reinvent cricket when 20 20 had already done that a decade ago.
    Its just 20 balls less and a stupid multi coloured score card.
    I agree, I'd call the crowd last night at the ground of the men's tournament defending champions no better than decent.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;5443121]I was doing exactly the same as you when it came to the five ball sets.

As the TV scoreboard shows the balls left, and not sets, it's only natural. If they require 52 off 25 balls that's just over 12 an over in my mind, and not 10.4 runs per set.

I actually find it so boring - as with all forms of non-red ball cricket. Batsmen whacking the ball all over the place like a dad and his kids on Barry Island, Bowling with little variation, and in most cases, the result is a foregone conclusion long before the end. It's like comparing 5-a-side football in a sports centre with a normal league match..

I have tickets , £20 for 2 matches didn’t seem bad value. They came up with this concept as they failed to patent 20/20 and then watched India and Australia embrace the format and maximise the financial value from the format. I just enjoy watching cricket

not me its rubbish

Couldn't give a ****

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I actually find it so boring - as with all forms of non-red ball cricket. Batsmen whacking the ball all over the place like a dad and his kids on Barry Island, Bowling with little variation, and in most cases, the result is a foregone conclusion long before the end. It's like comparing 5-a-side football in a sports centre with a normal league match..
    This ^^^

No interest whatsoever.
    Could just about stomach it if I was watching it at the ground, as long as they were serving alcohol, but not TV.

Information overload and very Americanised.

Do they still play if it’s raining ?

Women's match abandoned. If the men's game follows suit the Welsh Fire will be up to the heady heights of 3rd in the table.

Women's match abandoned. If the men's game follows suit the Welsh Fire will be up to the heady heights of 3rd in the table.
    Common sense flowing at Sophia Gardens. Fine evening forecast and match is 40 balls each. Hope the tv viewers enjoy the rain at Lord’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Common sense flowing at Sophia Gardens. Fine evening forecast and match is 40 balls each. Hope the tv viewers enjoy the rain at Lord’s.
    Eh? It is on tv. Every game is isn't it?
    Great stuff so far.

Glory be, a win for the Welsh Fire. Luke Wells, who I used to think of as a stodgy opener, smashed a very rapid fifty to help set a testing target. Shaheed Shah Afridi then bowled a couple of brilliant yorkers to leave Manchester Originals 0 for 2 after 2 balls, but got smashed about after that. They were either clever or lucky enough to keep Josh Buttler off strike for much of the time, so that helped keep things under control and they edged home by eight runs.

We Are Top the league say we are......

(By the way just to be clear, I didn't watch it as I've said no interest )

Good to see a home win at Sophia Gardens this season !

What a great game that was! Welsh Fire’s women’s team became the first team to beat the Southern Brave in Southampton - they posted a massive 165 which meant that the home side needed a record run chase to win and, for a long time, it looked like they’d do it, but Hayley Matthews who top scored, bowled a nerveless last five balls and they just got home by four runs. I know the Hundred, deservedly, gets stick, but that was a great game of cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What a great game that was! Welsh Fire’s women’s team became the first team to beat the Southern Brave in Southampton - they posted a massive 165 which meant that the home side needed a record run chase to win and, for a long time, it looked like they’d do it, but Hayley Matthews who top scored, bowled a nerveless last five balls and they just got home by four runs. I know the Hundred, deservedly, gets stick, but that was a great game of cricket.
    It was a great game. Hopefully the men's game will be equals exciting. There's some quality players on show.