+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, are you one of the 1,000s whose first thought on waking up today was

Re: So, are you one of the 1,000s whose first thought on waking up today was

Bairstow will play today it seems - if the weather allows.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bairstow will play today it seems - if the weather allows.
    Shame it didn't carry on raining

Welsh Fire’s women guaranteed themselves a place in the knock out stages of the Hundred with their win today, the men need to win in a game which has just started to keep their hopes of progressing alive.

Welsh Fire’s women guaranteed themselves a place in the knock out stages of the Hundred with their win today, the men need to win in a game which has just started to keep their hopes of progressing alive.
    London spirit 19 for 4 off 28 balls.

Would be good if welsh fire men and women made the semis after the last 2 years woeful efforts.

109-9 off their 100 balls for London Spirit. Some sloppy bowling and fielding towards the end on a wicket which looked very flat in the women’s game, but had a bit in it for the quicker bowlers in the men’s game.

Given that neither Rauf nor Afridi are playing that's a great bowling performance

Oh dear, 15-3.

109-9 off their 100 balls for London Spirit. Some sloppy bowling and fielding towards the end on a wicket which looked very flat in the women’s game, but had a bit in it for the quicker bowlers in the men’s game.
    Making hard work of this. 15 for 3 off 19 balls

50 50 now if not spirit favourites with the runs on the board?

Time for Bairstow to finally play a decent innings in the competition

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Time for Bairstow to finally play a decent innings in the competition
    He did turn up at last.

Totally agree.

So Welsh fire women in the semi finals on Saturday afternoon.

Welsh fire men will also be in the semi finals on Saturday evening unless Southern brave score the 131 required v Manchester originals now (which they almost certainly will).

Much improved effort from both teams even if the men will be just short.

The Welsh Fire are playing today? I’m not, I’ve just remembered that the team who were the story of last season’s Hundred for many were playing this morning (in the women’s match) and afternoon in the men’s case. I watched about three quarters of an hour of yesterday’s match on BBC and they had some bloke commentating on there who was clearly trying to introduce a catchphrase to the tune of you never know what’s going to happen in the Hundred - my immediate response was that you knew exactly what was going to happen when the Welsh Fire men’s team played in 2022 (at least the women managed to win one match)!

Actually, if the weather forecast turns out as predicted, the men’s team may well have more points by tonight than they managed through all of last year. Seriously, the franchise cannot afford a repeat of last year’s disastrous results and you’d like to think that the squad has been improved if everyone is fit and available.
    Big improvement for the men. Eliminated on run rate with 4 wins and a tie. Even the defeats they were well in the game. Very unlucky not to go through with 9 points but cest la vie.

The women onto the semi finals....

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Big improvement for the men. Eliminated on run rate with 4 wins and a tie. Even the defeats they were well in the game. Very unlucky not to go through with 9 points but cest la vie.

The women onto the semi finals....
    Much better season and I think, at men and women’s levels, the Fire have been one of the best sides to watch. Think the men have tended to lose control of games from about the 70 ball mark when they’re bowling and they definitely need more spin options. I’d say the women’s team have the best top three in the tournament and, unlike, previous years, some of the “lesser lights” have contributed well.

Much better season and I think, at men and women’s levels, the Fire have been one of the best sides to watch. Think the men have tended to lose control of games from about the 70 ball mark when they’re bowling and they definitely need more spin options. I’d say the women’s team have the best top three in the tournament and, unlike, previous years, some of the “lesser lights” have contributed well.
    Yep it was southern brave who pipped welsh fire to 3rd.

Remember the game at Southampton? Brave were 76/8 but ended on 147/8 with Chris Jordan getting 70 odd. Fire lost by 2 runs. Won that as they should have and they'd be out of sight.

Remember the game at Southampton? Brave were 76/8 but ended on 147/8 with Chris Jordan getting 70 odd. Fire lost by 2 runs. Won that as they should have and they'd be out of sight.
    I’ve never seen Jordan bat better than that.

Yes it’s all ifs and buts. They could have earned that extra point with a few millimetres of a bat at the Oval, or beaten Brave in that debacle in Cardiff.

Harsh on welsh fire. Going really well in the semi final 102 from 75 balls then lightning struck, game called off and they eliminated.

Seems unfair given the score they were posting, but I daresay, I’d be saying it was fair enough if the roles were reversed and it was they who had finished second. Well done to the women’s team for a much improved season - I think they had the best top order batting in the tournament, maybe they were a bit short in bowling strength in depth though.

Seems unfair given the score they were posting, but I daresay, I’d be saying it was fair enough if the roles were reversed and it was they who had finished second. Well done to the women’s team for a much improved season - I think they had the best top order batting in the tournament, maybe they were a bit short in bowling strength in depth though.
    Yeah the controversial element was the men played full 200 balls. But the women couldn't have played 25 more balls to constitute a game?

Yeah the controversial element was the men played full 200 balls. But the women couldn't have played 25 more balls to constitute a game?
    TV calling the shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    TV calling the shots?
    Would seem so.

Was a very early call to make and they could easily have gone back out for 25 balls to finish. Even if it meant the males had to have a 90 ball game.

seems very harsh to end this way only watched the interview after the game finished with kate cross and another welsh fire player ?brilliant sunshine outside, it still seems the women play second fiddle to the mens game i may be wrong but did the women not have a game second on any day under lights ,if so why didnt they, it all has to be down to tv again maybe they dont want the kids around pissed up blokes ?

Would seem so.

Was a very early call to make and they could easily have gone back out for 25 balls to finish. Even if it meant the males had to have a 90 ball game.
    the women were very harshly treated in this, might happen again today

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    seems very harsh to end this way only watched the interview after the game finished with kate cross and another welsh fire player ?brilliant sunshine outside, it still seems the women play second fiddle to the mens game i may be wrong but did the women not have a game second on any day under lights ,if so why didnt they, it all has to be down to tv again maybe they dont want the kids around pissed up blokes ?
    Yeah I agree especially the weekend ones. Males at 3pm women at 6.30. Why not?

I think the official line is they are worried how it would look if the stadium emptied after the men.

With regards to the semi final yesterday that really hit sporting integrity unfortunately. As you say bright sunshine and the game called off so the men could warm up fully for a full game. Was a huge own goal from the tournament.

Not about who won or anything but the perception was the women don't matter and as long as we get the male game in full and that's not interrupted that's all anyone really cares about anyway.....