+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

International

Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

A freedom of information (FOI) request made to South Wales Police (SWP) found that 4,293 Notices of Intended Prosecution (NIPs) were issued to drivers who were caught driving over 30mph on Western Avenue from the day the camera was activated, on June 26, to July 3.

International

Re: Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

613 a day, that's a great big yellow speed camera, imagine when it goes live throughout the whole of Wales with mobile hand-held cameras that can be moved around and are harder to see.

Re: Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

No chance of me getting caught yesterday - I was stuck behind someone who thought the limit was 20.

It is concerning that many people opt to ignore the rules of the road

That’s over £300,000 in a week

Ok, they can afford to fill all the f uck ing potholes now

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    It is concerning that many people opt to ignore the rules of the road

And yet, you can get undertaken by some prat on a pushbike and nothing happens to them !

A nice little earner then, as they say. Wouldn't be if everyone obeyed the speed limits of course.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    No chance of me getting caught yesterday - I was stuck behind someone who thought the limit was 20.

There's one council who made a few million in congestion charges however lost many millions more in parking fees ..

Councils eh ? And certain councils as well .

Cars will be a big issue come election time .

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    And yet, you can get undertaken by some prat on a pushbike and nothing happens to them !
    I find swerving erratically is very off putting for the two wheeled lycia loops

It's almost like the 1 ton motorised metal machines driving around are responsible for nearly all deaths of pedestrians in road traffic collisions in the United Kingdom.

It isn't illegal to undertake on a bike as far as I know, it's not illegal to be a prat either (which is lucky for some on here), so what do you think should 'happen' to them?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    613 a day, that's a great big yellow speed camera, imagine when it goes live throughout the whole of Wales with mobile hand-held cameras that can be moved around and are harder to see.
    Just a new form of taxation they must be raking it in…..

That’s over £300,000 in a week

Ok, they can afford to fill all the f uck ing potholes now
    More cameras you mean…..

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It isn't illegal to undertake on a bike as far as I know, it's not illegal to be a prat either (which is lucky for some on here), so what do you think should 'happen' to them?
    If I’m doing 30mph, and they undertake me, they are doing more than 30mph .

So shouldn’t they be punished in some way ?

I’m finding tootling along at 20mph quite relaxing, it’s no big deal really, with the volume of traffic and frequency of traffic lights you can barely accelerate to a higher speed anyway. The majority of motorists seem to be toeing the line and I find it quite amusing noticing the few petrol heads with steam coming out of their ears with visible frustration.

If it delays or even postpones a Cardiff CAZ, with its financial implications, I’ll happily conform.

N.B. Setting off for Leeds tomorrow afternoon to ensure we get out of Cardiff’s city limits in good time

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m finding tootling along at 20mph quite relaxing, it’s no big deal really, with the volume of traffic and frequency of traffic lights you can barely accelerate to a higher speed anyway. The majority of motorists seem to be toeing the line and I find it quite amusing noticing the few petrol heads with steam coming out of their ears with visible frustration.

If it delays or even postpones a Cardiff CAZ, with its financial implications, I’ll happily conform.

N.B. Setting off for Leeds tomorrow afternoon to ensure we get out of Cardiff’s city limits in good time
    Well said. They aint petrol heads though, they're just a bunch of old white blokes who hate any form of regulation, and see it as another way of being told what to do. If statistics are released showing that there have been benefits to curbing speed limits, then these wankers won't give a shit. It's Me, me, me..... and it always has been. If the likes of Bluetit and North Cardiff Blue had been about 120 years ago, they'd have been moaning about the laws that were brought in that stopped 8 year olds climbing up chimney chambers in order to sweep them. I'm like you, i couldn't give a shit. I know that if i hit someone at 20 as opposed to 30, then they've got a better chance of living. That'll do for me.

Trouble is that the police can't catch up with them as the roads are all full of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

I know that if i hit someone at 20 as opposed to 30, then they've got a better chance of living. That'll do for me.
    And this is the important sentence, forget journeys taking a touch longer (I doubt that they do mind around a busy city), forget emissions or whatever, the very real chance that a hell of a lot less damage would be caused to a vehicle at 20 rather than above. But the statistic that outstrips everything is the likelihood of survival of a person being hit by a vehicle travelling at a low speed is considerably enhanced. In fact the actual chance of a motorist colliding with a pedestrian is very low given the increased reaction time. Leaving yourself a little bit longer for your journey is bugger all really.

How are so many being caught. Cant they see the camera??

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    How are so many being caught. Cant they see the camera??
    Strange, isn’t it? The 20mph and 30mph signs are clearly displayed on lampposts etc at regular intervals and even on road surfaces. Whether you agree with the speed limits or not, offenders who are caught can hardly blame a lack of signage, they’re quite visible. Some are ranting on as if speeding offences are a new thing, 70mph signs have been on motorways for years yet some take a chance of going well over.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There's one council who made a few million in congestion charges however lost many millions more in parking fees ..

Councils eh ? And certain councils as well .

Cars will be a big issue come election time .
    No they won't. All polls I see suggest at least 90% are against the new 20mph speed limits. I also notice the Welsh Conservatives are promising to overturn this if elected. Will it make any difference? Hardly. Had Plaid or the Lib Dems proposed to overturn it, there might have been a threat, but Wales will never vote in a Tory senedd, no matter what it promises.

You get undertaken by cyclists doing more than 30mph? Do you drive round a velodrome all day or something?

Still not illegal, unless there are byelaws in place, from what I can make out. How do you think they should be punished, and who by?

I bet the loonies on the WalesOnline comments section are kicking off.

Speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles, not push bikes.