https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-27436896

Interesting Wales online verdict.

Cardiff 12th, 8th, 14th,
Swansea 9th 15th, 16th
So Cardiff finishing higher overall.

CARDIFF CITY
Glen Williams, Cardiff City correspondent
Most exciting summer signing?

Karlan Grant. I feel a little sorry for Karlan, because his signing was overshadowed by the homecoming of the prodigal son, Aaron Ramsey. But his signing is one which really excites me.

He was the best player on Cardiff’s pre-season trip to Portugal, adding pace, trickery and go-forward on that left-hand side. Lest we forget, he was also deemed good enough to warrant a £15m price tag just three years ago. He adds goals and it’s something Cardiff desperately need.

His versatility is also a big asset, too. He can be used up front or on the wing. If he has a good season and bags the numbers he has in previous years at this level, it will go a long way to Cardiff enjoying some success this season.

(Of course, Ramsey signing is obviously brilliant, too! I'm just trying to offer an alternative view to my colleagues below...)

Surprise player/one to watch?

Dimitios Goutas. Has enjoyed a strong pre-season but has big boots to fill with Cedric Kipre having returned to West Brom.

Nevertheless, the Greek looks a good pick-up. He’s strong in the air and composed on the ball, while he’s already shown he likes to fly into challenges and times then well, generally speaking.

With all the focus on City’s new-look forward line, this could prove the shrewdest addition of the lot. His partnership with Mark McGuinness will be vital.

Where will Cardiff finish and why?

12th. That is with the squad in its current guise. A first-choice No.9, a dominant midfielder and a centre-back through the door, well, then we are talking about sixth to 10th, I would argue.

The squad is clearly better than the one which finished last season, while Erol Bulut is still something of an unknown quantity, given we are yet to see him manage a competitive game in English football.

The Championship is also incredibly strong this season. A couple of injuries to key players and soon the quality drops off. But there is a definite reason to be optimistic. Come September 1, there might be even more reason.

Paul Abbandonato, Head of Sport

Aaron Ramsey - who else? The Bluebirds were incredibly close to landing Gareth Bale last summer, but he opted for America instead at the 11th hour. Which was fair enough, his call.

However, within a few months Bale’s body had given up on him and he quit football.

Ramsey will be able to offer Cardiff far more over a greater period of time and how badly they need a proven playmaker of his quality at 10.

Look, he’s not Aaron Ramsey circa 2016, the best midfielder at the Euros, but you don’t lose the class the Wales captain possesses.

Cardiff have made a lot of good captures this summer, but his signing is a genuine bums on seats one. Fans will come to watch Cardiff City simply because Aaron Ramsey has been signed.

Jamilu Collins. We saw him for three and a half games last season before a knee injury cruelly cut his season short.

A return is still a work in progress for the talented left-back, but he’s already shown enough in pre-season for me to demonstrate that undoubted class he oozes.

Collins is quick, athletic, has a beautiful touch on the ball and can be hugely effective defensively and offensively.

Once fully-fit, he’ll be a massive asset to the team and like a brilliant new signing in his own right.

Top eight (but don’t ask me exactly where!!).

I think Cardiff suddenly have strength in depth and in that respect will be the envy of many of their rivals.

If Kieffer Moore, or another striker comes on board, that will leave him battling for four forward positions with Grant, Robinson, Bowler, Meite, Etete, Ugbo, Ramsey and Colwill. Nine into four doesn’t go, those not picked will be straining at the leash to impress when they do get their chance. Competition for places can only be good.

A new dominant midfielder is set to come on board. The engine room has been a weak point in the side, but again there will be a major battle for just one spot next to the newcomer, with Ramsey, Colwill or Robinson further ahead at 10.

We have Perry Ng versus Mahlon Romeo for right-back, Callum O’Dowda or Jamilu Collins for left back. These are riches in my eyes.

Centre-half back-up is required, goalkeeper needs strengthening, but Cardiff suddenly have a real team, the fans are excited again and whilst Erol Bulut is unproven over here, he is a young, hungry manager and his record in Turkey is excellent.

Cardiff will be the surprise package of the Championship this season.

Mathew Davies, sport content editor

It's pretty hard to look past Aaron Ramsey, for obvious reasons. The homecoming of the boyhood Bluebird could be season-defining, if he can stay fit.

Ramsey wasn't at his best in Wales' recent qualifiers but he wasn't the only one. At his best he can still dictate games and fans will hope he can get up to speed as soon as possible.

Like Glen said above, Karlan Grant has injected some life into the forward line and he looked ever so bright in Portugal. I'm looking forward to seeing how he links up with Ramsey and Callum Robinson. Cardiff have been dire for years; Bulut has brought excitement back.

I'll be intrigued to see how Rubin Colwill reacts to Ramsey's arrival in the Welsh capital.

Bluebirds supporters will hope it will be a case of the apprentice learning off the master as the season progresses. Ramsey, for all the best will in the world, won't be able to play every match in a 46-game domestic season.

Colwill will likely have to settle for cameos off the bench but the prospect of him being nurtured by the Wales skipper is a fascinating one. I don't know too much about Josh Bowler, so I'll be keeping tabs on him too.

Cardiff are still a few missing pieces away from completing the jigsaw. If you were, say, to put a Kieffer Moore into this team I think their chances of a successful season are automatically enhanced.

There is, currently, a sense of the unknown with Cardiff, which is both exciting and a little worrisome. The second tier is also at its most challenging this season, with big guns coming down and traditionally strong teams being promoted from League One.

As things stand I'd put them 14th. Sign a striker and a centre-back and I'd push them closer to the top half.

SWANSEA CITY
Tom Coleman, sports writer

If/when it's confirmed, I think Harrison Ashby could be a majorly impressive signing. The youngster can play right-back or in the middle, and has looked really good in his pre-season outings for Newcastle United. There even seems to have been a clamour for Eddie Howe to give him a real first team shot next term, which speaks volumes.

But of the players already through the door, the one I'm most looking forward to seeing in action is Ukrainian striker Mykola Kukharevich. I'll be honest, I know very little about him, but anyone who impresses someone like Vincent Kompany has to be at least half-decent. Right?

At the time of writing, it now seems highly likely Joel Piroe will stay at the club beyond this summer, which is an incredible state of affairs, really.

From what I understand, a move is currently off the table unless Swansea change their stance on structuring a potential sale and put together a package that will appeal to the player's representatives. That could still happen, of course. But if the situation remains unchanged, he will certainly be the man to watch. In full flight, he's arguably the best striker in the league.

Where will Swansea finish and why?

If Piroe sticks around, I genuinely think there's enough in that first XI to mount a top-six challenge, although Michael Duff is perhaps an unknown quantity at this level and might need a little time to get it right.

My main concern, however, is the level of depth outside that starting line-up. There's still a real lack of depth in certain areas of this squad. I suspect Duff will try and get two or three more bodies in before the close of the window, but, at present, a couple of injuries here and there could easily cost them.

On that basis, I don’t think there's quite enough for a top-six finish, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were part of the conversation for a little while. I'll go for ninth.

Mathew Davies

The temptation here is to go with the strikers; Jerry Yates brings with him promise and a big price tag, while Mykola Kukharevich's highlights reel looks decent.

But I'm going to opt for Josh Key. Swansea have lacked an attacking thrust from defence on the right flank since Ethan Laird was recalled from his loan stint and although Joel Latibeaudiere did well, he wasn't a front-foot player.

From the brief glimpses we've seen over pre-season, Key looks like he could width and pace from the full-back position.

Nathan Wood was absolutely superb last season and his trajectory only points to him getting better.

He's attracted Premier league interest from the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Brentford over the past few months and Swansea look to have a real player on their hands.

A solid base in this division is vital and Duff will hope Wood will continue to form a good partnership with Ben Cabango at the heart of defence. I referenced Yates and Kukharevich above; it will be interesting to see how they dovetail with Joel Piroe in a new-look front line.

This is pretty much dependent on if Joel Piroe stays or goes. Keep him and Swansea have a decent chance of making mid-table. Lose him and it could be a right old slog.

I still think Swansea are a few bodies short. But then again, when have they not been? So I'm going 15th, if they keep the Dutchman.

Paul Abbandonato, Head of Sport

Michael Duff. Well, the players the Swans have brought on board aren’t overwhelmingly exciting, so I’m going for the new manager.

The 45-year-old has a proven record with Barnsley and Cheltenham, was eyed by Swansea’s arch-rivals Cardiff City, but he fits the bill more as the kind of Swans manager they have gone for down the years. Young, with everything to prove. Like Russell Martin and Steve Cooper, plus a number of others back beyond that, too.

Duff has a burgeoning reputation within the game, hence the Cardiff interest too, but of course this is the next level up and he needs to show his methods can work in what will be a really tough Championship 2023-24.

Matt Grimes is hardly a surprise, but he is the one who makes the Swans tick and will need to again this season.

The skipper has been the best midfielder in Welsh club football over the past few years, albeit a certain Wales captain alters that dynamic this year, but Grimes is a class act and at 28 at the peak of his powers.

Russell Martin's expected swoop for his old captain for Southampton hasn't yet materialised, so if Grimes stays he'll probably have another excellent campaign.

This hinges on two words - Joel Piroe. If he stays, his goals will win the Swans games they would otherwise have lost.

If he goes, it’s hard to see how the goal power and class he brings to the team will be replaced. Swansea can't afford to let him go for nothing, so I suspect a deal will be done by Sept 1.

One way or the other it'll be a bottom half finish I suspect, so let's go slightly above midway and say 16th.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-27436896