+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City have knocked it out of the park all summer, now they have to match the optimism where it matters

International

Cardiff City have knocked it out of the park all summer, now they have to match the optimism where it matters

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-park-27455642

Positivity alert

It's been a near-perfect summer for the Bluebirds and positivity among the fan base is at a high, so starting the season well is a must - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-park-27455642

Re: Cardiff City have knocked it out of the park all summer, now they have to match the optimism where it matters

It’s been mentioned in another thread, but the difference in perceptions of City locally and nationally have been starker in this summer than in any other one in recent memory I reckon. You’d expect local opinion to be more positive, but I’m still struggling to decide who is getting it wrong here because the national media really do not have a good word to say about us as far as I can see.

Yet, I read that Wales Online piece and can’t help thinking that while it’s clearly a “feelgood”, typical pre season piece, it’s not over the top and there are plenty of good points made in it - I’m not expecting miracles this season, but I’ll be surprised and disappointed if the signings we’ve made this summer (players like Grant, Bowler and Ramsey are better quality than I was expecting, while Goutas looks a better performer than I thought he’d be) don’t mean that we’ll be more comfortable than we were last season especially.

Re: Cardiff City have knocked it out of the park all summer, now they have to match the optimism where it matters

Good to see some positive press, which I think is well deserved for the club over the last month or so.

Also nice to see us as massive underdogs in the national press and bookies, eases any pressure.

Important though to keep the positivity even if we get tanked by Leeds and Leicester and remember we're on something of a rebuild. There was a bit of an over-reaction last season to a flukey win against Norwich so lets not go in the opposite direction if it goes the other way at the start

I don't think we'll struggle like we did last year, but we could. I think "hit it out of the park" massively overstates it.

How come no one has complained about the use an Americanism yet?

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s been mentioned in another thread, but the difference in perceptions of City locally and nationally have been starker in this summer than in any other one in recent memory I reckon. You’d expect local opinion to be more positive, but I’m still struggling to decide who is getting it wrong here because the national media really do not have a good word to say about us as far as I can see.

Yet, I read that Wales Online piece and can’t help thinking that while it’s clearly a “feelgood”, typical pre season piece, it’s not over the top and there are plenty of good points made in it - I’m not expecting miracles this season, but I’ll be surprised and disappointed if the signings we’ve made this summer (players like Grant, Bowler and Ramsey are better quality than I was expecting, while Goutas looks a better performer than I thought he’d be) don’t mean that we’ll be more comfortable than we were last season especially.
    I agree there are some good points, I think after last season where we were over-optimistic, we've gone the other way and are now probably over-pessimistic. There are still a lot of unknowns but we've signed some decent players and the Manager looks to have them fit and rearing to go.

My main concern is talk of playing the ball out from the back more, that's what Trollope and Morison were saying, and this has already resulted in us giving away some terrible goals in the pre-season friendlies.

Josh Bowler is a quality player. If Ramsey stays fit the pair should give you a lot more quality than last season. I hope Yaks goes well for you.

However good or bad or average we are, it has to be in comparison with the other 23 teams in the Championship. A mid-table finish would imply there will be 12 or so teams worse than us - an improvement of 9 places, not allowing for the 3 coming up being quite useful too. For me, bottom half but keeping out of danger..

I still Don't think we have equalled or bettered Kaba as a goal threat and I'm still not sure 1 big lump at the back has greatly improved our defence.
    But I think with rambo and bowler we have better creativity.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't think we'll struggle like we did last year, but we could. I think "hit it out of the park" massively overstates it.

How come no one has complained about the use an Americanism yet?
    Did you know that Baseball started out as Rounders?

English colonists took this game to North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Did you know that Baseball started out as Rounders?

English colonists took this game to North America.
    please elaborate forest green ?

we talking american baseball ? i know aston villa had a baseball side around 1890 but that was the american version not the UK version

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    please elaborate forest green ?

we talking american baseball ? i know aston villa had a baseball side around 1890 but that was the american version not the UK version
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_baseball

I watched an episode of 'Pawn Stars' recently .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VeDyiLsmbw

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    thanks for that especially the book

played our baseball for over 20 years and my recent trip to the states took in some baseball practise in the nets with a team

they couldn't believe my stance at the pegs and i was constantly hitting balls over 70mph

was chuffed as i haven't picked up a bat for over 15 years !

took in a minor league game when i was out there too

still maintain our version of the game is better than there's

My original prediction was 19th-21st, I reckon 16th-18th is now realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My original prediction was 19th-21st, I reckon 16th-18th is now realistic.
    We will finish 2nd. Bookmark this if you like. It is happening.

Great to see us swinging for the fences even after we got thrown a curve ball with the embargo.

Anyone got a ballpark figure on our first home attendance?