+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20 MPH zones to cost Welsh economy £4.6bn

20 MPH zones to cost Welsh economy £4.6bn

And a further £26m to change all the road signs.

https://twitter.com/andrewrtdavies/s...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

Re: 20 MPH zones to cost Welsh economy £4.6bn

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

What price saving lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    What price saving lives?
    The money could be allocated to the floundering health service and improve emissions.

No doubt it will save some lives but will also increase the risk of collisions with electric scooters and the like

No doubt it will save some lives but will also increase the risk of collisions with electric scooters and the like
    If I see one of those pricks coming at me, my foot is going right to the floor on that accelerator pedal. Wankers.

If they had reduced it to 25 mph then it would have been begrudgingly accepted.

20 mph is too slow

So we are listening to that clown Arty now.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The traffic calming / 20 mph policy in Cardiff is making air pollution worse. Council are creating traffic jams and the result is that vehicles of all shapes and sizes just sit in traffic with their engines idling
    Cardiff Labour group and the Labour controlled senedd making things worse for all of us
    So exactly, what price for a life affected by deliberate air pollution

I remember reading that before, the £4.6 bn figure is highly dubious

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember reading that before, the £4.6 bn figure is highly dubious
    It was calculated on the back of Arty's fag packet after all. Or maybe his bog paper.

£4.54bn over 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    £4.54bn over 30 years
    Is presumably one end of a range predction?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    £4.54bn over 30 years

So if we take this number, which seems highly dubious (averag journey times are increased by a few minutes - and the vast number of journeys are only a couple of miles) - and is the top of the range of estimates of the impact to the economy.

So that's saying in 30 years time the economy would be £4.6 bn smaller than it might have been otherwise.
    Dividing that by the population of wales makes us each £1447 poorer over the course of 30 years, Which works out at less than £50 a year.

The other side if the equation is the lives saved - again if we take the top of the range of estimates - 15 people per year (I believe I read somewhere on this site) - who here wouldn't part with £50 a year if it was going to save the lives of 15 people?
    could you go up to a grieving family who had lost a child in a road accident and explain that you'd rather have the £50 for something else?
    For about the price of a pint a month you can save more than a life a month

Mark Drippy Drakeflop bleeting on WalesOnline today about about how he has to make savings of 900million - blamed it all on Westminster obviously like they always do.

Not a leg to stand on - 26 million on 20mpg signs, he had to give back £150,000,000 to Westminster as he didn't spend it. Obviously Thatcher's fault

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Mark Drippy Drakeflop bleeting on WalesOnline today about about how he has to make savings of 900million - blamed it all on Westminster obviously like they always do.

Not a leg to stand on - 26 million on 20mpg signs, he had to give back £150,000,000 to Westminster as he didn't spend it. Obviously Thatcher's fault
    I dread to think how much he cost Wales with his Covid policies, and to think he wanted longer term lockdowns as well when it was pretty obvious they were not needed for fit and healthy people under 60.

How many people had furlough payments that they were not entitled to?

I dread to think how much he cost Wales with his Covid policies, and to think he wanted longer term lockdowns as well when it was pretty obvious they were not needed for fit and healthy people under 60.

How many people had furlough payments that they were not entitled to?
    There are many who still haven't gone back to the office and are still working from home wearing 3 masks. I was never furloughed, my Doris was for about 2 months I think.

Drakeford has spunked £900,000,000 over his budget - obviously not run a business before... and now trying to blame anyone else but himself for it.

Add on top this figure (even if it's not 100% accurate) then Wales as a nation and economy - is f uck'd

With this dipstick and his merry (non binary) men and women running the show then no wonder businesses in Wales are struggling

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    tbh i agree with it.

im not all for devolution but if we have it we need proper representation.

The forced gender quotas thing is a nonsense though

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    tbh i agree with it.

im not all for devolution but if we have it we need proper representation.

The forced gender quotas thing is a nonsense though
    Why would we need to introduce more representation when huge savings are required?

Have you ever spoken with an AM , I tried to contact mine a few times without success

Why would we need to introduce more representation when huge savings are required?

Have you ever spoken with an AM , I tried to contact mine a few times without success
    yes, several times, one of them is trying to sort out an issue for me currently

i have the fortune (or you might say misfortune) of having one as a friend so yes!

i think wales is under-represented in terms of politicians and it means the pool to pick from for important jobs is too small.

if you want to talk money, and savings required i think theres many different needless projects that come above this

i have the fortune (or you might say misfortune) of having one as a friend so yes!

i think wales is under-represented in terms of politicians and it means the pool to pick from for important jobs is too small.

if you want to talk money, and savings required i think theres many different needless projects that come above this
    I would like to see the whole Senedd reformed to something a lot more progressive and innovative.

we are a small country, with limited powers, so really are perfectly placed to try something a bit more left field. You would never get a large major power doing that because the risk of it all going wrong and a despot emerging or a coup or something, but given the UKs overarching control I don't think that could happen here.

The current system just incentivises AMs to get back in at the next election, as is the case in many democracies. longer term plans are more difficult to introduce.
    Also the labour domination of the Senedd probably isn't that healthy, especially as it puts them at odds with the Tories in power in Westminster, and there must be pressure from the UK labour party to agree with their policies and direction as well, even when that isn't necessarily what's best for Wales.

I think a carefully designed alternative system could do a lot to address that.

you see that on both sides of the coin, and its the nature of having a devolved governement in a two party system where the "main parties" are uk wide ( but england-centric)

from the tories POV, the welsh ones are very quiet about the shambolic HS2 because they dont want to complain about their westminster overlords. despite the fact that it might get them some traction here in Wales.

both parties hands are a little tied in respect of what they can and cant do as they have to try to fit in with a uk-wide model.

you see that on both sides of the coin, and its the nature of having a devolved governement in a two party system where the "main parties" are uk wide ( but england-centric)

from the tories POV, the welsh ones are very quiet about the shambolic HS2 because they dont want to complain about their westminster overlords. despite the fact that it might get them some traction here in Wales.

both parties hands are a little tied in respect of what they can and cant do as they have to try to fit in with a uk-wide model.
    unfortunately any large reform would need to be brought in by the people currently benefiting from the existing system

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    unfortunately any large reform would need to be brought in by the people currently benefiting from the existing system
    or its up to the people to vote in something different, like Plaid or a new party. but there doesnt seem the appetite for that