Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Fair point. I often do the same drive.

However, I believe it is applied in a blanket fashion and then specific exceptions are applied, typically for some arterial roads. There are more than 3000 roads in Cardiff and only a handful of exceptions so it's a blanket with few holes

The idea that streets such as Pantmawr Road, Heol Llanishen Fach, Caerphilly Rd, Maes-y-Coed Rd can only be driven safely at 20mph is ridiculous overreach IMO.

As it happens I'd say only around 10% of drivers comply, so most of the time speeds haven't changed much, but that does undermine the entire point of it and creates a disconnect between drivers and policy makers.

Put simply, it just didn't need to change. I'd have favoured more targeted approaches and more severe penalties for serious speeding, as we all come across the idiots doing 40-50mph on such roads sometimes.
of those you've listed I'd probably make Caerphilly road 30 but the rest don't seem too unreasonable to be 20 tbh.

at rush hour it's a moot point anyway as nobody will be doing 20 on pantmawr road