+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mad Mick and CCFC .......where did it all go wrong ?

Mad Mick and CCFC .......where did it all go wrong ?

He was never going to be the prodigal son but he turned into the anti christ

What happened ?

Re: Mad Mick and CCFC .......where did it all go wrong ?

Issue is the club should have never extended his contract. He came in and did a brilliant job, gave the players the lift they needed, got back to basics and we had a comfortable end of the season. This is where we should have been planning for a new manager for the new season. Instead the club believer the nonsense Celtic Rumour his agent probably put out.

Old school managers like Mad Mick and Warnock, when things aren’t going to plan they get more and more defensive, try and keep a clean sheet, get a point who knows may nick a win. I’ve seen many many football games at all levels and I’ve never seen such a shocking performance as the one against West Brom. It looked like Barry Town reserves v a full strength Man City team, it was as awful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Issue is the club should have never extended his contract. He came in and did a brilliant job, gave the players the lift they needed, got back to basics and we had a comfortable end of the season. This is where we should have been planning for a new manager for the new season. Instead the club believer the nonsense Celtic Rumour his agent probably put out.

Old school managers like Mad Mick and Warnock, when things aren’t going to plan they get more and more defensive, try and keep a clean sheet, get a point who knows may nick a win. I’ve seen many many football games at all levels and I’ve never seen such a shocking performance as the one against West Brom. It looked like Barry Town reserves v a full strength Man City team, it was as awful.
    I have always felt old school manager type tactics ....well drilled , fitness , direct , moving the ball quickly .......together with a bit of skill and flair when needed ......is the way to win

I think at various points both warnock and mad mick had that but that bad spell we had wax shocking 🤯

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He was never going to be the prodigal son but he turned into the anti christ

What happened ?
    He was a Division 2 manager playing Division 4 football. From the '80s. Jack Charlton stuff. Not applicable in this time.

I have always felt old school manager type tactics ....well drilled , fitness , direct , moving the ball quickly .......together with a bit of skill and flair when needed ......is the way to win

I think at various points both warnock and mad mick had that but that bad spell we had wax shocking 🤯
    I would say the vast majority of managers have their sides well drilled, are on top of fitness and look for a bit of flair and skill.

Most sides can be direct at times and look to move the ball quickly if possible, but there's a world of difference between being direct like Liverpool or Man City and being direct like sides are under McCarthy or Warnock. That difference is that better sides don't tend to lump aimless balls upfield hoping for a flick on. Such tactics have largely been consigned to the dustbin of crap football tactics. Percentage football it isn't.

You missed a point about being up for a battle, which was a strength of the likes of McCarthy. Players were expected to win their own battles. Who can forget McCarthy yelling instructions all game long when he first came to the club?

I think that's why those managers can come in and have some success, by getting a bit more out of the players, but eventually that extra few percent disappears and the tactics are easy to combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I would say the vast majority of managers have their sides well drilled, are on top of fitness and look for a bit of flair and skill.

Most sides can be direct at times and look to move the ball quickly if possible, but there's a world of difference between being direct like Liverpool or Man City and being direct like sides are under McCarthy or Warnock. That difference is that better sides don't tend to lump aimless balls upfield hoping for a flick on. Such tactics have largely been consigned to the dustbin of crap football tactics. Percentage football it isn't.

You missed a point about being up for a battle, which was a strength of the likes of McCarthy. Players were expected to win their own battles. Who can forget McCarthy yelling instructions all game long when he first came to the club?

I think that's why those managers can come in and have some success, by getting a bit more out of the players, but eventually that extra few percent disappears and the tactics are easy to combat.
    Football is like fashion

In ten years time all this poncey modern coaching will be thrown out with the recycling

Football is like fashion

In ten years time all this poncey modern coaching will be thrown out with the recycling
    Football is nothing like fashion ffs Jay.

Football is like fashion

You could well be right, but if you're hoping for a return to aimless long ball nonsense, I suspect you'll be disappointed.

Think I'm right in thinking McCarthy had a summer window in charge but I can't remember any players signed or sold by him

Can someone throw some names in?

Definitely hated his tactics at start of new season and deservedly sacked. Also agree he shouldn't have been given the contact extension

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Think I'm right in thinking McCarthy had a summer window in charge but I can't remember any players signed or sold by him

Can someone throw some names in?

Definitely hated his tactics at start of new season and deservedly sacked. Also agree he shouldn't have been given the contact extension
    Wether he was a good or bad manager he didn't have much to play with on the transfer front

Wether he was a good or bad manager he didn't have much to play with on the transfer front
    He brought in Ryan Giles, Mark McGuiness and James Collins. He also signed Ryan Wintle and loaned him out and brought in Marley Watkins and released him a week later.

He brought in Ryan Giles, Mark McGuiness and James Collins. He also signed Ryan Wintle and loaned him out and brought in Marley Watkins and released him a week later.
    You have answered my statement , not much to play with

I suspect he wanted out, I don't for a second believe he is actually that mad. The guy played 5 proper, old school centre backs across the defence for us, in multiple matches, got paid off and still got another Championship job. He's a genius.

I don't feel the fans ever warmed to him, he never really acknowledged us. Sometimes think we are quite simple, a fist pump, a wave, an ayatollah forgives a hell of a lot.

Look at Bulut walking around the pitch after the result Saturday, clapping the fans, you can see him actually engaging with the players, talking about aspects of the match. He may end up getting the chop before Christmas but he is already helping to give himself some sort of goodwill with the fans. Where as with McCarthy I feel as soon as things went to shit the fans made their minds up pretty quickly and he did nothing to help himself, almost went out of his way to accelerate his departure despite the board clearly not wanting to get rid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I suspect he wanted out, I don't for a second believe he is actually that mad. The guy played 5 proper, old school centre backs across the defence for us, in multiple matches, got paid off and still got another Championship job. He's a genius.

I don't feel the fans ever warmed to him, he never really acknowledged us. Sometimes think we are quite simple, a fist pump, a wave, an ayatollah forgives a hell of a lot.

Look at Bulut walking around the pitch after the result Saturday, clapping the fans, you can see him actually engaging with the players, talking about aspects of the match. He may end up getting the chop before Christmas but he is already helping to give himself some sort of goodwill with the fans. Where as with McCarthy I feel as soon as things went to shit the fans made their minds up pretty quickly and he did nothing to help himself, almost went out of his way to accelerate his departure despite the board clearly not wanting to get rid.
    I wish dave Jones had naffed off earlier

He never thanked the fans either

I suppose he at least had the redeeming factor of building some entertaining teams, they would always collapse but was often entertained.

Miserable sod indeed though.

I often wonder what would have happened if we could have managed promotion before the Jacks.

It all went wrong by extending his contract.

It went wrong the way it always goes wrong. Owners with big egos that know nothing about football. Warnock did a great job, but allowing him to manage in the PL was a HUGE mistake. If you're some hot-shot businessman, you don't allow yourself to get played. And that's exactly what Tan did. Outplayed by a bullshit artist from Yorkshire. **** them both.

Both Mick @ Warnock are fine motivating struggling sides as soon as they get safety, or go up the players don't respond to the same shouty rebel rousing , chest thumping " get out there die , kill and win " you useless fecks.

Players take thier toys home , manager gets sacked .

Around around , we go .

Crazy really ? as we can afford the very best

I often wonder what would have happened if we could have managed promotion before the Jacks.
    Everyday that haunts me

Mick was dealt a shit hand with his budget and told to bring all the kids through at the same time. It went downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Mick was dealt a shit hand with his budget and told to bring all the kids through at the same time. It went downhill from there.
    I thought you wanted the miserable git sent packing ?

I thought you wanted the miserable git sent packing ?
    I did. He’s lost the plot, especially the 5 centre half’s set up v the Jacks.

You asked where did it go wrong, I think that was the start of it. His first summer in charge was the start of the austerity.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I did. He’s lost the plot, especially the 5 centre half’s set up v the Jacks.

You asked where did it go wrong, I think that was the start of it. His first summer in charge was the start of the austerity.
    He deffo went hair brained

But I still worried he would turn us over at Blackpool at the end of last season as a farewell gift