+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rummer Tavern

Re: Rummer Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's hugely dismissive Eric, unless you're joking. I believe you're a Musician as well, and of some repute. I'd expect that answer from others, but not you
    It was a bit tongue in cheek, but I don't really understand that sort of rap. I love "Jump Around" as a rap track to make everyone go nuts, but it's a genre that leaves me cold as a rule, particularly when it starts talking about gangs etc. It's a subject that doesn't interest me in the slightest. I've considered rap as more a sort of poetry to a backing track, which may be unfair, but it's how I see it. It's often to tell a story.

I know I'm weird. I remember having a chat with Mrs HaB about how we listen to music. She listens out mainly for the singer and the words. I listen out for virtually everything else. I'll work out a bass line, chord structure, playing air keyboard at the same time working out riffs. I can rarely shut everything out and just listen to music. The other morning I spent half an hour as I was waking up trying to work out what makes the end of "I Am The Walrus" work at a complex level. I'm not saying any of this to be big headed in any way - far from it as I'm definitely not that sort of person (if only I had the confidence in what I can do), but to try and offer what I think about and how my brain processes music.

I also think that, whatever "repute" I might have, that I have absolutely no more authority on musical opinion than anyone else. I fully appreciate there are things I don't like and can give a reason for that, while there are undoubtedly things I love that others would hate and could say why as well. And I think that's why music is such a wonderful thing. There are so many styles, genres, growing all the time that virtually everyone can enjoy "music". Is there anything else like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It was a bit tongue in cheek, but I don't really understand that sort of rap. I love "Jump Around" as a rap track to make everyone go nuts, but it's a genre that leaves me cold as a rule, particularly when it starts talking about gangs etc. It's a subject that doesn't interest me in the slightest. I've considered rap as more a sort of poetry to a backing track, which may be unfair, but it's how I see it. It's often to tell a story.

I know I'm weird. I remember having a chat with Mrs HaB about how we listen to music. She listens out mainly for the singer and the words. I listen out for virtually everything else. I'll work out a bass line, chord structure, playing air keyboard at the same time working out riffs. I can rarely shut everything out and just listen to music. The other morning I spent half an hour as I was waking up trying to work out what makes the end of "I Am The Walrus" work at a complex level. I'm not saying any of this to be big headed in any way - far from it as I'm definitely not that sort of person (if only I had the confidence in what I can do), but to try and offer what I think about and how my brain processes music.

I also think that, whatever "repute" I might have, that I have absolutely no more authority on musical opinion than anyone else. I fully appreciate there are things I don't like and can give a reason for that, while there are undoubtedly things I love that others would hate and could say why as well. And I think that's why music is such a wonderful thing. There are so many styles, genres, growing all the time that virtually everyone can enjoy "music". Is there anything else like it?
    What most people mean by music being crap is simply “I don’t like this”. And that’s okay, music is art. It’s subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    What most people mean by music being crap is simply “I don’t like this”. And that’s okay, music is art. It’s subjective.
    💯

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Fair enough, good reply I can understand people disliking any genre on music, there's plenty i wont listen to, i'd rather silence, and i replied to you as i was aware that you may 'understand the intricacies of music what with your musical background and expertise, a subject that you have replied with knowledge. That's some complex shit Mr Bee....

As i've matured i find it difficult to be dismissive about music in a way that i was in years gone by, i try not to be so puerile these days and attempt (badly) to understand why some people like stuff that i can see no artistic value in. I reached the conclusion that i was wrong and that there's artistic value in almost anything, if something garners a reaction then it obviously has some worth, good and bad.

A question i have raised on here once or twice about Music to those who invest plenty of time and no doubt money towards it is about Guitar players. I wanted to know why some guitar players are considered gods in their field, when to me, they all sound brilliant. Now that's my lack of understanding, i can't spot the nuances, details, levels of skill etc, the things only those people who 'study' the sound can offer an explanation for. I didn't get a reply really. The only person who gave me any explanation was TLG, when he said that plenty of professional Guitar players are similar, very good at what they do, the difference can be originality. what's your take Eric?