+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rummer Tavern

Rummer Tavern

Was in the Rummer in the city center last night and noticed a number of city shirts on display but found out the place is now under new management and the owner is turning the place into a Cardiff city theme pub

They are revamping the place this week to be painted blue and white with Cardiff city memorabilia to be put on the walls etc

just a heads up for those who drink in the city maybe pop along and support .

Re: Rummer Tavern

Great news and will certainly pop along to support

Have long thought there is a place for something like this in town and a good pre match/post match drink for anyone heading back into town who want to be surrounded by city fans rather than people watching United or the rugby on the tv.

30 min walk which isn’t much further than some pubs in Canton.

Would also be good to see it busy for away games on TV. The City Centre needs somewhere like this, think only the Queens Vaults is similar

Went there a few weeks ago for the first time in my life. They'd run out of lager and the toilets were in the worst state of any I've seen in the centre of Cardiff.

I can forgive all that though if they're a city pub.

Uses to love that place until they turned it into a sports bar full of TV screens. As above though, if they introduce a City theme I'll give it another go.

Businesses with a bit of a City theme. Youngers chip shop Caerphilly rd, the Barber shop on the corner of Caerphilly rd Birchgrove Rd, Butchers arms rhiwbina, Travis Perkins magic roundabout. Representing in the North!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Businesses with a bit of a City theme. Youngers chip shop Caerphilly rd, the Barber shop on the corner of Caerphilly rd Birchgrove Rd, Butchers arms rhiwbina, Travis Perkins magic roundabout. Representing in the North!
    Tony Speroni’s chip shop, Countisbury Avenue, City photos everywhere, Tony & Sue massive City fans.

Last time I went in (last summer I think, after a day's play at Sophia Gardens) I had two different ales that were exactly the same (and not great).

Hope it improves under new owners.

wasmy go to place in the late 70's...has it changed much

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tony Speroni’s chip shop, Countisbury Avenue, City photos everywhere, Tony & Sue massive City fans.
    Have you seen the length of the cod in that place? You need a surf board to eat it on, not a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen Bull View Post
    Last time I went in (last summer I think, after a day's play at Sophia Gardens) I had two different ales that were exactly the same (and not great).

Hope it improves under new owners.
    They had none when I went in last.

My friend Daniel is the new management, he’s City thru and thru. I’ve just sent this thread to him. He’s also got the Riverside/Welsh Football Fans bar in Newport as well as EatSleep the production company involved in Toshack & a Dragon on my Shirt.

Watch this space for future developments.

Good to hear it’s changed management. Often used to meet up in the Rummer before gigs at Clwb Ifor Bach, but it’s got so bad in recent years that we’ve switched to the City Arms. Will give the Rummer a try soon if the last manager has moved on.

Went in a few times earlier this year. Was always full of Celtic fans weirdly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Great news and will certainly pop along to support

Have long thought there is a place for something like this in town and a good pre match/post match drink for anyone heading back into town who want to be surrounded by city fans rather than people watching United or the rugby on the tv.

30 min walk which isn’t much further than some pubs in Canton.

Would also be good to see it busy for away games on TV. The City Centre needs somewhere like this, think only the Queens Vaults is similar
    City Arms has some Cardiff stuff on the walls

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    wasmy go to place in the late 70's...has it changed much
    the price of a pint has gone up a bit

Celtic fans used to meet upstairs for TV games, not sure if they still do? Great news that it’s got a (City) new owner, will definitely call in.

last time I went in there the beer was terrible and the whole place smelled really bad, hopefully they can improve both of those things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My friend Daniel is the new management, he’s City thru and thru. I’ve just sent this thread to him. He’s also got the Riverside/Welsh Football Fans bar in Newport as well as EatSleep the production company involved in Toshack & a Dragon on my Shirt.

Watch this space for future developments.
    We're always up for trying something different, so will definitely pop in if we're in town for a gig or match-day. Last time I went in the Rummer was before one of those Manics gigs in the Castle a few years ago, it was okay, not been in there recently though.

Funny how tastes change, our lot are currently meeting in either The Bluebell or Elevens pre-match. B.C. (Before COVID!) it was The Cornwall, largely as our mate usually drove and parked near there. He's now moved to the South East so we often train in now from various locations and meet in town.

The place has loads of potential - good luck to him.

They’ll need a few more weeks to complete what they need to do

https://www.facebook.com/rummertaverncardiff

https://www.facebook.com/RiversideXWFF

First Team

Soft spot for the Taver as it was very much the starting point for many a night out.
    Last time I was there it was in a very poor state so any improvements are go9d news.
    So many of the pubs and bars of weekend nights out are no gone so hopefully this 8s one that can reverse the trend.

As others have said, I also stopped going in there as the place was absolutely filthy, the toilets haven’t been cleaned in years

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    largely as our mate usually drove and parked near there. He's now moved to the South East so we often train in now from various locations and meet in town.
    Funny way of saying Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the price of a pint has gone up a bit
    How much we talking? My local was 1.80 a pint of Carling when I moved away.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    How much we talking? My local was 1.80 a pint of Carling when I moved away.
    £3.50 in the Canton

Over £4.00 most pubs

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    £3.50 in the Canton

Over £4.00 most pubs
    JESUS