+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 2 COLCHESTER UTD: Cardiff win 3-0 on pens

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 2 COLCHESTER UTD: Cardiff win 3-0 on pens

I think I must be falling out of love with the game. There were parts of our play last night that looked good, but the majority of our play was like just like every other side these days where the first thought was to pass it backwards. There must be data available, but I expect Alnwick had more touches than most if not all of our players last night.

And our corners!. There was one where the short corner was a pass back probably 40 yards towards the half way line.

As I said it's probably me being a dinosaur, but the days of seeing tackling and challenges (other than the red card!) seem to be a thing of the past.

Alnwick had fewer touches than Ronomhota, Romeo, Collins, Simpson, Colwill and Tanner

We've got to find a way to get Tanner and Colwill regular game time.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v COLCHESTER UTD: Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    They think it’s all rover

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    We've got to find a way to get Tanner and Colwill regular game time.
    I think they would have both done their chances of game time no harm at all. We need players who can make things happen in an attacking sense, and they were both always looking to do that. Hopefully that can be with us, as substitute appearances initially but if they take their chances then who knows.
    If they do end up going on loan somewhere, then this kind of performance would probably help that be at a better level than most of our loans seem to be at (this season aside)

Another two goal lead lost, but at least we’re into Round Two of the League Cup.

Alnwick saves three penalties in shoot out.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

It seems clear that we must get at least one additional option at CB moving forward or we are an injury away from disaster… Simpson clearly not up to it even against league 2 opposition and Benjamin somebody who was signed not so long ago to provide depth/leadership to the u23s.

Maybe expected Collins is rusty, you hope we have a solid plan for getting him back up to speed.

Couldn't catch the game unfortunately but nice to hear the young lads stepping up. Hopefully gives Bulut a lot to think about. Would love Colwill and Tanner to be good enough to put pressure on the starting XI this season.

Shame about Collins. Back from injury and then booted in the head, that's some luck! Hope he gets up to match speed soon. Looked like a gem last season until the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Tanner comes across really well in the post-match interview on CCTV.
    He does , very well spoken and grounded , hope he stays with us rather than going out on loan.

I'm over from Cyprus and took my son down for his first game last night. 4 goals, a red, and a penalty shootout - hope he doesn't think it's always like that!

Colwill looked a class above, especially in the first half. He took up some excellent positions, made things happen, and took his goal well. Could have had an even better one but for a good save by the keeper. If he alternates with Ramsey in that 10 position this year, I'll be happy.

Tanner also surprised me. His first touch is excellent and he can take players on for fun. If he can add a bit of composure to his end product, he'll do well for himself, either with us or someone else. If he does go out on loan, it needs to be at a better standard than the Conference.

Kieron Evans played well. He has very quick feet, a good touch, and held the ball well in some tight areas. I may be in the minority here, but I actually think he has more to his game than Isaak Davies.

The other youngsters - Benjamin, Colwill Jr, and Ashford did the basics well enough and didn't look out of place.

The downsides:

Etete showed that we need another striker. He was bullied off the ball too many times, which shouldn't be happening for a guy his size. His football IQ isn't great, either; it's not a coincidence that when Ugbo came on he was able to find more space and take the ball in. He improved a lot last year, but I just don't think his ceiling is high enough to be worth persevering with.

We definitely need one, if not two, centre backs. I think Denham got a good move in Scotland, but I do wonder if we let him go a little prematurely.

A bit harsh to judge Collins on one game but he got turned inside out a few times by their wing back last night. Definitely didn't look the same player as last August. Bagan looked fairly sharp when he came on, though, and whipped in a few nice crosses.

At times, there was also still the same problem as last year of moving the ball too slowly, passes being underhit, and balls being played a yard behind the receiving player. But on the whole, we were positive (against admittedly limited opposition) and regardless of the result, I saw plenty to be optimistic about, especially in Colwill and Tanner.

What was the attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    What was the attendance?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Thankyou. We've had worse.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I'm over from Cyprus and took my son down for his first game last night. 4 goals, a red, and a penalty shootout - hope he doesn't think it's always like that!

Colwill looked a class above, especially in the first half. He took up some excellent positions, made things happen, and took his goal well. Could have had an even better one but for a good save by the keeper. If he alternates with Ramsey in that 10 position this year, I'll be happy.

Tanner also surprised me. His first touch is excellent and he can take players on for fun. If he can add a bit of composure to his end product, he'll do well for himself, either with us or someone else. If he does go out on loan, it needs to be at a better standard than the Conference.

Kieron Evans played well. He has very quick feet, a good touch, and held the ball well in some tight areas. I may be in the minority here, but I actually think he has more to his game than Isaak Davies.

The other youngsters - Benjamin, Colwill Jr, and Ashford did the basics well enough and didn't look out of place.

The downsides:

Etete showed that we need another striker. He was bullied off the ball too many times, which shouldn't be happening for a guy his size. His football IQ isn't great, either; it's not a coincidence that when Ugbo came on he was able to find more space and take the ball in. He improved a lot last year, but I just don't think his ceiling is high enough to be worth persevering with.

We definitely need one, if not two, centre backs. I think Denham got a good move in Scotland, but I do wonder if we let him go a little prematurely.

A bit harsh to judge Collins on one game but he got turned inside out a few times by their wing back last night. Definitely didn't look the same player as last August. Bagan looked fairly sharp when he came on, though, and whipped in a few nice crosses.

At times, there was also still the same problem as last year of moving the ball too slowly, passes being underhit, and balls being played a yard behind the receiving player. But on the whole, we were positive (against admittedly limited opposition) and regardless of the result, I saw plenty to be optimistic about, especially in Colwill and Tanner.
    Etete is a weird one.

In some games he's looked very good. Strong, very quick for his size and has all the makings.

In other games he's looked awful, bullied and more annoyingly gets drawn to the flanks and bad places on the pitch more often than not

I still think there's a good player there

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Etete is a weird one.

In some games he's looked very good. Strong, very quick for his size and has all the makings.

In other games he's looked awful, bullied and more annoyingly gets drawn to the flanks and bad places on the pitch more often than not

I still think there's a good player there
    Me too.
    I think he needs to learn to use his physicality more. He has enough skill and pace to be a handful.

I think he's always going to be a bit unconventional though but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Me too.
    I think he needs to learn to use his physicality more. He has enough skill and pace to be a handful.

I think he's always going to be a bit unconventional though but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    I do think he gets fouled a lot and doesn't get the calls because he's big = shouldn't be going down

A foul is still a foul

I thought Etete together with Robinson looked like a decent partnership against TNS.
    Maybe he thought, now with Kaba gone, this season would be his chance to get a regular start, but others have come in and seemingly jumped ahead of him.
    Think he's still got the makings of a decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Etete is a weird one.

He’s never looked strong. He’s always looked feeble for a guy of his size. And that’s the issue. He clearly has talent but he’s so physically weak in challenges that it’s genuinely embarrassing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He’s never looked strong. He’s always looked feeble for a guy of his size. And that’s the issue. He clearly has talent but he’s so physically weak in challenges that it’s genuinely embarrassing at times.
    His Tottenham 'pedigree' somewhat clouds people's judgement. He's actually ex. Northampton Town and Cheltenham, and probably that's his level. Another City punt in the hope 'the boy comes good' and they've unearthed a gem, but another to ship out - there must be better prospects out there if that's what the club are looking for..

Re: CARDIFF CITY v COLCHESTER UTD: Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    Apparently a red card for Colchester as one of their players knee'd someone in the head.