+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Changing To A Water Meter - Good Or A Mistake ?

Changing To A Water Meter - Good Or A Mistake ?

We are to become a house of 2, as daughter and boyfriend moving out. Currently paying £78 pm and thinking of changing..........should I ?

Re: Changing To A Water Meter - Good Or A Mistake ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    We are to become a house of 2, as daughter and boyfriend moving out. Currently paying £78 pm and thinking of changing..........should I ?
    It depends on your usage.

Change it makes you aware of what you’re wasting, I pay £16 pm , and have had a meter for about 10/12 years and never paid more than £34 pm. Only downside is that if you have a leak on your property you have to fork out for repairs.

I would say so yes. In my property of two people, we average around £30 a month usage, and that is with both of us taking a shower each every day.

The only time you have to be careful is if you use a lot of water in the garden. However my father recently moved to a water meter and purchased two big rain storage tanks for the garden which is now meeting all his needs, and better for the environment. Win win!

If, like me, you’re by yourself, I’d recommend it - a big family, maybe not so much.

General rule of thumb if you have more bedrooms than people then would be cheaper on meter. You also get a 2 year trial on meter so you can switch back if not right for you. I have meter for 3 of us and we pay £38. There’s a calculator you can use to see if would be best for you. https://www.dwrcymru.com/en/help-adv...-a-water-meter

I'm on a meter and when I broke my foot I had to takes a bath instead of a shower. When I got my next bill, to my surprise I got a warning about my water usage. Along with Smoking, Alcohol, 15 min cities and speed limits, I'm thinking of emigrating to North Korea for more freedoms.

2 of us in our house. Shower once sometimes twice a day. Jet wash my car, my drive and water my garden with hose when water butt empty. Cost about £30 per month.

Changing to a meter can result in water butt addiction. I have 7, 2 of which have 200 litres capacity. I never water the garden with anything other than rain water.

Sounds to me like you would be better off on a meter. Only downside in my experience is if the meter develops a fault it is a complete nightmare getting them to recognise the problem and change the meter.

I'm staying clear of all meters especially if there called smart as it usually means smart for for the suppliers not the consumers.

I certainly don't want Chinese technology watching my every move .

We've had a water meter installed for 5 years.3 people living here.It's never gone over 30 quid.Current bill is 21 quid.
    Modern dishwashers and washing machines are eco friendly.
    We use shower and washing up water for flushing the loo after having a pee.havn't got round to having a water butt owing to the bad summer.Last summers bill was pretty low even with watering the garden.
    I'd say it's a no brainer.

First Team

Generally speaking if the supplier thinks it is a good idea it is not a good idea for the consumer.

International

Yes change as long as you don't want to water the garden and wash the car all the time.

Mine went to over £100pm when the daughter was here, showering all the time for hours, now there are three of us it's down to £43pm.

Keep an eye on the toilets, modern ones overflow into the bowl so a tiny leak will now cost you, people not on meters don't need to worry about leaks or wasting water.

If they were compulsory and everyone had to have one, it would be fairer and there would be far less waste and leaks.

Thanks all, some food for thought