+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Have a week off this week with Doris, decided we wouldn’t contribute to any more pollution with a much needed holiday, and decided to do a few jobs about the house, as the weather was decent yesterday said f**k it to the paint brushes and had a very pleasant walk into town, walked to western avenue to pick up the Taff trail, and walked along the river, crossing over at the weir to the cricket ground side and then back across just before the boat taxis to the bay, did a bit of shopping had some lunch in the madeira washed down with a couple of beers. With the sun out early again this morning we walked to Roath Park then on through the Rec, then past Roath court funeral home, then on to Dunelm, the intended target, a couple of purchases, a further trek along Newport road to get a bite to eat at Greggs 😊 , bus back to town which terminated in Churchill and which got me thinking a little, our two walks along the Taff and through Roath Park bring some nice scenery & wildlife, Roath Park this morning with the swans out in force, biggest firm of jacks I’ve seen in Cardiff, the other ducks and wildlife was nice,
    Churchill way Canal,
    I’m all in favour of this project as it’ll add another nice attraction to IMO, is a more than decent City, I think we are fortunate in having a compact city with plenty of things to see and do, however, I’m presuming that the canal exposure is being funded by the taxpayer? I’m sure this isn’t a cheap project, is it the best use of the money ?, as previously said I think it will be great for the City but I cannot help thinking maybe a better distribution of the money throughout the city might have been better use, my immediate thought being the City public transport. Any views ?, oh and a couple of pints in the birch coming back from town so the 14,000-step calorie burn (both days) was totally wasted!!!!

Re: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

We don't appreciate what we have on our doorstep often enough. Cardiff is a great little city.

Cardiff has many pleasant facets but it's not quite THERE on a few levels

I think personally its music scene in terms of venues is lacking .....TJs in Newport was a great venue , I am amazed Cardiff hasn't got something similar . Its got good places like The Millenium Centre but it's hardly ever used for music and it seems like a complete waste of time . We had St David's Hall , New Theatre etc , it's got 2000 seats , let's see more bands there

I am not a foodie but friends who are say Cardiff isn't great . It needs a curry mile like Manchester , Leicester etc have instead of in this example , Indian restaurants spread all over the city

Transport wise , apart from the small suburban mini stations , it's crap although maybe no worse than other places ?

It's a shame that despite being right on the sea it doesn't have the sprawling coastline Swansea has . Once you are past the city centre right through to The Mumbles it cannot be denied its a nice environment to relax in

Apart from The Bay Cardiff has no discernable link to the sea that helped it's growth . Maybe we could raid the Gower for some sand and rob the wave machine from that grotty leisure centre ?

I think Cardiffs greatest shame was the demolition of the old tiger bay and the dispersal of the community all over Cardiff , leaving Tower blocks for those that wanted to stay

Bristol has St Paul's, Liverpool Toxteth which have been regenerated ..... it seems like the founding father's and decision makers missed a trick

It's almost everything is an afterthought with respect to much with regard to the development of Cardiff

I am amazed it's taken so long to realise the Eastern and North Eastern side of the city needs rail links . Come to think of it Ely needs one too .

Have a guess how many musical concerts ......Rock, pop, indie , soul ........the whole bucket ......have taken place at The Millenium Centre ?

Cardiff is/was a brilliantly designed city. The main railway station is right in the middle of it and just think what is within a twenty minute walk of it. There’s all of the main shopping area, enough restaurants suiting all tastes for most people, Sludge’s point about music venues is a fair one, but the ones it does have are all centrally located, there’s a castle, a striking civic centre with a museum and university as part of it, there’s a strip of parkland running through the middle of the city which contains an international sporting venue, the country’s major sporting stadium is one of the first things you see as you come out of the railway station and Wales’ best football venue is within walking distance - there’s also another decent sized railway station at the other end of the city centre.

Mind you, it used to be even more brilliant, the very first thing you saw on leaving Cardiff Central was a bus station serving the whole of Cardiff and the surrounding areas, but, absurdly, that was demolished and the region has been left with an unsatisfactory mish mash that is clearly inferior to what the city had originally.

I’d still prefer to live in Cardiff if I could, but when I left five years ago, the writing was very much on the wall as far as getting about the west side of the city in a car or bus was concerned. It was nearly always gridlocked at certain times of day and the situation has got worse because of a major housing project which has been plonked on the north west of the city with little or nothing done to cater for the further transport difficulties it caused.

When you consider the distance I have to travel for City games with others, I don’t deserve sympathy, but living twenty miles or so outside Cardiff and its football ground has only brought home to me what a hard city it is to get into via car or bus - driving to Cardiff City Stadium takes a lot longer than it should and the problem is only exacerbated by having the railway service into the city shut for the best part of a year.

Cardiff, a lovely city which should be the envy of others, but the modern day decision makers are doing their best to ruin it.

Exiting Cardiff Central these days is an unimpressive introduction to the city. Bring back Astey's!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cardiff is/was a brilliantly designed city. The main railway station is right in the middle of it and just think what is within a twenty minute walk of it. There’s all of the main shopping area, enough restaurants suiting all tastes for most people, Sludge’s point about music venues is a fair one, but the ones it does have are all centrally located, there’s a castle, a striking civic centre with a museum and university as part of it, there’s a strip of parkland running through the middle of the city which contains an international sporting venue, the country’s major sporting stadium is one of the first things you see as you come out of the railway station and Wales’ best football venue is within walking distance - there’s also another decent sized railway station at the other end of the city centre.

Mind you, it used to be even more brilliant, the very first thing you saw on leaving Cardiff Central was a bus station serving the whole of Cardiff and the surrounding areas, but, absurdly, that was demolished and the region has been left with an unsatisfactory mish mash that is clearly inferior to what the city had originally.

I’d still prefer to live in Cardiff if I could, but when I left five years ago, the writing was very much on the wall as far as getting about the west side of the city in a car or bus was concerned. It was nearly always gridlocked at certain times of day and the situation has got worse because of a major housing project which has been plonked on the north west of the city with little or nothing done to cater for the further transport difficulties it caused.

When you consider the distance I have to travel for City games with others, I don’t deserve sympathy, but living twenty miles or so outside Cardiff and its football ground has only brought home to me what a hard city it is to get into via car or bus - driving to Cardiff City Stadium takes a lot longer than it should and the problem is only exacerbated by having the railway service into the city shut for the best part of a year.

Cardiff, a lovely city which should be the envy of others, but the modern day decision makers are doing their best to ruin it.
    Cardiff Central is a prime example of what is holding Cardiff back

It's far too small compared to Bristol Temple Meads , Newcastle , Leeds etc

And likewise the city centre , considering the population it serves just isn't big enough

The Millenium stadium is great if you are a rugby fan and go to two or three games a year but if you don't it's a white elephant and dominates the city centre to a ridiculous degree

It would be far better to expand the city centre and shove the rugby up on the M4 link Road

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Exiting Cardiff Central these days is an unimpressive introduction to the city. Bring back Astey's!
    BBC Wales Jesus christ may as well have a Derek Brockway statue

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cardiff Central is a prime example of what is holding Cardiff back

It's far too small compared to Bristol Temple Meads , Newcastle , Leeds etc

And likewise the city centre , considering the population it serves just isn't big enough

The Millenium stadium is great if you are a rugby fan and go to two or three games a year but if you don't it's a white elephant and dominates the city centre to a ridiculous degree

It would be far better to expand the city centre and shove the rugby up on the M4 link Road
    that's an absolutely terrible idea

60+ years ago there were people who'd lost their homes who probably despised the new bus station and surrounding buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    60+ years ago there were people who'd lost their homes who probably despised the new bus station and surrounding buildings.
    Temperance Town, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's an absolutely terrible idea
    Getting the rugby stadium out of Cardiff City Centre ?

I think that would be great

Reduce the carnage and reduce congestion

We are very lucky that we moved to a stadium right on the edge of the urban area but so close to our old home

Rubbish. The Millennium is a huge bonus to the city and has events on all year round.

Cities like Milton Keynes, Coventry, Derby, Hull, Swansea, etc would kill to have an asset that brings in 50k-100k+ people multiple times a year. Even bigger cities like Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds and Liverpool don’t have an asset quite like it.

There’s not many cities of similar size and stature in Europe let alone the UK than can boast about hosting Olympic events, the Champions League final, Rugby World Cup, Euros finals and some of the biggest musical acts in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Rubbish. The Millennium is a huge bonus to the city and has events on all year round.

Cities like Milton Keynes, Coventry, Derby, Hull, Swansea, etc would kill to have an asset that brings in 50k-100k+ people multiple times a year. Even bigger cities like Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds and Liverpool don’t have an asset quite like it.

There’s not many cities of similar size and stature in Europe let alone the UK than can boast about hosting Olympic events, the Champions League final, Rugby World Cup, Euros finals and some of the biggest musical acts in the world.
    You sound like you work for the Welsh Rugby Union or Wales Online

it's a nice small provincial city.

still got a decent amount of green space (with plenty more outside the city)
    it would be great if the existing green spaces could be more joined up into 4 continuous "fingers" around the Ely, taff, rhymney and nant fawr, acting as active travel superhighways and making sure all parts of the city are close to the green spaces

food wise, it's not great. lots of generic chain restaurants, very little very good ones.

in general, the bad areas - aren't that bad, not compared to the bad areas in other cities anyway.
    but also the posh areas probably arent as good as some other cities as well

Temperance Town, wasn't it?
    ironically the former inhabitants of temperance town probably had far more pubs within walking distance if they'd wanted, than any of the suburbs they've built or planned to build in recent years

it's a nice small provincial city.

still got a decent amount of green space (with plenty more outside the city)
    it would be great if the existing green spaces could be more joined up into 4 continuous "fingers" around the Ely, taff, rhymney and nant fawr, acting as active travel superhighways and making sure all parts of the city are close to the green spaces

food wise, it's not great. lots of generic chain restaurants, very little very good ones.

in general, the bad areas - aren't that bad, not compared to the bad areas in other cities anyway.
    but also the posh areas probably arent as good as some other cities as well
    It's not a large city like Leeds, Glasgow etc but it's not small

It's the 11th biggest city in the UK?

You sound like you work for the Welsh Rugby Union or Wales Online
    Nope. I just don’t have a hissy fit anytime someone dares bring up “the egg”

Cardiff would be a worse place without the stadium in the middle of the city.

It's not a large city like Leeds, Glasgow etc but it's not small

It's the 11th biggest city in the UK?
    it's a small city in my books. maybe it's medium by UK standards but it's still small as cities go.

it probably compares favourably to plenty of other cities a similar size but it's still pretty small time

I was in St Louis, Missouri the other day, and the baseball park is absolutely the focal point of the city.
    it's relatively new but built in the style of an old stadium and is absolutely stunning.

also in the centre, about 20-30 minutes walk from that is a brand new football stadium (soccer) for their new MLS franchise, and that looks really nice as well. not an identikit bowl.

Getting the rugby stadium out of Cardiff City Centre ?

I think that would be great

Reduce the carnage and reduce congestion

We are very lucky that we moved to a stadium right on the edge of the urban area but so close to our old home
    If you remove that you'd kill off many of the businesses around the city centre. Bars and hotels would close overnight leaving more empty buildings and people would lose their jobs.
    Much of the development in the city centre is because the stadium is there. Without it there'd be very little else left.

if I was in charge of Cardiff, the first thing I would do is annexe Penarth, let's face it it is basically part of Cardiff in all but name, then I'd look to build towards extending out to Caerphilly, llantrisnt and Barry, making sure that the green areas as described in my earlier post are maintained

I'd also make a train station in the airport terminal building, not a depressing bus ride away.

thirdly I'd build a new, larger and fit for purpose (the purpose being rehabilitation) prison, somewhere away from the city centre, and redevelop that land. it's absolutely bonkers that such good land is just used for locking people up.

I'd also try to encourage higher rise buildings in the centre, but with a minimum sqft size applied to apartments, other countries have decent sized apartments, here they're nearly all tiny.

Bollocks

The stadium is far too big for a central location

The city cannot cope when big events are on wether that be your egg lot , football , pink , foo fighters or monster truck etc etc

Cardiff is gridlocked

A stadium and entertainments venue on the M4

Have it

it's a small city in my books. maybe it's medium by UK standards but it's still small as cities go.

it probably compares favourably to plenty of other cities a similar size but it's still pretty small time
    Well uk wise is the only comparison unless we are talking worldwide

Birmingham and Manchester are large cities in the UK but in the USA barely figure compared to Chicago etc

Small cities in the UK are Exeter, Oxford , Newport , Gloucester

Medium cities Swansea , Hull , Derby etc

We are bigger than those by some distance and only just behind Bristol which is one of the UKs core cities

Cardiff is not a metropolis like Glasgow or Greater Manchester but there's only a few of them in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If you remove that you'd kill off many of the businesses around the city centre. Bars and hotels would close overnight leaving more empty buildings and people would lose their jobs.
    Much of the development in the city centre is because the stadium is there. Without it there'd be very little else left.
    Well that shows how much things need to change then