+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Re: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I was in St Louis, Missouri the other day, and the baseball park is absolutely the focal point of the city.
    it's relatively new but built in the style of an old stadium and is absolutely stunning.

also in the centre, about 20-30 minutes walk from that is a brand new football stadium (soccer) for their new MLS franchise, and that looks really nice as well. not an identikit bowl.
    Well we have CCFC twenty minutes from the city centre now we just have to relocate the Principality

Cardiff Gate , Cardiff West , plenty of places

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well we have CCFC twenty minutes from the city centre now we just have to relocate the Principality

why though?

in st louis the stadium is bang in the middle of the city centre and it enhances the whole center.
    having a soulless stadium out on a business park out of town does nothing for the town itself or the stadium experience.

Well uk wise is the only comparison unless we are talking worldwide

Birmingham and Manchester are large cities in the UK but in the USA barely figure compared to Chicago etc

Small cities in the UK are Exeter, Oxford , Newport , Gloucester

Medium cities Swansea , Hull , Derby etc

We are bigger than those by some distance and only just behind Bristol which is one of the UKs core cities

Cardiff is not a metropolis like Glasgow or Greater Manchester but there's only a few of them in the UK
    ost of those are cities in name only, let's be honest though, they are effectively towns.its pretty meaningless these days.
    Swansea and hull might just scrape onto being cities in my books, nobody has ever walked around Gloucester and thought they were in a bustling city.

It's a fantastic city. Has its faults yes but what city doesn't.
    The stadium makes the city imo. Not a massive rugby fan but it's a massive pull for tourists. And if you're attending something there it's quite special, not many places you can be in a city pub atmosphere then walk to a game/concert/etc.
    Not sure what you'd put there instead. I reckon you'd lose a lot of pubs etc if it wasn't there, so you'd need to fill that space too

ironically the former inhabitants of temperance town probably had far more pubs within walking distance if they'd wanted, than any of the suburbs they've built or planned to build in recent years
    Unlike the shoe factory workers in Street. The Clarks company were (and possibly stillare) Quakers and purchased the pub opposite the factory and prevented it from selling alcohol, I understand.

Bollocks

The stadium is far too big for a central location

The city cannot cope when big events are on wether that be your egg lot , football , pink , foo fighters or monster truck etc etc

Cardiff is gridlocked

A stadium and entertainments venue on the M4

Have it
    How do people who come a fair distance get home on the trains after gigs at the stadium? I can't even get back to Taunton on a train after an evening game at the CCS.

why though?

in st louis the stadium is bang in the middle of the city centre and it enhances the whole center.
    having a soulless stadium out on a business park out of town does nothing for the town itself or the stadium experience.
    St Louis isn’t a City that I would use as a yardstick for any comparison except homicides.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    St Louis isn’t a City that I would use as a yardstick for any comparison except homicides.
    the centre is nice, then a bit further out it's horrible, then right out in the suburbs it's quite nice again

seems to be a standard template for US cities tbh

Bollocks

The stadium is far too big for a central location

The city cannot cope when big events are on wether that be your egg lot , football , pink , foo fighters or monster truck etc etc

Cardiff is gridlocked

A stadium and entertainments venue on the M4

Have it
    My egg lot Think the last time I went to a game was the Rugby World Cup in 2013.

For 10-15 days a year the city is gridlocked. The trade off is 10’s of millions of pounds get pumped into businesses all across the city.

Unless you think people are going to spend their millions at B+Q in Cardiff Gate?

Cardiff would be a lesser city without the stadium. Fact.

ost of those are cities in name only, let's be honest though, they are effectively towns.its pretty meaningless these days.
    Swansea and hull might just scrape onto being cities in my books, nobody has ever walked around Gloucester and thought they were in a bustling city.
    Well clearly if you drive around Cardiff on the M4 , using the link road , head down the bay , pass through Coryton interchange etc it's definitely a bustling city with a population knocking 400 k

It's not Houston or Amsterdam but its not small

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    It's a fantastic city. Has its faults yes but what city doesn't.
    The stadium makes the city imo. Not a massive rugby fan but it's a massive pull for tourists. And if you're attending something there it's quite special, not many places you can be in a city pub atmosphere then walk to a game/concert/etc.
    Not sure what you'd put there instead. I reckon you'd lose a lot of pubs etc if it wasn't there, so you'd need to fill that space too
    The rugby stadium makes Cardiff ?

Get out of here 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How do people who come a fair distance get home on the trains after gigs at the stadium? I can't even get back to Taunton on a train after an evening game at the CCS.
    Another problem solved by relocating the stadium to the M4

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    My egg lot Think the last time I went to a game was the Rugby World Cup in 2013.

For 10-15 days a year the city is gridlocked. The trade off is 10’s of millions of pounds get pumped into businesses all across the city.

Unless you think people are going to spend their millions at B+Q in Cardiff Gate?

Cardiff would be a lesser city without the stadium. Fact.
    Listen Mr egg chaser

A lot of us don't like that stadium and want it moved

that's an absolutely terrible idea
    Yeah, but it’s Sludge isn’t it.

Eating out

That food critic Jay Rayner gave Cardiff a right roasting

There's a new Thai place called the Damp Squid or something but even that is a chain ?

That cafe quarter down the hayes ......by that canal exposure used to be good

Shopping wise the whole thing like other places has been wiped out by the Internet and then covid and now the economy

Here's another great idea

Close down the Millenium Centre which puts on shows that hardly anyone pays to go and see ......and turn it into a 2500 seater rock and pop music venue

We might be able to attract decent bands here then

What's the point of putting on plays and musicals if there's about 35 people in the audience ?

Listen Mr egg chaser

A lot of us don't like that stadium and want it moved
    Boo hoo, your teachers made you play rugby at school and there’s a nasty mean rugby stadium in the city centre. Get over it lol.

It benefits Cardiff more than it hinders it. It ain’t moving any time soon so you (and all the rest of you who want it gone apparently) can suck it up.

Boo hoo, your teachers made you play rugby at school and there’s a nasty mean rugby stadium in the city centre. Get over it lol.

It benefits Cardiff more than it hinders it. It ain’t moving any time soon so you (and all the rest of you who want it gone apparently) can suck it up.
    Up yours eggboy

You clearly love walking around looking at that thing jutting into the sky like a metal spider

I do my best to avoid it

Eating out

That food critic Jay Rayner gave Cardiff a right roasting

There's a new Thai place called the Damp Squid or something but even that is a chain ?

That cafe quarter down the hayes ......by that canal exposure used to be good

Shopping wise the whole thing like other places has been wiped out by the Internet and then covid and now the economy
    Jay Rayner has been back since he slated the restaurants in 2016 and says its vastly improved.
    Maybe you should try taking your dates to somewhere other than Dorothy's, then maybe they'll hang around long enough for a second date.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ining-23302553

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Jay Rayner has been back since he slated the restaurants in 2016 and says its vastly improved.
    Maybe you should try taking your dates to somewhere other than Dorothy's, then maybe they'll hang around long enough for a second date.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...ining-23302553
    Well thank god it has improved as the feeling was it couldn't really have got much worse

I like a good curry and Cardiff has a good spread but it's not like Birmingham or Bradford

Up yours eggboy

You clearly love walking around looking at that thing jutting into the sky like a metal spider

I do my best to avoid it
    Up yours Toryboy

The big mean stadium can’t hurt you silly billy

Up yours Toryboy

The big mean stadium can’t hurt you silly billy
    It annoys me

Hopefully it will be blitzed in my lifetime

That Canal Quarter ?

Not impressed with the size of that development

It's more like a puddle

Maybe they were constrained by everything else

Well thank god it has improved as the feeling was it couldn't really have got much worse

I like a good curry and Cardiff has a good spread but it's not like Birmingham or Bradford
    Move to Birmingham then. You could spend all day sat on the Black Sabbath bench next to the canal, eating curry.

That Canal Quarter ?

Not impressed with the size of that development

It's more like a puddle

Maybe they were constrained by everything else
    It’s part one of a much larger development which includes knocking down the Motorpoint, the building where the Traders Tavern is and developing the surface car park behind the Motorpoint. Additionally the roads in and around that area will be rerouted and more of the canal will be uncovered up to Guildford Crescent.

https://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/mgCo....aspx?ID=48501

That’s the concepts for the full development.