+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Re: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I thought this was a thread about Cardiff as a city and how nice it is, not a thread about trying to do a like for like comparison with somewhere with 300+ more years history.
    Threads tend to develop

It's the way it is

By all means talk about how great Cardiff is but there were not many takers first time around

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    An enlightened analysis Kev and spot on
    So basically Cardiff is a young city so it's crap ?

I thought this was a thread about Cardiff as a city and how nice it is, not a thread about trying to do a like for like comparison with somewhere with 300+ more years history.
    It's been highjack by the Tory from the Tory stronghold of South Wales. We see you.shove your curry mile up yer jacksie, pie and chips R us. Swilled down with a daaaark

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Threads tend to develop

It's the way it is

By all means talk about how great Cardiff is but there were not many takers first time around
    Threads develop, or get hijacked? You were the first to mention Bristol in the 3rd post in the thread. A reply which criticised Cardiff's food, music, transport, development, lack of a beach and have done so throughout the thread.

So basically Cardiff is a young city so it's crap ?
    Oh it's definitely not crap. Much of it is an interesting network of joined up villages.

Threads develop, or get hijacked? You were the first to mention Bristol in the 3rd post in the thread. A reply which criticised Cardiff's food, music, transport, development, lack of a beach and have done so throughout the thread.
    Thats because I don't think Cardiff is a great as people seem to think , for the reasons I outlined

This oh cardiff is a multi cultural oasis thing is trumped by the good and great but tiger bay was flattened , the community dispersed to estates all over the city

But I suppose we have the rugby 🏉

How does being different mean that having a chilled out bohemian district isn't possible ?

Did that sort of vibe and alternative lifestyle and liberalism begin in 1830 ?

Plymouth has the St Judes District which is alternative in its own way

The street art , urban music scene and left of centre politics started in the nineties

Not 1890 !
    A bohemian district is possible if the people of Cardiff want to make it possible.

As you’ve pointed out, Cardiff and it’s citizens are very different to Bristol and the people there, so for whatever reasons a bohemian district hasn’t materialised because there isn’t enough of a want for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    A bohemian district is possible if the people of Cardiff want to make it possible.

As you’ve pointed out, Cardiff and it’s citizens are very different to Bristol and the people there, so for whatever reasons a bohemian district hasn’t materialised because there isn’t enough of a want for one.
    So that's not a very good advert for Cardiff then ?

Poor music scene , very little alternative politics but we have a great rugby stadium in the city centre where a few times a year people get pissed up watching a sport that is insignificant to most people

Christ

So that's not a very good advert for Cardiff then ?

Poor music scene , very little alternative politics but we have a great rugby stadium in the city centre where a few times a year people get pissed up watching a sport that is insignificant to most people

Christ
    About 10.05 to 10.20 a Sabbath influence ? on Sabbath bloody Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    About 10.05 to 10.20 a Sabbath influence ? on Sabbath bloody Sabbath.

Definitely

Plenty of King Crimson , Yes as well and Genesis Lamb era

He's got a good voice

Bit of a Gabriel copy

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Rubbish. The Millennium is a huge bonus to the city and has events on all year round.

Cities like Milton Keynes, Coventry, Derby, Hull, Swansea, etc would kill to have an asset that brings in 50k-100k+ people multiple times a year. Even bigger cities like Bristol, Newcastle, Leeds and Liverpool don’t have an asset quite like it.

There’s not many cities of similar size and stature in Europe let alone the UK than can boast about hosting Olympic events, the Champions League final, Rugby World Cup, Euros finals and some of the biggest musical acts in the world.
    Newcastle is smaller than Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Only technically, if Gateshead and other urban clusters are included (which they most certainly are culturally) Newcastle has a concentrated conurbation population of approx 475k as opposed to Cardiff's 360k.

Technically that's correct but the Newcastle urban area which consists of a continuous built up area along the river Tyne......Newcastle, Gateshead , North Shields etc is 800 000

Cardiff is also bigger than Nottingham ......but again Nottingham has a continuous urban build up .....Nottingham, Carlton , West Bridgeford ....which again makes it twice the size of Cardiff

Only technically, if Gateshead and other urban clusters are included (which they most certainly are culturally) Newcastle has a concentrated conurbation population of approx 475k as opposed to Cardiff's 360k.
    You said it so much better than me

The current metro area population of Cardiff in 2023 is 488,000, a 0.62% increase from 2022.

Barry , Penarth ,is within this figure.

I’d argue it’s bigger again than Newcastle and Gateshead if you include Caerphilly some of the towns bordering Cardiff in RCT and the like.

Cardiff Council population for 2023 is getting very close to 400k. The urban population is around 1.3m

[QUOTE=TWGL1;5446348]The current metro area population of Cardiff in 2023 is 488,000, a 0.62% increase from 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyneside#Settlements

This is the greater Newcastle urban area

Newcastle , Gateshead, North Tyneside etc

A continual , joined urban area about 9 miles along the river Tyne to the sea

It's one of the uks biggest urban areas and has a population of 800 000

Cardiff doesn't have a metropolitan area really , it's just Cardiff

If you look at a similar map as the above with regard to Cardiff it's 8 miles till you get to Barry , 12 miles till you get to pontypridd and 12 miles to Newport

Clearly these are not part of Cardiffs built up area and are not joined at the hip like Newcastle is joined to Gateshead and North Tyneside

For administrative and investment purposes it's said Cardiff Metro is 1 million people but that includes Newport, Barry , Pontypridd , Caerphilly etc

Which are obviously not thought of as Cardiff by most people down this way

If you go to Newcastle you can tell its a bigger place than Cardiff by its railway station , arts , music and entertainments scene , the fact it has an underground trains system and driving around the place its clearly a big city with lots and lots of districts

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5446362]
    The current metro area population of Cardiff in 2023 is 488,000, a 0.62% increase from 2022.

If you look at a similar map as the above with regard to Cardiff it's 8 miles till you get to Barry , 12 miles till you get to pontypridd and 12 miles to Newport

Clearly these are not part of Cardiffs built up area and are not joined at the hip like Newcastle is joined to Gateshead and North Tyneside

For administrative and investment purposes it's said Cardiff Metro is 1 million people but that includes Newport, Barry , Pontypridd , Caerphilly etc

If you go to Newcastle you can tell its a bigger place than Cardiff by its railway station , arts , music and entertainments scene , the fact it has an underground trains system and driving around the place its clearly a big city with lots and lots of districts

Coincidently, I have family in Whitley Bay. I’ve been going to Newcastle since 1976 and the city itself is considerably smaller than Cardiff.

Just like you say people from Barry and the like are not thought of as Cardiff , the same is definitely said regarding the areas around Newcastle. If you ask anyone from my family in Whitley Bay they definitely will say they are not from Newcastle.

Many of those areas are also full of Sunderland supporters.

I’d argue it’s bigger again than Newcastle and Gateshead if you include Caerphilly some of the towns bordering Cardiff in RCT and the like.

Cardiff Council population for 2023 is getting very close to 400k. The urban population is around 1.3m
    If you included the Rhondda, Powys, Monmouthshire and Llanelli you could increase the urban population twofold but of course it doesn't work like that.

The Newcastle figure is just for its local environs. I can assure you it's population is much greater than Cardiff's.

[QUOTE=SLUDGE FACTORY;5446362]

I'm from Caerphilly. I support the City but I don't consider myself a Cardiffian and I don't know anyone up here who does either. We live in a medium sized town totally distinct from Cardiff with a pretty large hill separating the two.

I for one wouldn't want to suggest to people living in Barry that they're actually from Cardiff. At least not to their faces.

so to sum it up, yes Cardiff is a nice city, it's just a bit small, but sometimes small is good

If you included the Rhondda, Powys, Monmouthshire and Llanelli you could increase the urban population twofold but of course it doesn't work like that.

The Newcastle figure is just for its local environs. I can assure you it's population is much greater than Cardiff's.
    Absolutely Newcastle and its urban area is far bigger than Cardiff and its urban area

[QUOTE=TWGL1;5446386]

Coincidently, I have family in Whitley Bay. I’ve been going to Newcastle since 1976 and the city itself is considerably smaller than Cardiff.

Just like you say people from Barry and the like are not thought of as Cardiff , the same is definitely said regarding the areas around Newcastle. If you ask anyone from my family in Whitley Bay they definitely will say they are not from Newcastle.

Many of those areas are also full of Sunderland supporters.
    Newcastle and its suburbs and integrated urban towns and built up areas are a true metropolitan area .....like Leeds , Birmingham , Glasgow

Newcastle joins and serves as the urban centre for Newcastle, Gateshead , North Tyneside , Jarrow , etc .......its a big place and it's all one big population

Cardiff is on the next rung down and only if you include urban populations 8 to 12 miles away .....eg pontypridd .....separated by fields of grass and cows ......does its population hit the big league

It's not a big place like Tyneside , Leeds , Greater Manchester , Greater Glasgow etc

Its not a small city but its not big .....for example It's not as big as the Bournemouth urban area , I think that says it all

The urban population includes Newport, the South Wales valleys , the Vale of Glamorgan

These are not Cardiff , clearly , that's used to attract industry , for planning purposes , health authorities , roads , provision of services

The population of Tyneside......Greater Newcastle.......not Sunderland etc .....is 800 000 ......considerably bigger ......almost twice as big ......as Greater Cardiff at 488 000

Newcastle , Gateshead , North Shields , North Tyneside are big , all one continuous urban unit .....look on the map..... and twice as populated as Cardiff , Penarth , Llandough , Dinas .....you could even throw Barry and Llantrisant in if you want .....geordieland is huge

The urban population includes Newport, the South Wales valleys , the Vale of Glamorgan

These are not Cardiff , clearly , that's used to attract industry , for planning purposes , health authorities , roads , provision of services

The population of Tyneside......Greater Newcastle.......not Sunderland etc .....is 800 000 ......considerably bigger ......almost twice as big ......as Greater Cardiff at 488 000

Newcastle , Gateshead , North Shields , North Tyneside are big , all one continuous urban unit .....look on the map..... and twice as populated as Cardiff , Penarth , Llandough , Dinas .....you could even throw Barry and Llantrisant in if you want .....geordieland is huge

As cities go , ( which was what the thread was about) Cardiff City population is larger than Newcastle City, but the Urban Area isn't, sorted.

As cities go , ( which was what the thread was about) Cardiff City population is larger than Newcastle City, but the Urban Area isn't, sorted.
    Cardiff .......the place people know as Cardiff ......is nowhere near the size of Newcastle

Newcastle Central Station is a big station because Newcastle serves a big place

Look at a map of Newcastle and its suburbs and feeder towns ......Look at a map of Cardiff ...its suburbs and feeder towns

I am happy to stick them up , our city is a third of the area and half the population