Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
Ive said this in the past

I really dont understand it, Its not till you move away from Wales and realise that its not reciprocal, Most English people I know want Wales to do well in games ( apart from when we play England and thats fair enough ) they loved Euro 16, the amount of people who wanted Wales to do well, would message me and say " well done " etc etc, I wore my Welsh shirt alot during that time, strangers would say " good luck tomorrow / tonight etc " , which at the time when I mentioned it on here at the time, it appeared to anger some and they said the English were jumping on the bandwagon and had no right to support Wales

I was speaking to one of my mums carer's when I called in, My mum mentioned the final is on tomorrow to my daughter, the carer went on a rant about how much she wanted England to lose, I asked why, Her reply " Cause Im welsh " I explained that you dont have to hate the English to prove you are Welsh, you can be proud to be welsh without the hatred , she didnt get it
I'm Welsh but have little or nothing in common with the majority of my compatriots, especially when it comes to attitudes to the UK and England. Maybe it's because for the vast majority of my working life I've travelled all over the UK, have developed friendships and ties with English people, but in the main, I believe the steady parochialism of the Welsh media and Government has had an over-riding influence. True, England go over the top at finals etc., but the Welsh have but one obsession, themselves. Small nations by nature will always have that 'underdog' mentality, but in Wales it's more than that, and makes us look small-minded and with a massive chip on our shoulders..