+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Women’s World Cup

Re: Women’s World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It sounds like a reasonable suggestion but would be up to them to decide I guess. I have always thought men's goals could be made a little larger (an inch or two) just to reflect the fact people are getting taller.
    And the balls isnt a heavy lump of leather now, so it moves faster and moves more

add another 2' on the width imho

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    The Spanish Football Federation has announced the death of Olga Carmona's father.

The World Cup-winning captain learned of the news after the Women's World Cup final
    So sad. Thought they were such a great team today. I'm a convert to the women's game basically.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    '.they left nothing out there...' It's a comment I've heard used many of times - literally means they put in 100% effort. Why has the Guardian newspaper made a story about it?
    Maybe the Daily Mail is more to your taste, the story is self explanatory, Sunak, or whoever wrote the message for him, cocked up. It’s nothing that important in the grand scheme of things just another example of him proving that he really should steer clear of trying to come over as the man of the people he plainly Isn’t.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-girls.html

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Maybe the Daily Mail is more to your taste, the story is self explanatory, Sunak, or whoever wrote the message for him, cocked up. It’s nothing that important in the grand scheme of things just another example of him proving that he really should steer clear of trying to come over as the man of the people he plainly Isn’t.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-girls.html
    He's a complete arse candle 🕯

Utter wet fart

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    '.they left nothing out there...' It's a comment I've heard used many of times - literally means they put in 100% effort. Why has the Guardian newspaper made a story about it?
    Everything

Leave Everything out there

In other words give it your all and leave it there

So leave all your effort ......out there

Not leave NOTHING out there

He's gibbering

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've never felt it was "rammed down my throat"
    . Honestly, it makes the Welsh seem so small-minded (which a lot are in my experience)
    Ive said this in the past

I really dont understand it, Its not till you move away from Wales and realise that its not reciprocal, Most English people I know want Wales to do well in games ( apart from when we play England and thats fair enough ) they loved Euro 16, the amount of people who wanted Wales to do well, would message me and say " well done " etc etc, I wore my Welsh shirt alot during that time, strangers would say " good luck tomorrow / tonight etc " , which at the time when I mentioned it on here at the time, it appeared to anger some and they said the English were jumping on the bandwagon and had no right to support Wales

I was speaking to one of my mums carer's when I called in, My mum mentioned the final is on tomorrow to my daughter, the carer went on a rant about how much she wanted England to lose, I asked why, Her reply " Cause Im welsh " I explained that you dont have to hate the English to prove you are Welsh, you can be proud to be welsh without the hatred , she didnt get it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

I really dont understand it, Its not till you move away from Wales and realise that its not reciprocal, Most English people I know want Wales to do well in games ( apart from when we play England and thats fair enough ) they loved Euro 16, the amount of people who wanted Wales to do well, would message me and say " well done " etc etc, I wore my Welsh shirt alot during that time, strangers would say " good luck tomorrow / tonight etc " , which at the time when I mentioned it on here at the time, it appeared to anger some and they said the English were jumping on the bandwagon and had no right to support Wales

I was speaking to one of my mums carer's when I called in, My mum mentioned the final is on tomorrow to my daughter, the carer went on a rant about how much she wanted England to lose, I asked why, Her reply " Cause Im welsh " I explained that you dont have to hate the English to prove you are Welsh, you can be proud to be welsh without the hatred , she didnt get it
    I agree entirely with you.

I have spent the last 45 years living in London, Kent, Somerset, Dorset and Devon and only experienced the same supportive comments from my English friends, colleagues and neighbours.

Think the Welsh/English relationship is different to the England/Wales one though. I guarantee that no one from England has been called Welsh because the person concerned automatically says Wales when they mean the UK. Similarly, you wouldn't get Welsh people saying Wales when they meant the UK, which is something which happens frequently with English people whose default setting is to say England when they mean the UK, There's also the whole oppressed/oppressor thing.

I've met English people I dislike, but that applies equally to Welsh people - I don't dislike them because they're English. On the other hand, I would dislike Tommy Robinson types who are as anti Welsh as they are anti any other country but their own and I would find it hard to get along with someone who, maybe in all innocence, kept on saying England when they meant UK.

I have lived most of my life in England - Shrewsbury, Wilmslow, Bristol and Sheffield.

My partner is English (Coventry). Most of my friends are English.

The main reaction to Welsh sport from English people in my experience is indifference.

A few picked up on Wales 2016 and were supportive. Most ignored it.

But I have been with English people who have been abusive and insulting about the Welsh - without them realising where I am from. Not often - but it has happened. The worst examples were junior suits in the construction industry.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think the Welsh/English relationship is different to the England/Wales one though. I guarantee that no one from England has been called Welsh because the person concerned automatically says Wales when they mean the UK. Similarly, you wouldn't get Welsh people saying Wales when they meant the UK, which is something which happens frequently with English people whose default setting is to say England when they mean the UK, There's also the whole oppressed/oppressor thing.

I've met English people I dislike, but that applies equally to Welsh people - I don't dislike them because they're English. On the other hand, I would dislike Tommy Robinson types who are as anti Welsh as they are anti any other country but their own and I would find it hard to get along with someone who, maybe in all innocence, kept on saying England when they meant UK.
    This is the nail on the head right here. I’ve lived in Canada, NZ and Australia and the sheer ignorance that the U.K. and England aren’t exactly the same thing is painful. There’s people in Australia that don’t even realise Wales exists when their most famous state is called New South Wales.

That being said, living overseas I’ve also noticed how poorly England treat Wales both now and in the past but people in Wales just suck it up. This is covered up mainly due to no Welsh media and the U.K. media being pro-England, which imo is the biggest reason why Welsh people don’t want England to succeed in sport, as England team’s “journeys” are rammed down their throats constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    That being said, living overseas I’ve also noticed how poorly England treat Wales both now and in the past but people in Wales just suck it up. This is covered up mainly due to no Welsh media and the U.K. media being pro-England, which imo is the biggest reason why Welsh people don’t want England to succeed in sport, as England team’s “journeys” are rammed down their throats constantly.
    No Welsh media? Are you sure?

Completely agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It sounds like a reasonable suggestion but would be up to them to decide I guess. I have always thought men's goals could be made a little larger (an inch or two) just to reflect the fact people are getting taller.
    I've read elsewhere that the average height of a women's goalkeeper is about the same as the average men's keeper when the height of the goals was determined, so there might be something in that

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    This is the nail on the head right here. I’ve lived in Canada, NZ and Australia and the sheer ignorance that the U.K. and England aren’t exactly the same thing is painful. There’s people in Australia that don’t even realise Wales exists when their most famous state is called New South Wales.

Do you think that the people of Cornwall, Cumberland and Northumberland are treated any better than the Welsh? Many governments around the world have the same criticisms aimed at them from their fellow countrymen living in the regions far from their capital cities.
    I understand all the historic stuff although much of it is cherry picked from a certain point in time and overlaid with myths and symbology (often with associations with wealthy landowners who had little in common with the common peoople) but I do think that a lot of Welsh people have a chip on their shoulder.
    On the other hand, the concept of England and Englishness was also forged by tribes from other lands, whether they were Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Danes, Huegenots and a lot else. The invaders of what became Great Britain's global colonies included Welsh people.
    A Scottish friend of mine always supports the Germans against England, which seems to suggest that ancient wars and rivalries matter more than those that took place in the last century.
    I fully understand the concept of local rivalry but sometimes it does come over as a chip on people's shoulders.
    I suggest that everyone takes a DNA test and finds out what parts of Europe it is associated with. A few ultra-nationalists may be quite surprised - just like the black activist Spike Lee was, who discovered from genealogical research that a white slave owner was one of his ancestors.

I'm Welsh but have little or nothing in common with the majority of my compatriots, especially when it comes to attitudes to the UK and England. Maybe it's because for the vast majority of my working life I've travelled all over the UK, have developed friendships and ties with English people, but in the main, I believe the steady parochialism of the Welsh media and Government has had an over-riding influence. True, England go over the top at finals etc., but the Welsh have but one obsession, themselves. Small nations by nature will always have that 'underdog' mentality, but in Wales it's more than that, and makes us look small-minded and with a massive chip on our shoulders..