+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City Commentators.

Cardiff City Commentators.

The regular pair that do the commentary are beyond terrible.
    They need to be palmed off to Forest Green.

Clueless in what they say and have the delivery and charisma of a pair introverted rice cakes.

I switched to the QPR commentary, which was a little biased but light years ahead of ours.

Re: Cardiff City Commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Clueless in what they say and have the delivery and charisma of a pair introverted rice cakes.

I switched to the QPR commentary, which was a little biased but light years ahead of ours.
    We still lament the demise of the legend that was the late Phil Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

I just watched the extended highlights and some of the things said were very confusing - what do they mean when they say someone "feathered" the ball? Another one they're fond of using is "k'raal" which I am assuming means control (the ball). The main commentator in particular has a vocabulary which contains all sorts of what I can only think are "in" words among those who are close to modern day football because of their work. I know I'm being a grumpy old fogey here, but there have been perfectly acceptable words used to describe things which occur in football that have been used for decades (if not centuries) that everyone understands, so why not just use them rather than what I'll call "football speak"?

That's not the main reason for my confusion regarding the commentary though. I spent the first five minutes of watching the highlights wondering who the QPR player he was calling something like Shukhir was before I finally realised that he was talking about Ilias Chair (who we gave the freedom of he park to from minute one). Now. I've heard plenty of commentators talking about this player and, before yesterday, every one of them called him Chair - damnit, the QPR commentators when I watched the game at their place last season called him Chair and their supporters were even calling him that yesterday, so, why the Shukhir?

I been saying it for a few years and I got shot down by this board, I can’t bring myself to pay a tenner and put myself through it anymore.
    The biggest muppets in the whole of the EFL.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I just watched the extended highlights and some of the things said were very confusing - what do they mean when they say someone "feathered" the ball? Another one they're fond of using is "k'raal" which I am assuming means control (the ball). The main commentator in particular has a vocabulary which contains all sorts of what I can only think are "in" words among those who are close to modern day football because of their work. I know I'm being a grumpy old fogey here, but there have been perfectly acceptable words used to describe things which occur in football that have been used for decades (if not centuries) that everyone understands, so why not just use them rather than what I'll call "football speak"?

That's not the main reason for my confusion regarding the commentary though. I spent the first five minutes of watching the highlights wondering who the QPR player he was calling something like Shukhir was before I finally realised that he was talking about Ilias Chair (who we gave the freedom of he park to from minute one). Now. I've heard plenty of commentators talking about this player and, before yesterday, every one of them called him Chair - damnit, the QPR commentators when I watched the game at their place last season called him Chair and their supporters were even calling him that yesterday, so, why the Shukhir?
    Absolutely that pissed me off no end. Initially I was trying to find out if QPR had introduced a late replacement as I didn't recognize who the commentator was on about.

I don't know the lead commentators name but he's woeful. As you said he tries to show off with "in" words and phrases when they are unnecessary at best and irritating at worst. But he's also dreary and clichéd to listen to. Also he continually commits one of my pet hates in tangentially droning on about irrelevant snippets of information instead of sticking to the game commentary. Probably an idiosyncracy here but I also get annoyed by his constant reference to our players by their first names rather than their surnames. It's like he wants to show he's part of the clique.

He could have done a lot better yesterday by calling Chair "Sofa" "Settee" or "Stool".

The best remedy is to listen to the opposition's commentary instead.

I thought I was the only one who didn't realize who Shaheer was until about the 70th minute on the City commentary

I watched with the QPR commentary, the " are we playing 442, 433, 451, analysis from them gets me reaching for the change feed option, it's 11 v 11 and if we win or not, and if we play some good football.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Probably an idiosyncracy here but I also get annoyed by his constant reference to our players by their first names rather than their surnames. It's like he wants to show he's part of the clique.
    This is one of my bug bears.
    It really makes my teeth itch along with calling players “Young Tanner” for example.

I think they do quite well and the detractors are being harsh here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    I think they do quite well and the detractors are being harsh here
    Are you the main commentator or the sidekick lol?

Shaheer might be how you pronounce "Chair" (for all I know) and the City media team are the only ones who bothered to find out. But they're up against it - I remember Barry Davies trying to persuade the audience Jan Molby was pronounced Molboo, and he was an early adopter of Turkiye instead of Turkey but neither really caught on. Once the name takes hold, it doesn't matter how wrong it's pronounced.

The City commentators seem to have got the gig because they were already part of the media team and they couldn't afford to hire a proper one. Sometimes, it shows. Considering some of the proper telly commentators are annoying, once you get to this standard it's going to be a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Shaheer might be how you pronounce "Chair" (for all I know) and the City media team are the only ones who bothered to find out. But they're up against it - I remember Barry Davies trying to persuade the audience Jan Molby was pronounced Molboo, and he was an early adopter of Turkiye instead of Turkey but neither really caught on. Once the name takes hold, it doesn't matter how wrong it's pronounced.

The City commentators seem to have got the gig because they were already part of the media team and they couldn't afford to hire a proper one. Sometimes, it shows. Considering some of the proper telly commentators are annoying, once you get to this standard it's going to be a struggle.
    It’s not cheap at £10 a pop - I personally expect better than what's being served up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    It’s not cheap at £10 a pop - I personally expect better than what's being served up.
    Fair point. How about a crowd noise only option?

For half price - 🤣🤣

That thought did cross my mind, but, as I said, no one at his own club has used that pronunciation as far as I’m aware and you would have thought someone at the World Cup would have used it somewhere along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Are you the main commentator or the sidekick lol?
    Don’t think the “sidekick” on Saturday is too bad, I enjoy his commentaries on under 21 team games.

A wonderful idea.