+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Potential Value of Cardiff City

Potential Value of Cardiff City

£80/90m in today’s market

Dalman says the value of football clubs is 'going through the roof', with private equity firms getting heavily involved amid foreign ownership interest. As such, whereas Cardiff would have been worth around £30m a few years back, a thriving Bluebirds might soon be worth closer to £80m or £90m in the current market.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...mments-wrapper

Re: Potential Value of Cardiff City

..that would be a decent return for Tan...but somehow I doubt it....

I believe my mother more than I believe Dalman and she once told me the rag-and-bone man abducts naughty kids.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Dalman says the value of football clubs is 'going through the roof', with private equity firms getting heavily involved amid foreign ownership interest. As such, whereas Cardiff would have been worth around £30m a few years back, a thriving Bluebirds might soon be worth closer to £80m or £90m in the current market.

That’s just Dalman talking nonsense as he’s putting his money in now not the useless emperor

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    That’s just Dalman talking nonsense as he’s putting his money in now not the useless emperor
    The same article states that Tan has paid the remaining transfer fee for Sala ( plus sanctioned this seasons transfers so far ) so I don’t think that’s entirely correct.

The same article states that Tan has paid the remaining transfer fee for Sala ( plus sanctioned this seasons transfers so far ) so I don’t think that’s entirely correct.
    So how is Dalman apparently owed £30 million? Begs belief

No idea, it’s not my money and I’m not a shareholder.

From Dalman
    None of the above could happen, of course, without the full backing of Cardiff's Malaysian owner.

Vincent Tan has just paid £18million out of his own pocket to settle the Emiliano Sala transfer bill with Nantes. Cardiff have had to do that to meet football regulations, but are seeking damages through the court of law, which obviously overrides football, over the way the accident happened.

Dalman says having to come up with such a large sum himself 'hurt' Tan, but points out it underlines the owner's commitment to the club.

"Vincent is absolutely delighted to have Ramsey here. The Ramsey deal couldn't have happened without Vincent's support. It's his chequebook that runs the club," said Dalman..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    From Dalman
    None of the above could happen, of course, without the full backing of Cardiff's Malaysian owner.

Vincent Tan has just paid £18million out of his own pocket to settle the Emiliano Sala transfer bill with Nantes. Cardiff have had to do that to meet football regulations, but are seeking damages through the court of law, which obviously overrides football, over the way the accident happened.

Dalman says having to come up with such a large sum himself 'hurt' Tan, but points out it underlines the owner's commitment to the club.

"Vincent is absolutely delighted to have Ramsey here. The Ramsey deal couldn't have happened without Vincent's support. It's his chequebook that runs the club," said Dalman..
    If I was Tan I would have ben spitting feathers with the club for allowing the Sala debacle to occur. Hope he manages to sue to @rse off anyone he can.

If someone offered Tan 80 million now - he would bite their hand off. There is no reason we cant be like Brighton / Bournemouth or even Leicester and have a sustained run in the PL. Cursed by bad luck, amateur club officials, and bad decisions. I guess that defines us.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    If I was Tan I would have ben spitting feathers with the club for allowing the Sala debacle to occur. Hope he manages to sue to @rse off anyone he can.

If someone offered Tan 80 million now - he would bite their hand off. There is no reason we cant be like Brighton / Bournemouth or even Leicester and have a sustained run in the PL. Cursed by bad luck, amateur club officials, and bad decisions. I guess that defines us.
    Tan sanctioned the Sala transfer himself in his role as plenary executive against the judgement and wishes of the transfer committee (chiefly Dalman). Tan could not be blamed for the air crash but he can in no way point the finger of blame at anyone at the club at the time (with the possible exception of himself).

It's not cursed bad luck nor bad decisions what defines us but extremely poor management headed by an intransigent and clueless dictator.

He mentioned this at the meeting on Saturday but that valuation would only be applicable if we were a top 10 Championship club. Getting to that position would be the only way in which Tan might get that sort of sum for the club. He's never going to get all his money back. As an Investment Banker who brokered the sale of Man U to the Glazers, Dalman has some experience in this field.

BBC write up

Dalman hails Cardiff's best transfer window

Chairman Mehmet Dalman says Cardiff City's summer transfer window has been the best of his decade with the club.

The Championship side have made six signings so far, including Wales captain Aaron Ramsey.

Dalman expects Cardiff to make two more additions before the window shuts, while Wales striker Kieffer Moore could be another who returns to the club.

"We gave a presentation to [owner] Vincent Tan about wanting to shift from quantity to quality," said Dalman.

"Six players so far but, in going for the quality, the cost base has not gone up tremendously because players have left and others will be going as well. We have an absolute determination to balance the books.

"At least three or four will be leaving, we have also sent talented youngsters out on loan. We want them to get 30-35 games behind them and come back better players.

"Since I've been here as chairman this is the best window I've been involved in. The main difference is that previous managers knew who they wanted position-wise, went to agents in the market to see who's available, take them or not.

"The difference this time is [manager] Erol Bulut has a certain style of football and asked us who the best talents were to suit that. We went after them. Some we were told were not available very quickly, some were interested.

"Remember over the last two years this cub has fought against relegation, so it hasn't been the easiest of [sales] pitches this summer. We had to go out and sell a dream and that's been the difference."

Cardiff have only been able to add to their squad with free transfers and loans this summer because of a three-window transfer embargo which means they cannot pay fees for players.

That embargo, which will be lifted in January 2024, was imposed by Fifa because of Cardiff's refusal to pay the first instalment of the transfer fee they had agreed with FC Nantes for Emiliano Sala.

Cardiff have since paid Nantes the transfer balance for Sala, who died in a plane crash in 2019 before he could play for the Welsh side.

"The club is 100% reliant financially on Vincent [Tan]," Dalman said.

"He's paid the bill for Sala, £18m - that's come from his own pocket. That hurt. Legal action is still going on."

Ramsey comes home after Gareth Bale deal fell through

Aaron Ramsey left French side Nice to start his third spell at first club Cardiff.

Ramsey's return to his boyhood club last month was one of the highest-profile transfers in the Championship this year, with the former Arsenal and Juventus midfielder representing a major coup for Cardiff.

Before the deal was completed, some Bluebirds supporters might have worried it might have fallen through like last year's pursuit of another Welsh great, Gareth Bale.

The former Real Madrid forward held talks with Cardiff but, unlike Ramsey who had previously played for the Bluebirds, Bale did not have the same emotional attachment to the club.

"It's a bit embarrassing for me to admit it, but I thought we'd done a deal with Gareth Bale," said Dalman.

"I met Aaron face to face. That enables you to take a view on his real attitude. He didn't send agents making demands, he did the negotiations himself.

"We had a cup of coffee, he said 'I'd love to play for Cardiff' and we said 'We'd love to have you'."

Ramsey could have another of his Wales team-mates playing alongside him for Cardiff before the transfer window shuts on 1 September if the Bluebirds re-sign striker Moore.

Cardiff want to loan the 31-year-old, who they sold to Bournemouth for around £5m in January 2022.

"We have other forward options. Bournemouth definitely don't want to loan him, they'd prefer to sell," Dalman said.

"We wouldn't be able to buy him even if we wanted to. But if in the last week of the window they ask are you still interested, we'll take a stance then on where we are with the team."

Potential American investment?

Cardiff have experienced extreme highs and lows since Tan arrived in 2010, with Premier League promotions and relegations interspersed with rebrands, acrimonious managerial departures and countless other controversies.

Dalman says Cardiff's Malaysian owner remains committed to the club but the chairman remains open to the idea of additional investment.

"I've been meeting a lot with US private equity funds and the valuation of football clubs is going through the roof. Americans are determined to come into this market quite heavily," said Dalman.

"I spoke to the owners of Leeds when we were there, and Championship clubs are valued at three times their revenue, give or take.

"Manchester United are going to announce their sale at £7.2bn-7.3bn, which is roughly 10 times their revenue.

"Two or three years ago, we might have been talking about selling Cardiff for about £20m or £30m but now you're going to have to look at £90m or £100m. Valuations [of Championship clubs] have all stretched.

"In terms of the money burned, you have a better chance of getting it back in this environment than you ever have before.

"Over the last two years Vincent became quite depressed at the way results went for us. If we can reawaken this, I think he'll be rejuvenated.

"If we're in the top 10 at Christmas I think you'll see a very interested Vincent Tan. I really hope it happens for him because he deserves to recoup some of his investment.

"Right now, there is no such discussion [about selling Cardiff] but if someone wants to talk to me, come and talk to me.

"We need to succeed on the pitch to get revenue into this football club. There's a feelgood factor about it at the moment. I'm enjoying that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66488314

Supposedly Tan has invested close to £150m so to describe him as the useless Emperor is unfair. Even if the club is worth 80 to 90m that would still mean a massive loss.

That's exactly why he's useless. Incompetence is judged on its own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    That's exactly why he's useless. Incompetence is judged on its own merits.
    That's one way of looking at it I suppose. On the other hand he is not useless for supporting the club financially and keeping us afloat for the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That's one way of looking at it I suppose. On the other hand he is not useless for supporting the club financially and keeping us afloat for the last few years.
    I don't agree I'm sorry. I'm not in the least bit interested in his financial woes. He chose to invest in the club for his own personal reasons. Financial gain was no doubt one of those reasons but enhanced status was certainly another. If it unravels well shit happens.

He's an astonishing wealthy individual so the supposed £150 million he has invested is only a small fraction of his total worth. It's probably the crude equivalent of your ordinary Joe investing £15k into a project. If it goes tits up he will survive...in luxury.

If it's true that he has invested £150 million in a project which is now (optimistically ) worth 40% less then , with respect, useless is a fair appraisal of him in my opinion.

Although he is the legal owner, in ethical terms he only has the privilege of being the Trustee of the club on behalf of and under sufferance of the fan base.

Had he chosen a different route and set up a professional management structure run by experts in all aspects of football management and at the same time restrained himself by taking a low key back seat then our fortunes might well have turned out much much better and not only would he have achieved his personal goals but he would have been held in far higher esteem by the most important people in all of this...us fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't agree I'm sorry. I'm not in the least bit interested in his financial woes. He chose to invest in the club for his own personal reasons. Financial gain was no doubt one of those reasons but enhanced status was certainly another. If it unravels well shit happens.

He's an astonishing wealthy individual so the supposed £150 million he has invested is only a small fraction of his total worth. It's probably the crude equivalent of your ordinary Joe investing £15k into a project. If it goes tits up he will survive...in luxury.

If it's true that he has invested £150 million in a project which is now (optimistically ) worth 40% less then , with respect, useless is a fair appraisal of him in my opinion.

Although he is the legal owner, in ethical terms he only has the privilege of being the Trustee of the club on behalf of and under sufferance of the fan base.

Had he chosen a different route and set up a professional management structure run by experts in all aspects of football management and at the same time restrained himself by taking a low key back seat then our fortunes might well have turned out much much better and not only would he have achieved his personal goals but he would have been held in far higher esteem by the most important people in all of this...us fans.
    That's a well argued case with which I disagree. In any walk of life hindsight is a wonderful thing but the fact remains he invested in the club when others couldn't or wouldn't and I for one am glad we remain in business even though we are pretty useless at the moment and have been for the last few years. He could have walked away at any time but didn't and in my book that and the other things mentioned renders him a far from useless owner even though he has made many errors along the way.

We are not going to agree but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That's a well argued case with which I disagree. In any walk of life hindsight is a wonderful thing but the fact remains he invested in the club when others couldn't or wouldn't and I for one am glad we remain in business even though we are pretty useless at the moment and have been for the last few years. He could have walked away at any time but didn't and in my book that and the other things mentioned renders him a far from useless owner even though he has made many errors along the way.

We are not going to agree but that's life.
    There's no moral aspect to someone investing in anything in my book (unless it was a government authority for altruistic motives). I wish he had disappeared long ago.

But, as you rightly said, that's life and unfortunately us little people can do nothing about it. 😭

Looks like Dalman has tipped off the Manchester Evening News about the sale of Man Utd

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...atest-27516559

"It's a bit embarrassing for me to admit it, but I thought we'd done a deal with Gareth Bale," said Dalman.

"I met Aaron face to face. That enables you to take a view on his real attitude. He didn't send agents making demands, he did the negotiations himself.

"We had a cup of coffee, he said 'I'd love to play for Cardiff' and we said 'We'd love to have you'."

Everything coming out about Rambo is good, thats a great statement right there

"Thriving" being the operative word.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    "Thriving" being the operative word.
    Based on the last few seasons performances and results, together with a few mishaps along the way, I reckon we are about as far away from "thriving" as Manhattan is distant from where I'm sitting. (Metaphorically of course).