+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scoring the first goal stats

Scoring the first goal stats

Much has been made about City getting on the front foot at the start of games and trying to dominate, particularly in terms of getting the crowd excited, trying to get the often-important first goal, so I thought I'd look at how all teams in the top 4 divisions have fared in terms of scoring that first goal. I've gone back to the start of the 2020/21 season, the start of the development of us as relegation candidates with a crap home record. I'd previously touched upon the fact that we have one of the worst home records across the 4 divisions over the last 3 seasons.

In 70 home games we've scored first on 27 occasions (39%). Only sufferers of Harrogate (34%) and Preston (37%) have seen their sides score the opening goal on the fewest occasions as a percentage. 6 Premier League sides have scored fewer opening goals than us over the last 3 seasons but they've played around 25 games fewer as well.

We show great generosity at the other end. 56% of the first goals scored at the CCS have been by the away team. That's 39 goals, 12 more than we've scored in 3 seasons. Only Harrogate have a worse record than us with 57%.

Our form away from home for scoring first is ranked 41st (best), scoring first on 2 more occasions away from home than at home.

Overall, only 11 teams have a worse scoring first rate than us and only 8 teams have a worse conceding first rate than us. That's bad enough, but at home our stats really are utterly pathetic.

Re: Scoring the first goal stats

oh...thanks Eric....really depressed my day...

Just relieved not to be supporting Harrogate

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5446202 I've gone back to the start of the 2020/21 season, the start of the development of us as relegation candidates with a crap home record.[/QUOTE]

This bit made me laugh, the rest is utterly depressing.

Have you ever thought of putting your database on a website having a Stats guru feature, just like the ESPN cricinfo site? I've thought of the name - ericinfo.