+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FT: LEICESTER CITY 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: LEICESTER CITY v CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Don't rate McGuiness one bit. Ng isn't a right back. Not by the modern requirements anyway.
    He isn't a centre back either, certainly not in a back 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    McGuiness struggles like hell when he has time to think, same as loads of defenders at this level. Put him in a position (Like the leeds game) where he has to react, then he does ok, like Lee Peltier did ok when he was getting pressured to shit and back during our Premier league season. Contrary to what some fans think, having to react as opposed to playing, is quite easy for defenders. Somebody else is dictating how they have to play, think etc. Most of them can just stop other players. Give them time on the ball, give them time to think etc, as much part of defending these days as defending a set piece. Then we see how good players are.
    It's why they're defenders, if they could think they'd be playing higher up the pitch (at this level at least). Even now most defenders prefer the more "archaic" side of the game (blocks, tackles etc). Joe Rodon comes to mind as a good example of the difference between good and ok defenders, he's fine at the reactive side of defending, blocks, tackles and so on but when he has to think he falls apart (ironically leading to more blocks and tackles because his positioning's so poor). 20 years ago he possibly gets away with it and wouldn't have bombed at Spurs, but not now

As much as some people say a lot of attacking play is "instinctive", it really isn't, it just looks that way at the top because the very best make it look easy. They're constantly making decisions and being proactive (well, they should be) and needing to be brave in taking risks

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Not a bad summary that, desperation defending isn't a good barometer of a players worth. Like you say, given time he struggles massively and is easily one of our worst decision makers, the amount of balls he aimlessly just punts over the top expecting a winger to have Usain Bolt levels of speed is absurd.

My preference for Ng being at centre back is also due to his decision making, he gets halfway up the pitch and then forgets which way the goals are, he isn't a RWB by any measure, which is what is expected of anyone occupying his position in 2023.
    Obviously. Defenders are going to have to do that backs to the wall shit from time to time, especially playing for us at the moment. Problem is when it becomes the norm, a regular thing. It's absolutely desperate stuff for long periods of time. The less we have to do it, the better we are at keeping the ball. When we play at home and the emphasis is on us to go out and win the bloody game ( I know,,,,) then our midfield and defence have real problems, especially if the opposition sit a little deeper and invite us to play, in short, we struggle, because for the best part, we can't play. As it stands, we are a better team when we have to react to a situation, we can't dictate the play, the style or tempo. Until that can happen then desperate defending and aimless balls will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It's why they're defenders, if they could think they'd be playing higher up the pitch (at this level at least). Even now most defenders prefer the more "archaic" side of the game (blocks, tackles etc). Joe Rodon comes to mind as a good example of the difference between good and ok defenders, he's fine at the reactive side of defending, blocks, tackles and so on but when he has to think he falls apart (ironically leading to more blocks and tackles because his positioning's so poor). 20 years ago he possibly gets away with it and wouldn't have bombed at Spurs, but not now

As much as some people say a lot of attacking play is "instinctive", it really isn't, it just looks that way at the top because the very best make it look easy. They're constantly making decisions and being proactive (well, they should be) and needing to be brave in taking risks
    You do a dis service to defenders, or coaching, maybe both This is championship football as well, not League 2, plenty of these players would have had some serious investment in terms of coaching etc. Defenders do need to know how to play a bit, they're in a unique position where the game is in front of them, they're the eyes and ears of the team. I don't think anyone is expecting miracles, but the ability to carry the ball 10 yards and make a comfortable pass or show a bit of composure should be a given for most defenders at Championship level. Sadly, it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You do a dis service to defenders, or coaching, maybe both This is championship football as well, not League 2, plenty of these players would have had some serious investment in terms of coaching etc. Defenders do need to know how to play a bit, they're in a unique position where the game is in front of them, they're the eyes and ears of the team. I don't think anyone is expecting miracles, but the ability to carry the ball 10 yards and make a comfortable pass or show a bit of composure should be a given for most defenders at Championship level. Sadly, it isn't.
    Oh absolutely, they're a million times better than the average person but when compared with their peers there is a reason they aren't the ones (generally) making things happen and some of that is mental rather than just purely physical or technical

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Not particularly hopeful of a result but I think the argument the other way would be you hope to play the relegated teams early in the season, when they maybe haven’t completely sussed the style of play in division out, have a post relegation hangover and maybe have a few disgruntled players whose heart isn’t in it because they are looking for moves away.

Think you can probably make the argument that we caught Leeds by surprise in the first half, and maybe some of the factors above played some part?
    Compare the attack they've put out tonight to the one they did against us, I imagine we'd have held on against that lot

COME ON CITY!!!!

LET'S DO A LEEDS AWAY AND NOT A QPR AT HOME PLEASE

LESS BALL WATCHING MORE EFFORT!

**** 'EM UP AND GET INTO 'EM!!!!!!!!

Gotta be honest, not sure where NG fits in when we play 4 at the back. He's great in a 3 CB system, but he's pretty poor positionally as a RB and pretty hopeless as 1 of 2 CBs. Romeo has to start for me at RB.

Mcguiness and Goutas.. Still has a long way to go to strike up a good partnership and convince me.

Left back... O dowda wasted there so would start him on left forward position... While JC is returning to fitness I may be tempted to play Ralls at LB.

Really really disappointed with wintle so far... People say Sawyers 'legs have gone'... But then wintle stops whenever he receives the ball and looks to pass sideways or backwards or those diagonal balls which were intercepted every time against qpr... So sawyers might have well have played because at least hes positive and is a much better passer... Wintle stops and slows everything down. Sawyers starts for me at home but away he maybbe a luxury we can ill afford. Adams starts for me against Leicester... Who to partner him with is the issue assuming our new greek god isnt ready to start.

I'd start Robinson up front with odowda behind on the left and bowler on the right and rambo in the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    COME ON CITY!!!!

LET'S DO A LEEDS AWAY AND NOT A QPR AT HOME PLEASE

LESS BALL WATCHING MORE EFFORT!

**** 'EM UP AND GET INTO 'EM!!!!!!!!

please not a Leeds away second half, that was a lot worse than anything we did against qpr

It wouldnt suprise me if Adams plays today we see a red.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    please not a Leeds away second half, that was a lot worse than anything we did against qpr
    It wasnt a lot worse. At least we defended well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Hard disagree.

The first half against a bad QPR side was 10x worse than the second half against a good Leeds side.

We defended like it was The Alamo and they got through because of a ridiculously lucky bounce. The effort was amazing and you can see how crushed our players were when that went in. Brutal.

QPR first half was just plain shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Hard disagree.

The first half against a bad QPR side was 10x worse than the second half against a good Leeds side.

We defended like it was The Alamo and they got through because of a ridiculously lucky bounce. The effort was amazing and you can see how crushed our players were when that went in. Brutal.

QPR first half was just plain shit.
    well agree to disagree then, first half against QPR was 2 pretty crap sides, and we went in a goal down due to an individual error.
    second half against Leeds was men Vs boys , they absolutely battered us for 45 minutes, we barely got the ball into their half, even if we draw a big premier League side in a cup I hope I don't see us outclassed like that again.

Ng not in the squad. Is he injured.?

Cardiff City XI: Alnwick; Romeo, McGuinness, Goutas, Collins; Wintle, Ralls; Bowler, Ramsey, O'Dowda; Ugbo.

Subs: Runarsson, Etete, Grant, Adams, Meite, Siopis, Simpson, Tanner, Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    no colwill either

Must be. Colwill binned again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Must be. Colwill binned again.
    Only just realised that. Really disappointed with that.

Think he must be, you’d have thought that his versatility would have got him a place on the bench if he had been dropped.

I’m glad to see Collins start and O’Dowda pushed up.

I hope Ng isnt being sold. Last year of contract.

Only just realised that. Really disappointed with that.
    Got a feeling it’s what this manager does, don’t see him as someone who places bringing through young players high on his list of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Got a feeling it’s what this manager does, don’t see him as someone who places bringing through young players high on his list of priorities.
    Must be demoralising for Colwill does well in the League Cup and I thought he did well when coming on v QPR when so many were so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Cardiff City XI: Alnwick; Romeo, McGuinness, Goutas, Collins; Wintle, Ralls; Bowler, Ramsey, O'Dowda; Ugbo.

Subs: Runarsson, Etete, Grant, Adams, Meite, Siopis, Simpson, Tanner, Robinson.
    Bloody hell, apart from Robinson for Ugbo, this is the team I posted a few days back. Does this qualify me for an ITK badge?

Unfortunately he doesn't make things happen. Watch the Southamptin game just finished...MOM was their 19 year old midfielder Shea Charles.