+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The case against Ryan Allsop

Re: The case against Ryan Allsop

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    His name is Allsop, but you’re right - we’ll see what happens to him in due course.

Out of interest, why do you believe City have decided to bring in an another keeper? The club went with Allsop and Alnwick last season. Why do you reckon they’ve gone out and got a third first team keeper this time around?

I believe Bulut and his staff have assessed Allsop and Alnwick and quickly concluded that one (or maybe both) of them is not good enough.
    If you want to start spell checking everything that people post, you will be here a rather long time correcting. Most people have better things to do. Plus what you believe and what is actually happening may of course not necessarily be the same thing. I know that might be a shock to you but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You know that thing when you're the only one with a particular opinion, but everyone else is suggesting the opposite? You should be used to it on here by now.
    Everyone else ? Dont make me laugh. You have a very high opinion of yourself. It is a group of about 20 City slaggers on this board that have nothing better to do than continually run individual players down. Not representative of real opinion at all. Come back to me when you have a couple of thousand similar opinions and I might believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    His name is Allsop, but you’re right - we’ll see what happens to him in due course.

Out of interest, why do you believe City have decided to bring in an another keeper? The club went with Allsop and Alnwick last season. Why do you reckon they’ve gone out and got a third first team keeper this time around?

I believe Bulut and his staff have assessed Allsop and Alnwick and quickly concluded that one (or maybe both) of them is not good enough.
    Selective quoting again I see. How about you look at what I said in the rest of my post about Allsop and give us your reasoned analysis on that, instead of asking silly questions that can only have hypothetical answers.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Selective quoting again I see. How about you look at what I said in the rest of my post about Allsop and give us your reasoned analysis on that, instead of asking silly questions that can only have hypothetical answers.
    I think Allsop is poor by Championship standards. I think he might have played his last game for the club. I sincerely hope that’s the case as there’s nothing about his game I like. Hope that helps.

All our keepers are poor have been fir a while. We were blessed with very good keepers over the years .

To be fair it's an unforgiving position to play, others outfield players can make mistakes, if a keeper does it can be fatal and then your a kent

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Certainly. Here's everything you've posted about Allsop with my own thoughts on them.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954
    I look at is that we conceded 58 goals last season, which for a struggling team that finished in 21st place is excellent. Plus there were ten other teams that finished with the same or worse goals against record, including Swansea who finished in 10th place. Even Middlesborough, who finished 4th, shipped 56 goals.
    You won't get any arguments from me on this. Only two sides in the history of the second tier when it has been 24 teams has finished 21st and conceded less than 58. In fact, only 6 sides in the 24-team second tier have been relegated conceding less. However, there's a distinction to be made between saying we had a good defence last season and saying we had a good defence for teams finishing 21st. In fact, over the last 30 years, 58 is the average number of goals scored or conceded in the Championship for each team, so in context, our defence was average last season by Championship standards.

Alsop made a number of key saves, including a couple of penalties.
    Excellent. Doing his job then. His penalty save against Blackburn won us the points, though it was his foul in the first place that caused it. His other penalty save, at Luton, made no difference to the outcome as we lost 1-0. In the 12 games where we kept clean sheets, he didn't make a save in 4 of those games, made only 1 save in 5 of them but made 4 and 5 saves respectively against Coventry and West Brom, so 12 clean sheets but only 2 games where he made several saves. In games where goalkeepers make very few, if any saves, I'd assume that we got the defensive side of our game spot on. I'd put that down mainly to the outfield players. In games where he made 3 saves or more, we won 6 points out of 69, so the number of games where he made key saves that won us points were actually few and far between.

The reason we nearly got relegated was therefore nothing to do with the defence or goalkeeper, it was because we only scored 41 goals, the second worst in the league. There is a strong argument therefore that if it wasn't for Alsop and the defence, we probably would have got relegated.
    Agreed about our attack. However, I'm going to separate Allsop and our defence just for a moment.

Under Allsop we allowed a shot on target every 27 minutes. For all goalkeepers with 20 or more starts in the Championship, that ranks as 9th best. However, 37% of shots on target on our goal went in, which ranks as 6th worst. Take Viktor Johansson at Rotherham. He faced 69 more shots on target than Allsop but only conceded 3 more than him, where only 26.5% of shots on target went in. Had Ryan Allsop had similar stats to Johannson for shots on target that were goals, he'd have conceded 15 fewer than he did. While that's taking it to the other extreme, the inescapable conclusion is that we were sound enough defensively to limit sides to a quite low number of attempts on target, but had a goalkeeper who was one of the poorest in the division at keeping those efforts out.

You really are on a crusade against Alsop arent you. His goals conceded record is actually good
    I think we've established that it isn't.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with him and if we released him, other Championship (or higher) teams would be queuing up to get him.
    You surely don't believe this?

International

Just watch them play, Allsop makes no saves and gets the angles wrong and we conceded easy goals that are clearly down to the keeper.

Although we are conceding a lot, Alnwick is making some brilliant saves and making some look very easy due to getting his angles right, how the hell previous Managers picked Alsopp over Alnwick is beyond me, but then again two of them were inexperienced coaches so maybe that's it.