+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good article on the development of women's football in the UK

Good article on the development of women's football in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66533140

I had no idea women's football had been outlawed in this country during my lifetime. I was amazed at that, but no doubt it still would be if some of the dinosaurs on this board had their way.

Re: Good article on the development of women's football in the UK

Women's football has never been outlawed. The FA ban was for the use of pitches registered with the FA for playing women's football.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Women's football has never been outlawed. The FA ban was for the use of pitches registered with the FA for playing women's football.
    Righto. So not outlawed. Just banned from playing on football pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Righto. So not outlawed. Just banned from playing on football pitches.

Yes, banned from playing on pitches registered with the FA.
    What surprises me more about this subject is that nobody could be bothered to set up a women's football organisation and arrange their own pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66533140

I had no idea women's football had been outlawed in this country during my lifetime. I was amazed at that, but no doubt it still would be if some of the dinosaurs on this board had their way.
    I think you have read/written about city in the 1920s?

Has the women's game never come up in that?

This a good read. A woman from hopkinstown. Basically during WW1 and between 1917 and 1921 women's crowds were around 55k charity games, the FA were intimidated by its popularity so banned it.

https://www.footballandthefirstworld...rst-world-war/

What surprises me more about this subject is that nobody could be bothered to set up a women's football organisation and arrange their own pitches.
    Yes because women should know their place! How dare they be allowed to play on FA pitches. WTAF is wrong with some men.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Yes because women should know their place! How dare they be allowed to play on FA pitches. WTAF is wrong with some men.
    So are you suggesting that women's football couldn't properly organise itself because those involved in it "knew their place"?

Women will never have as much skill as men playing football - their feet are too small; an evolutionary trait from standing so close to the kitchen sink.

So are you suggesting that women's football couldn't properly organise itself because those involved in it "knew their place"?
    No I’m suggesting that you’re a misogynist.

Why should they have had to?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I give up on men like that Bob. Imagine how they treat their wives/girlfriends, daughters/nieces. Mind I’d be surprised if any female gave them the time of day.

They shouldn't have had to organise themselves, but why didn't they? This is the research that is "missing" from the journos efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    No I’m suggesting that you’re a misogynist.
    WOW! I suggest you give your reading glasses a clean and engage your brain.

Come on Bob, it was announced 100 years ago. I dare say much has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Come on Bob, it was announced 100 years ago. I dare say much has changed.
    Announced a hundred years ago and it took fifty years to be rescinded, so in many of our lifetime’s on here, women’s football was effectively banned. I was going to say that it’s staggering that such attitudes existed in the world’s biggest sport so recently, but, on second thoughts, you only have to read some of the stuff in this thread to realise that it’s not that surprising at all.

They shouldn't have had to organise themselves, but why didn't they? This is the research that is "missing" from the journos efforts.
    Do you think there was no women’s football played between the early twenties and 1972? I’ve not read the article referred to in the OP, but I believe that’s when an England v Scotland game was played under the FA’s auspices. How would the people who selected the teams know who to pick if there hadn’t been women willing to do the sort of things you, seemingly, believe they weren’t?

The point is that they shouldn’t have been ostracised, yet there were still those willing to make a stand.

Let’s not forget either that at the time it was banned, Women’s football was very popular with huge crowds watching matches, so the but it was a hundred years ago, what do you expect argument doesn’t really hold water.

Football was as good as banned in many comprehensive schools in Wales let alone womens football.

It must be time for the Dick Kerr's Ladies Football Club photos:

Dick Kerr Ladies 1.jpg

Dick Kerr Ladies 2.jpg

Dick Kerr Ladies 3.jpg

Dick Kerr Ladies 4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Football was as good as banned in many comprehensive schools in Wales let alone womens football.
    I went to Bassaleg, a Grammar School back then. At an open evening for parents of new pupils, one dad asked if his son would get any football coaching as he was showing promise (probably the dad's wishful thinking).
    The head replied "No, this is a Grammar School, we play Rugby here!"

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I went to Bassaleg, a Grammar School back then. At an open evening for parents of new pupils, one dad asked if his son would get any football coaching as he was showing promise (probably the dad's wishful thinking).
    The head replied "No, this is a Grammar School, we play Rugby here!"
    The Catholic schools in Cardiff were big on Rugby as well, **** knows why. I didn't mind it as i was playing loads of football outside of school, although it must have been a real pisser for those kids who couldn't get a game and who wanted an hour or so a week playing football. Rugby isn't as inclusive as football, it's quite aggressive and full contact. Loads of kids in my school were left out of P.E because other sports weren't catered for.