+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUMMER TAVERN, part 2

International

Re: RUMMER TAVERN, part 2

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Used to get in there all the time in the eighties and nineties, but, for the life of me, I can’t remember what the beer was (I mean beer, never much liked lager). Think it might have been Worthy best, but I might well be wrong (does Worthington Best Bitter still exist?).
    Worthington smooth!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No it hasn’t! Was Hallinans in the 50’s/60’s.
    My father drank there in the 50/60s, (as well as other places) and whatever it was called he still called it the Rummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    A couple more decent Ales would be a good addition. Maybe an IPA or Abbot. Morretti is nice mind, but I'd have Doom bar for now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A couple more decent Ales would be a good addition. Maybe an IPA or Abbot. Morretti is nice mind, but I'd have Doom bar for now.
    far too many IPAs about these days, and 90% of them are shit. trendy microbrewers who don't know how to brew a nice tasting pint so they just Wang in a shit load of citrus hops until it just tastes like grapefruit juice

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I went there in the early 60’s and it was known and named as Hallinans. Was there for my 18th on 22 nd November 1963. We all know know what happened that day.
    Ex City winger Matthew Kennedy was born?

Ah, nothing worth the walk from Central then. Having said that Mad Dog is close by.

I was ready to puke until I got to Doom Bar.

JohnSmiths?? A testament to advertising - it tastes like pi$$

I've been teetotal something circa 13 years since last drinking in the Rummer which I used to regularly- do they do any Kombucha or Yerba Mate these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    far too many IPAs about these days, and 90% of them are shit. trendy microbrewers who don't know how to brew a nice tasting pint so they just Wang in a shit load of citrus hops until it just tastes like grapefruit juice
    ALL American IPAs taste like that. I can barely make it through one pint of most of them. And I've yet to come across one that's cask conditioned. I can remember enjoying quite a few smooth IPAs back in the UK and the taste of the extra hops was barely noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    ALL American IPAs taste like that. I can barely make it through one pint of most of them. And I've yet to come across one that's cask conditioned. I can remember enjoying quite a few smooth IPAs back in the UK and the taste of the extra hops was barely noticeable.
    yeah the trend for it definitely started in the states as far as I can see but it's over here big time now and I hate it.

Over the years, several staff and customers have reported seeing or experiencing ghostly presences in the Rummer Tavern. Most often in the toilets and the cellar. It is said that a jealous sailor died in the building shortly after finding his wife in bed with another man. He continues to haunt the tavern to this day. How he died is not documented, so was it murder, suicide, a broken heart or Worthy Creamflow that killed him?

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    what would you like then dear?

The bummer?

The thumb up the rummer?

The Rimmer and Rummer?
    Whatever turns you on, how about the Bluebird Bar, and make it all about football even when City isn't playing, show other games, and no football sports in general?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Whatever turns you on, how about the Bluebird Bar, and make it all about football even when City isn't playing, show other games, and no football sports in general?
    The Bluebird bar would be something you might expect to stumble upon in Benidorm.
    The Rummer Tavern is one of the oldest bars in Cardiff, to change its name would be a terrible mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Cask ales are almost unique to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The Bluebird bar would be something you might expect to stumble upon in Benidorm.
    The Rummer Tavern is one of the oldest bars in Cardiff, to change its name would be a terrible mistake.
    Fortunately not one the current owners seem to be likely to make.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Would have thought something nearer the ground would be better...imo

Would have thought something nearer the ground would be better...imo
    I've always thought it would be nice for ccfc to have more of a visible presence in the city centre, although not a fan of the name change

I've always thought it would be nice for ccfc to have more of a visible presence in the city centre, although not a fan of the name change
    I'm not so sure . if i was in any other city center i would avoid their club's pub like the plague. Meaning it wouldn't attract tourists.

International

Depends on who they are trying to attract really, The City Centre Sports Bar or something?

I'm not so sure . if i was in any other city center i would avoid their club's pub like the plague. Meaning it wouldn't attract tourists.
    not necessarily a pub, but some indication that a football team exists in the city would be nice

not necessarily a pub, but some indication that a football team exists in the city would be nice
    A hint would be nice with a nod to the history of Cardiff and club. Sounds good

The City Social was in Cathays, a club founded by City fans. Gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    £4 a pint in town before the game???? Need to drop their prices to match other popular City watering holes, The Central Bar, The Borough, The Queen’s Vaults even the new Temple Bar pub provide a cheaper pint of bitter, Guinness & Strongbow. Live Lounge also. Daytime town drinkers vote with what’s in their pocket. Sell it at a competitive price or folk will walk out, as they did before the QPR game.
    How can you moan about £4 a pint in the centre of town

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    How can you moan about £4 a pint in the centre of town
    I'vejust been in London for a coupe o days. £6 a pint is cheap up there.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I'vejust been in London for a coupe o days. £6 a pint is cheap up there.
    You only have to go 50 yards*up the road for £6 a pint in Elevens as well