+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Queen

Queen

Yes I know she dies...This is Freddy Mercury group Queen.

New album classic Queen collection omits “Fat Bottomed Girls”. This was reportedly because the lyrics are considered too “raunchy”, and the title could cause offence to sensitive souls with a bigger than average bum.

diddums...god the world is going mad...

Re: Queen

That sounds like a story intended to get certain people talking about an album that absolutely no one would be talking about otherwise.

The real story is even more mundane. It's on a kids audio player.

https://www.insider.com/queen-fat-bo...plained-2023-8

Average age of listeners: 5 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

New album classic Queen collection omits “Fat Bottomed Girls”. This was reportedly because the lyrics are considered too “raunchy”, and the title could cause offence to sensitive souls with a bigger than average bum.

I thought you meant the world was going mad because Queen albums are still being released. Before anyone starts, I know it’s me and my probable music blind spot, but I’ve genuinely never understood what all of the fuss was about.

The daily mail version of this massive news doesn't mention that it's for pre schoolers, but instead says "young people".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ollection.html

But it's woke gone mad and outrageous, according to the mail.

Great rock band in their prime

And Fat Bottomed Girls is a great song with very powerful backing vocals

But they turned into a bunch of ponces

A kind of magic?

Turn that crap off

I bought Queen's first album after they appeared on John Peel's radio show but they became such a panto act. Very blousey with many ditties akin to football chants. Yuck.

By the way, as a council employee, I was paid to be a steward at their gig with 10cc at the castle. If my memory serves me rightly, alcohol was banned for the punters whereas my duty was to schlepp booze up to the city fathers whiling away the time in raised portakabins (and was rewarded with a drop myself).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought you meant the world was going mad because Queen albums are still being released. Before anyone starts, I know it’s me and my probable music blind spot, but I’ve genuinely never understood what all of the fuss was about.
    Have to add that I am NOT a Queen fan..never liked them...don't own their music....it is just the subversion that irritates me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fair doos, you have always remained consistent regarding Queen, I'm not a big fan but did like some of their stuff, Brighton Rock on the live Killers album being my favourite tune of theirs and they did steal the show at the worlds greatest (IMO) ever gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Fair doos, you have always remained consistent regarding Queen, I'm not a big fan but did like some of their stuff, Brighton Rock on the live Killers album being my favourite tune of theirs and they did steal the show at the worlds greatest (IMO) ever gig.
    Yes, I think their career moved up a level or two after Live Aid - they were kind of UEFA Conference before it and Champions League afterwards.

Never liked them at all. I'm a rock fan pure and simple and they ain't no rock band. Each to their own; I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

I'm not a Queen fan, and I see that the real story is about lyrics for 5 year olds, but I don't approve of changing songs, books, or whatever to remove difficult or offensive words.

Bowdlerism works all ways, and never for the better. Censorship should never be done easily. There is sometimes justification, but usually not!

If there is a real problem with certain songs/books for certain audiences (age or something else) just don't use the words or the source material. Avoid it. Use something else. Don't butcher the original to fit a particular, sometimes transient, set of sensitivities.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not a Queen fan, and I see that the real story is about lyrics for 5 year olds, but I don't approve of changing songs, books, or whatever to remove difficult or offensive words.

Bowdlerism works all ways, and never for the better. Censorship should never be done easily. There is sometimes justification, but usually not!

If there is a real problem with certain songs/books for certain audiences (age or something else) just don't use the words or the source material. Avoid it. Use something else. Don't butcher the original to fit a particular, sometimes transient, set of sensitivities.
    Some things that are ok for adults aren't suitable for younger children. Hasn't it always been this way?

This is just a story attempting, and clearly succeeding, in creating outrage where there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Past musicians and bands to be renamed:

Clinically Obese Domino
    Undernourished Whitman
    The 5 Visually Impaired CIS-gender males of Alabama
    Slightly Overweight Checker
    Underweight Lizzy

Fantastic drunk music. Like Grease.

U2 and ABBA are the real problems

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Never liked them at all. I'm a rock fan pure and simple and they ain't no rock band. Each to their own; I'm sure I'm in the minority.
    Their first few albums were very powerful hard rock

If you like led zep , cream , free etc then around 1975 Queen were right up there .....powerful vocals , stripped down guitars

Dreadful once they became commercial though

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

If you like led zep , cream , free etc then around 1975 Queen were right up there .....powerful vocals , stripped down guitars

I loved Zep, Cream, Free, Argent, Golden Earring, AC DC, Whitesnake etc etc but Queen paled into insignificance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The Queen live killer's album is a very good album IMO, I still have a vinyl copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I loved Zep, Cream, Free, Argent, Golden Earring, AC DC, Whitesnake etc etc but Queen paled into insignificance for me.
    You are entitled to your own particular preferences but the history books show that in the rock music circle , early Queen were one of the big players

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    The Queen live killer's album is a very good album IMO, I still have a vinyl copy.
    Great backing band for Freddie