+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

International

Re: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I read somewhere the other day that bus and coach companies will have significantly increased maintenance costs because the gearing systems on those vehicles aren't designed for a top speed of 20 mph.
    Yes and cut the number of buses because they can't move around quickly enough.

I don't see a problem with 20mph in estate roads, or around schools.
    But Newport Road? other "artery" roads? Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Exactly this.

It's not a blanket 20mph speed limit. Not even all 30mph roads are dropping to 20mph so I take issue with this misinformation.

I do object to artery roads being lowered apart the parts that pass by schools, care homes and other higher risk areas.

Residents have the right to petition their local Council to have roads left at or reinstated to 30mph. The problem with that approach is when my Council sought views those who wanted more artery roads dropped to 20mph made the most noise and more roads dropped to 20mph.

But was it the default speed limit on all roads?
    pretty much the same as here, main through roads were not 20, residential areas were

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't drive in Cardiff often but wanted to go to Ikea and thought I'd see what it's like driving through constant 20mph zones as far as Upper Boat, so went through Canton, Radyr and Taffs Well, before hitting the A470.

I encountered one car going through Radyr at around 17 mph. If someone doing 27 in a 30 zone is a tad frustrating, 17 in a 20 zone is infinitely worse.

After a while, because I was driving so slowly, my mind was wandering as I didn't feel I needed as much concentration on the road. I started looking at other things as I was driving, something I wouldn't really do at 30. Will driving more slowly cause drivers to lose concentration? I wonder.

At one point I had a slight battle with 2 cyclists, both of which were doing roughly the same speed as me, but out of habit, I wanted to get past them. They had a small cycle lane, so it wasn't as if I was trying to overtake on the other side of the road, but seeing them overtake me at times was more than a bit disconcerting. Drivers will have to be more vigilant of cyclists going faster on the nearside.

I also found that it felt more exhausting trying to stick to 20mph going along long sections of road.

I might be wrong, but I fear this new 20mph limit will cause more accidents as drivers, pedestrians and cyclists get used to it. It'll make some drivers more impatient and make more risks in a bid to get somewhere. It'll mean more cars on our roads as it'll take everyone longer to get somewhere.
    Ultimately a car is something that can kill you.

Driving a car should be a real responsibility.

Impatience at 27 mph , looking at other things at 20 battling with cyclists.

Not good.

If you went to say the police and asked them to put this through as an argument I think they are far more likely to take you off the road. 🤣🤣🤣

Saying that I see all the points you make being something plenty of others will do. Its really just bad driving though.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I do object to artery roads being lowered apart the parts that pass by schools, care homes and other higher risk areas.
    They tried this where I lived in Poland (30kmh) and it became far more dangerous, those who kept to the previous speed limit continued to comply but it noticeably led to a lot more overtaking, especially on zebra crossings. They had to add large speed bumps in as a result. In my 2 mile journey to work, I had to go over 8 bumps each way.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    They tried this where I lived in Poland (30kmh) and it became far more dangerous, those who kept to the previous speed limit continued to comply but it noticeably led to a lot more overtaking, especially on zebra crossings. They had to add large speed bumps in as a result. In my 2 mile journey to work, I had to go over 8 bumps each way.
    Ive seen plenty of overtaking in 20s already. Seriously dangerous. It should be backed up by average speed cameras.

The old road from Treharris to Merthyr is virtually all covered by cameras. Everyone has to stick to the limit.

Without it we are going to see seriously poor and dangerous driving by a significant minority.

Living in North Cardiff I have come to accept its use sadly it creates other behaviours when folk get onto a larger stretch of road they immediately push onto higher speeds .

There's a lot written about its benefit to the environment and road casualties but no real impact proof.

Reduced speeds can cause excessive engine idling which in my humble view creates as much harmful chemicals, gases and particle pollution, I think the 50mph Newport limit is barmy .

20 mph through heavily built up areas like Ely is a good thing for the elderly, disabled and children .

Sadly a lot of road causilties are in deprived areas according to one report I read, suggesting care for others is not always a number one priority for some ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sadly a lot of road causilties are in deprived areas according to one report I read, suggesting care for others is not always a number one priority for some ?
    I think thats a fair comment. Care for others not being the no.1 priority. So many impatient , reckless and bad drivers on the road.

Ill be out today and I guarantee I will see more than 1 tw@t with a mobile to their ear.

Living in North Cardiff I have come to accept its use sadly it creates other behaviours when folk get onto a larger stretch of road they immediately push onto higher speeds .

There's a lot written about its benefit to the environment and road casualties but no real impact proof.

Reduced speeds can cause excessive engine idling which in my humble view creates as much harmful chemicals, gases and particle pollution, I think the 50mph Newport limit is barmy .

20 mph through heavily built up areas like Ely is a good thing for the elderly, disabled and children .

why on your view does reduced speed Create harmful chemicals and particles?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    pretty much the same as here, main through roads were not 20, residential areas were
    It won't be like that here in a few weeks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't drive in Cardiff often but wanted to go to Ikea and thought I'd see what it's like driving through constant 20mph zones as far as Upper Boat, so went through Canton, Radyr and Taffs Well, before hitting the A470.

I encountered one car going through Radyr at around 17 mph. If someone doing 27 in a 30 zone is a tad frustrating, 17 in a 20 zone is infinitely worse.

After a while, because I was driving so slowly, my mind was wandering as I didn't feel I needed as much concentration on the road. I started looking at other things as I was driving, something I wouldn't really do at 30. Will driving more slowly cause drivers to lose concentration? I wonder.

At one point I had a slight battle with 2 cyclists, both of which were doing roughly the same speed as me, but out of habit, I wanted to get past them. They had a small cycle lane, so it wasn't as if I was trying to overtake on the other side of the road, but seeing them overtake me at times was more than a bit disconcerting. Drivers will have to be more vigilant of cyclists going faster on the nearside.

I also found that it felt more exhausting trying to stick to 20mph going along long sections of road.

I might be wrong, but I fear this new 20mph limit will cause more accidents as drivers, pedestrians and cyclists get used to it. It'll make some drivers more impatient and make more risks in a bid to get somewhere. It'll mean more cars on our roads as it'll take everyone longer to get somewhere.
    What did your mind start to wander about?

Whether we had more corners between 1973 and 1977 in the opening games than we had between 2019 and 2023?

It won't be like that here in a few weeks though.
    yes it will you mentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    What did your mind start to wander about?

Whether we had more corners between 1973 and 1977 in the opening games than we had between 2019 and 2023?
    No. That's for the laptop on the dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Newport Rd, Cowbridge Rd, Manor Way, Western Avenue, Llantrisant Rd are 30mph aren’t they?

yes it will you mentalist
    The only roads in Cardiff proposed by the council to stay at 30 mph are Manor Way, North Road, Eastern Avenue and Western Avenue at the Gabalfa roundabout, Llantrisant Road, Cowbridge Road, and Newport Road. Everywhere else will be 20 mph.

As regard the 50 mph at Malpas you should go through Port Talbot, 50 mph there and signs along the route stating “Air Pollution Kills”, they obviously have discounted the Steel Works!

The only roads in Cardiff proposed by the council to stay at 30 mph are Manor Way, North Road, Eastern Avenue and Western Avenue at the Gabalfa roundabout, Llantrisant Road, Cowbridge Road, and Newport Road. Everywhere else will be 20 mph.
    so most of the main routes aren't affected

so most of the main routes aren't affected
    They've all had their limits reduced to 30 over the years to be fair. Not affected by the 20 limit, but as Cardiff has expanded so have the 30 limits.

I live in Abergavenny where the default limit was set to 20 about.a year ago. For the vast majority of drivers, I don’t think their driving habits have changed, i.e. weren’t sticking to the speed limit before and they’re still not. So, I’m not really sure what all the fuss is about.

must be more important things to make petitions about...

I bought a new car 2 weeks ago, and for the 1st time in 40yrs driving decided to go for an automatic. Ideal in my opinion for driving around the city at 20 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    As regard the 50 mph at Malpas you should go through Port Talbot, 50 mph there and signs along the route stating “Air Pollution Kills”, they obviously have discounted the Steel Works!
    My understanding is that it was set at 50 through Port Talbot to reduce road noise. It does get very close to some houses.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I bought a new car 2 weeks ago, and for the 1st time in 40yrs driving decided to go for an automatic. Ideal in my opinion for driving around the city at 20 mph.
    Winner. Bought a car to "ideally" drive at 20. You could have bought a large tortoise and bombed around the city doing 22