+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Re: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Winner. Bought a car to "ideally" drive at 20. You could have bought a large tortoise and bombed around the city doing 22
    Whether we like it or not, this 20mph gig is here to stay..This petition on the go, will have the same effect on halting it, as would having a handbrake on a canoe.

Imagine the uproar if they made speed limiters mandatory? Can’t wait for that one. And then 10-20 years from then we’ll be saying ‘can’t believe we used to let people loose in their cars and drive whatever speed they liked’.

36 million and counting to pay for this ?

Does it actually save lives ?

Would 36 million direct into NHS save more lives?

Time critical service providers like Care Workers delayed on route to work ??

Extra time costs associated to someone getting to you

More young people die from suicide than road casualties ,let's fund that , and drug abuse ,social services etc etc .

As I say 20mph is fine , but not at the cost of real lives and services .

It's vanity flag waving ' look at us politics' diverting attention away from underperformance in Health ,Education, Social Care , transport infrastructure .

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

More young people die from suicide than road casualties ,let's fund that , and drug abuse ,social services etc etc .

It's vanity flag waving ' look at us politics' diverting attention away from underperformance in Health ,Education, Social Care , transport infrastructure .
    Exactly I'm a Labour leader look at me I do things differently, it doesn't matter if it's stupid, it doesn't matter if it's ineffective, it doesn't matter that it affects the poorer population more, look at me! Khan and Drakford.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The only roads in Cardiff proposed by the council to stay at 30 mph are Manor Way, North Road, Eastern Avenue and Western Avenue at the Gabalfa roundabout, Llantrisant Road, Cowbridge Road, and Newport Road. Everywhere else will be 20 mph.
    40 mph roads all day long.

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I bought a new car 2 weeks ago, and for the 1st time in 40yrs driving decided to go for an automatic. Ideal in my opinion for driving around the city at 20 mph.
    I've got Auto which is much better for low speeds and cruise control, we are changing the Mrs for auto petrol, diesel will get hammered with the ULEZ Wales soon and the DPFs will clog like shit with the low speeds.

When you dig down on road deaths the biggest cause is drugs and alcohol amongst the young , the trouble we have grasping that is more difficult, putting up road signs is simple

When you dig down on road deaths the biggest cause is drugs and alcohol amongst the young , the trouble we have grasping that is more difficult, putting up road signs is simple
    reducing to 20 will save lives, it isn't either / or, you can try to do both

Yes, it does save lives, and it will also reduce the amount and severity of injuries, thereby removing the need for the NHS to spend money on dealing with those injuries, which could be £36M or a whole lot more.

I can't see how a minute or so delay would affect care workers hugely or why you're unable to comprehend that multiple things could be funded at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Exactly I'm a Labour leader look at me I do things differently
    Thank fook he doesn't do everything the same as the arseholes in Westminster.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    reducing to 20 will save lives, it isn't either / or, you can try to do both
    I think it's so slow people will use the slow speed to check their emails and Insta leading to more eyes off the road and more deaths.

International

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5449706]Thank fook he doesn't do everything the same as the arseholes in Westminster.[/QUOTE

Make your mind up, you've been saying it's daft, and now it's dawned on you that Drakeford has done it, Westminister are wrong having normal speeds

Now Drakeford has been linked watch people desperate to defend the undefendable!

International

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Yes, it does save lives, and it will also reduce the amount and severity of injuries, thereby removing the need for the NHS to spend money on dealing with those injuries, which could be £36M or a whole lot more.

I can't see how a minute or so delay would affect care workers hugely or why you're unable to comprehend that multiple things could be funded at the same time.

You can't possibly believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thank fook he doesn't do everything the same as the arseholes in Westminster.

Make your mind up, you've been saying it's daft, and now it's dawned on you that Drakeford has done it, Westminister are wrong having normal speeds

Now Drakeford has been linked watch people desperate to defend the undefendable!
    Of course I think it's a daft policy. It's not down to Mark Drakeford, either, but Welsh Labour and virtually an entire Senedd who voted for it, including Tory AMs.

However, there will be issues where Wales needs different legislation and rules than England. That's why I support devolution. This one policy hasn't made me think twice about whether Wales can make up its own mind about issues or not and I bet it's not made any difference to the vast majority. Andrew Davies has suggested he'd reverse the 20mph roll out if he was in power. Made no difference to his or his party's popularity (or lack of).

You clearly object so much to devolution, virtually every decision from the Senedd you detest, I suspect it's because the party you worship aren't in power here. Ever thought of moving over the bridge? You'd be far happier.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Of course I think it's a daft policy. It's not down to Mark Drakeford, either, but Welsh Labour and virtually an entire Senedd who voted for it, including Tory AMs.

However, there will be issues where Wales needs different legislation and rules than England. That's why I support devolution. This one policy hasn't made me think twice about whether Wales can make up its own mind about issues or not and I bet it's not made any difference to the vast majority. Andrew Davies has suggested he'd reverse the 20mph roll out if he was in power. Made no difference to his or his party's popularity (or lack of).

You clearly object so much to devolution, virtually every decision from the Senedd you detest, I suspect it's because the party you worship isn't in power here. Ever thought of moving over the bridge? You'd be far happier.
    I think all the decisions are terrible, simply that! I can't think of one decision they have made that makes sense and is money well spent. Andrew Davies is an absolute joke, if he would change the speed back to thirty that is a good idea but I wouldn't trust him to run a bath either. We don't have any competent politicians that you could trust to run Wales, so I am dead against giving power to totally incompetent people.

I would much rather Starmer run Wales from Westminster than Drakeford, he doesn't make stupid decisions just to be different and he's not power crazy, he's fairly logical and measured.

International

Tailgate at twenty
    You don’t think it’s possible to tailgate someone at 20?

I’d imagine care
    Workers on route to work just have to be there on time like most people and leave 1 minute sooner?

International

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    You don’t think it’s possible to tailgate someone at 20?
    Yes, a skateboarder or someone walking their dog, but it's not really an issue, is it?

Tailgating is a problem at 70 plus on the motorway, but most people who moan about them are the problem blocking the outside/middle lane deliberately and not pulling over.

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I bought a new car 2 weeks ago, and for the 1st time in 40yrs driving decided to go for an automatic. Ideal in my opinion for driving around the city at 20 mph.
    I drive an auto and the cruise control won't even function until the car is registering 21/22 MPH, but that OK because with the speedo error that' s 20. The problem is that other people drive around anxious not to break the speed limit and they drive at about 16 mph on their speedo which means they are actually doing about 14 so I have to keep braking. Every time I brake the cruise control falls out. It is not designed to be on-off-on and doing it wastes more fuel and the need to accelerate waste even more, so its costing me more money and damaging my car.

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I drive an auto and the cruise control won't even function until the car is registering 21/22 MPH, but that OK because with the speedo error that' s 20. The problem is that other people drive around anxious not to break the speed limit and they drive at about 16 mph on their speedo which means they are actually doing about 14 so I have to keep braking. Every time I brake the cruise control falls out. It is not designed to be on-off-on and doing it wastes more fuel and the need to accelerate waste even more, so its costing me more money and damaging my car.
    Exactly because it's a stupid ill-thought-out idea, there are people doing 14mph by the speed cameras on north road and Weston Ave, they don't realise it's thirty!

It sounds like you might be one of those naughty tailgaiters at 13.9mph

Exactly because it's a stupid ill-thought-out idea, there are people doing 14mph by the speed cameras on north road and Weston Ave, they don't realise it's thirty!

It sounds like you might be one of those naughty tailgaiters at 13.9mph
    Weston Avenue is a small side street in Llanrumney, packed with parked cars, so slow driving is understandable

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Weston Avenue is a small side street in Llanrumney, packed with parked cars, so slow driving is understandable
    He's had a Weston there.

Yes, a skateboarder or someone walking their dog, but it's not really an issue, is it?

Tailgating is a problem at 70 plus on the motorway, but most people who moan about them are the problem blocking the outside/middle lane deliberately and not pulling over.
    Yeah it’s an issue, if someone goes into the back of me because they’re stuck to my bumper, whether it’s at 20 or 30. I don’t drive a shit car so won’t be impressed once someone’s inevitably wedged into my boot

There’s a main road above me which used to be 30. I’m torn on the whole thing because people used to fly up there and my son crosses the road for the school bus. So at that time of day, I’m glad it’s 20, because at least most people are doing <30 rather than 40.

But then the majority of the day, it feels way too slow. They regularly have speed camera vans, and you’ve got dickheads who actually seem like they want to be on your roof and I’ve even had some people take over. The ones who don’t know there are regular cameras no doubt

The real answer is probably that every stretch of road is different and this one of mine should be variable speed limits. But unfortunately that seems too sensible so if they want to go all out on 20 then I’d rather they did it with average speed checks

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ha ha true and there is probably one in Weston too!