+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

International

Re: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I haven't seen that many covered over 20mph signs in my neck of the woods.
    As the actress said to the bishop
    Suck it and see..
    What do they need 20 MPH signs for? If its a built up area as defined by the frequency of lampposts then the speed limit will automatically be 20. They will need signs to tell you when the speed limit is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I thought most old tories thought it was undemocratic to have another vote

What is it about Tories that they have to give Drakeford a childish nickname all of the time?

International

I thought most old tories thought it was undemocratic to have another vote
    Yes it is for the public votes, MP's do it all the time.

Let's do a once in a lifetime welsh referendum, or UK-wide 20mph the normal minimum except for around schools, etc or 30mph.

I will abide by the decision which would be 30mph and not try and change it the same as last time

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What do they need 20 MPH signs for? If its a built up area as defined by the frequency of lampposts then the speed limit will automatically be 20. They will need signs to tell you when the speed limit is higher.
    There is actually going to be chaos if this needs be asked!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes it is for the public votes, MP's do it all the time.

Let's do a once in a lifetime welsh referendum, or UK-wide 20mph the normal minimum except for around schools, etc or 30mph.

I will abide by the decision which would be 30mph and not try and change it the same as last time
    Yes I see on Twitter that a. retweet has the big red bus back out, why not. (I actually thought the bus post must have been a parody but it seems not)
    I’m sure the general public will assess all of the available information and come to the right decision.
    It may also be a good idea to have referendums for other decisions like tax rises and so on

Yes I see on Twitter that a. retweet has the big red bus back out, why not. (I actually thought the bus post must have been a parody but it seems not)
    I’m sure the general public will assess all of the available information and come to the right decision.
    It may also be a good idea to have referendums for other decisions like tax rises and so on
    "Lets spend the extra on the NHS"
    🤣🤣🤣

With Tory loon arty with a 30s plenty sign.

Motion passed in the Senedd which will give local communities greater say over speed limits in their area. I see this as a good thing in general. Local people will have more power to overturn 20mph speed limits if it is seen fit to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Motion passed in the Senedd which will give local communities greater say over speed limits in their area. I see this as a good thing in general. Local people will have more power to overturn 20mph speed limits if it is seen fit to do so.
    News travels quickly. There's some bloke stood outside his house in 'North Cardiff' with a sign saying '70 is the new 30'

It will be the ‘20mph outside my house and 50 outside anyone else’s ‘ brigade.

I dont think ive seen one road sign change from 30 to 20 anywhere in the Cynon Valley and fairly certain no change from Maerdy to Porth either.

Unless theres a big operation of changing signs in the next few days I cant see much change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It will be the ‘20mph outside my house and 50 outside anyone else’s ‘ brigade.
    That's it. Lots of people will be against 20mph speed limits except those past their front door.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I dont think ive seen one road sign change from 30 to 20 anywhere in the Cynon Valley and fairly certain no change from Maerdy to Porth either.

Unless theres a big operation of changing signs in the next few days I cant see much change.
    They will. There has been a lot of new speed signs installed recently. I wonder if the ones that say 30 that will be reduced are just stickers waiting to be peeled off or something.

International

They don't need to change the signs to 20 inside town and cities, it will be 20 by default. The only place you will see 20 is when entering a built up area, and 30 or more if a road is exempt.

International

They must have been concerned about a backlash and losing votes, so came up with a half-cocked version. It's going to be better for some area/s but as people have already pointed out, the areas in the trial have been 20 for months, and people in those streets will not to accept cars going faster past their houses again now.

So some lucky people with normal speed limits and some with 20 because of a stupid trail that no one wanted, and it will cause confusion, as you won't know which area has decided what.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    They don't need to change the signs to 20 inside town and cities, it will be 20 by default. The only place you will see 20 is when entering a built up area, and 30 or more if a road is exempt.
    Of course they have to change signs.

If your in a 30 on an exempt road at some point it changes to 20 there will have to be a sign. There are long stretches of road in both areas im talking about where it changes between 30 and 20. Residential areas as well. I havent seen any change.

If your in a 30 wherever it changes to 20 there will have to be a sign.

I'm pretty decent at using Excel, so I thought I'd have a look at the Welsh Government's own accident data from 2022. These are calculated from their own spreadsheet.

In areas where there's a 30mph speed limit:
    Accidents where there were fatalities - 1.3%
    Accidents where people were seriously injured - 18.7%
    Accidents where people were slightly injured - 80%

In areas where there's a 20mph speed limit:
    Accidents where there were fatalities - 1.4%
    Accidents where people were seriously injured - 28.8%
    Accidents where people were slightly injured - 68.8%

It might be interesting to note that 30mph speed limits had the highest percentage of people who were only slightly injured.

It should also be added that there were 2,100 accidents in 30mph speed limits compared with 139 in 20mph limits. What the data doesn't provide is the speed of the vehicle/s at the time of the accident. It would also be interesting to find out the ratio of 30mph and 20mph roads.

I agree - there will have to be a lot of frantic activity tomorrow if all these signs are to be renewed by Sunday morning!
    It won't happen.

There will be no excuse for anyone exceeding 20mph in built up areas, it's the "grey areas" on the edges that the greatest confusion will occur. I can foresee a cash-cow bonanza for cash-strapped councils in the coming months as there will be many examples of drivers inadvertently exceeding the limit in these outer areas as the old signs will still be in place and we are left to guess which ones are now 20mph (by counting the number of lamp posts etc). I always obey speed limits as long as I know what they are! I fear I may receive my first ever fine in my nearly 50 years of driving as I fall victim in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I agree - there will have to be a lot of frantic activity tomorrow if all these signs are to be renewed by Sunday morning!
    It won't happen.

There will be no excuse for anyone exceeding 20mph in built up areas, it's the "grey areas" on the edges that the greatest confusion will occur. I can foresee a cash-cow bonanza for cash-strapped councils in the coming months as there will be many examples of drivers inadvertently exceeding the limit in these outer areas as the old signs will still be in place and we are left to guess which ones are now 20mph (by counting the number of lamp posts etc). I always obey speed limits as long as I know what they are! I fear I may receive my first ever fine in my nearly 50 years of driving as I fall victim in the coming weeks.
    No cash cows at all. All speeding fines go to Westminster. Confirmed by a traffic copper on Radio 5 the other morning. Some think that speed vans are there to raise money for the police. All nonsense.

No cash cows at all. All speeding fines go to Westminster. Confirmed by a traffic copper on Radio 5 the other morning. Some think that speed vans are there to raise money for the police. All nonsense.
    OK, cash cow for H.M. treasury then. I bet our LA are gutted! In my 50 years of driving I haven't given them a penny in speeding fines but I fear that may change in the coming weeks especially if I drive into unfamiliar territory.

Of course they have to change signs.

If your in a 30 on an exempt road at some point it changes to 20 there will have to be a sign. There are long stretches of road in both areas im talking about where it changes between 30 and 20. Residential areas as well. I havent seen any change.

If your in a 30 wherever it changes to 20 there will have to be a sign.
    The fact there is a disagreement about this shows that the potential is there for widespread misunderstanding come the date of the change to 20 mph. I went for a short drive yesterday and noticed that a fairly major road had new 20 mph signs up - there's a school close by, so part of the road has always had 20 mph signs, but they have definitely been extended to include another seven or eight signs since I last used the road about a month ago. As it was pretty quiet at the time, I practiced driving at 20 mph and found that I wasn't having to check the speedo all of the time and my 995 cc car coped okay with being in second or third gear for most of the time.

Nowhere else on my drive showed 20 mph signs, so I drove as if it was a 30mph speed limit - whether this would lead to me being open to prosecution next week, I haven't a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The fact there is a disagreement about this shows that the potential is there for widespread misunderstanding come the date of the change to 20 mph. I went for a short drive yesterday and noticed that a fairly major road had new 20 mph signs up - there's a school close by, so part of the road has always had 20 mph signs, but they have definitely been extended to include another seven or eight signs since I last used the road about a month ago. As it was pretty quiet at the time, I practiced driving at 20 mph and found that I wasn't having to check he speedo all of the time and my 995 cc car coped okay with being in second or third gear for most of the time.

Nowhere else on my drive showed 20 mph signs, so I drove as if it was a 30mph speed limit - whether this would lead to me being open to prosecution next week, I haven't a clue.
    If you are prosecuted you'll be able to go on a speed awareness course. Ironic really because drivers are becoming more aware of their speed more than ever before.

I have now noticed a couple of 30mph signs on the back of 20mph signs removed. One a residential area which is leading to a 30mph rd. So I presume that road a busy road leading up from Aberdare Town to the bottom of Cwmdare hill is now 20. However entry to other parts still has 30 as of 2 days ago. Im out of the country the next few days so dont know if they will be changed in time. The area is covered in large parts by average speed cameras.

I have noticed one 30mph zone ends sign as well.

If the councils dont have clear signs there are going to be loads of signs and appeals.

for me its even about the actual impliment of the 20... its how they went about it

it was pretty well hidden in welsh labours 2019 manifesto pledge... yes thats right 2019, and everyone is up in arms about it now after it has all gone through and done, clever little 2 line sentence how come it has never been brought up before, or if it has not on this protest scale...

truth of the matter is the long run, we already have less roads, roads we all used to drive along are now bus or cycle lanes, you dare drift into a bus lane ffs, fine in the post, and whole sections of town are now bus taxi and bike zones

new cycle laws mean you have next to no right of way now on the road when a pedestrian or cycle is involved, how many times have we all zipped passed a bike and turned left hurtling around the corner, and dont lie we have all done, and in many cases with no indication... i have and you have broken the law, in an attempt to bring back courtesy... yes courtesy remember that what our great grans and granmas taught us lol... whats a grandma now 30 and a great grandma 45 lol

what the manifesto also goes on to say is that under a uk led labour, so in all fairness thay are saying under a labour westminster gov they will introduce the nation wide great scrappage scheme... yes that old but gold car you love and cherish, its a piece of shit but its yours, you will be encouraged to scrap it... ive already thought ahead and sold my bmw 330ci which was 23 years old
    but yes a scrap plan for anything petro lor deisel run will be the menace.... i dont suppose for 1 min you can be forced to scrap, you may have a vintage car, something worth a lot of money, and lets face it alot of politicains do lol...
    but you will find that maybe your £200-£400 a year road tax may now be £2000! and not to mention your insurance, and strickter emission measures that you will hardly pass to be road worthy... it all sounds like a movie but its coming rest assured

and as i said under a supposed uk led labour... lets be honest we have all seen drakeford doing his own thing apart from westminster, and so my thought will be he will push for this regardless of tory or lab uk goverment he will do what he wants... just like in covid when he blocked off aisles and aisles of goods in stores, like birthdays cards, toys for kids and clothes!!!

the guys a nut job

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    for me its even about the actual impliment of the 20... its how they went about it

it was pretty well hidden in welsh labours 2019 manifesto pledge... yes thats right 2019, and everyone is up in arms about it now after it has all gone through and done, clever little 2 line sentence how come it has never been brought up before, or if it has not on this protest scale...

truth of the matter is the long run, we already have less roads, roads we all used to drive along are now bus or cycle lanes, you dare drift into a bus lane ffs, fine in the post, and whole sections of town are now bus taxi and bike zones

new cycle laws mean you have next to no right of way now on the road when a pedestrian or cycle is involved, how many times have we all zipped passed a bike and turned left hurtling around the corner, and dont lie we have all done, and in many cases with no indication... i have and you have broken the law, in an attempt to bring back courtesy... yes courtesy remember that what our great grans and granmas taught us lol... whats a grandma now 30 and a great grandma 45 lol

what the manifesto also goes on to say is that under a uk led labour, so in all fairness thay are saying under a labour westminster gov they will introduce the nation wide great scrappage scheme... yes that old but gold car you love and cherish, its a piece of shit but its yours, you will be encouraged to scrap it... ive already thought ahead and sold my bmw 330ci which was 23 years old
    but yes a scrap plan for anything petro lor deisel run will be the menace.... i dont suppose for 1 min you can be forced to scrap, you may have a vintage car, something worth a lot of money, and lets face it alot of politicains do lol...
    but you will find that maybe your £200-£400 a year road tax may now be £2000! and not to mention your insurance, and strickter emission measures that you will hardly pass to be road worthy... it all sounds like a movie but its coming rest assured

and as i said under a supposed uk led labour... lets be honest we have all seen drakeford doing his own thing apart from westminster, and so my thought will be he will push for this regardless of tory or lab uk goverment he will do what he wants... just like in covid when he blocked off aisles and aisles of goods in stores, like birthdays cards, toys for kids and clothes!!!

the guys a nut job
    If ever you commit a crime makes sure it’s nowhere near a bus lane , you will get a summons within 7 days , perhaps they should put bus lanes everywhere, crime would be cut down to almost nothing

International

We've had it for ages, it will change people's views when everyone gets it, it's more annoying than you can imagine, especially if you have a busy life and travel reasonable distances.

He's got away with this whats to stop him from setting dual carriageways to 30mph and motorways to 40mph, on the premise, more people die in crashes at 70mph than 40mph or even less if we have 30mph on motorways, still the mugs would vote for him.