+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brennan Johnson £50m !!

Brennan Johnson £50m !!

I honestly thought it was April 1st !! Not worth anywhere near that amount of money. Can’t believe Daniel Levy would even consider it. Unbelievable , for a player who hasn’t done an awful lot so far. Looks like it’s a sign of the times.

Re: Brennan Johnson £50m !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    I honestly thought it was April 1st !! Not worth anywhere near that amount of money. Can’t believe Daniel Levy would even consider it. Unbelievable , for a player who hasn’t done an awful lot so far. Looks like it’s a sign of the times.
    I've always thought he was overrated. Never in a million years is he worth £50m. I think Levy has lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I've always thought he was overrated.
    You make it sound like Johnson’s a veteran. He’s 22.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He’s definitely worth a dozen Gary madines though…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He’s definitely worth a dozen Gary madines though…..
    To put things in perspective, Johnson is almost exactly 12 months older than Ollie Tanner. Anyone buying him is obviously buying potential rather than anything he’s achieved so far, although he already has more than 150 first team appearances under his belt, not to mention 20 international caps.

I hope we hang on to 22 year old youngster McGuinness this window and aren’t swayed by a multi million pound bid.

I don't recall mentioning or alluding to his age. He's been a professional for 4 years by the way, long enough for me to form an opinion that he's worth nowhere near £50m.

World's gone mad , for a player loaned out in 2020/21 to the mighty Lincoln City where he played 40 games scoring 10 goals .

He may have played a lot of games and has International caps , in reality that's achievable from a half decent player with Forest ,Lincoln and Wales .

At 22 should he have achieved more by now on a bigger platform.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd not want to risk paying more than £25k .

Good luck to the lad, not totally convinced he's the next Bale or half a Bale .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    World's gone mad , for a player loaned out in 2020/21 to the mighty Lincoln City where he played 40 games scoring 10 goals .

He may have played a lot of games and has International caps , in reality that's achievable from a half decent player with Forest ,Lincoln and Wales .

We had a player who, by the age of 22 had made 153 appearances, none higher than League 1 standard. He scored 79 goals in those games.

To the end of last season, Johnson had made 1 more appearance, including 61 at Championship level and 44 in the top flight. He scored 42 goals, but most of those in the top two divisions.

The City player to which I refer made 310 appearances at Championship level or above, scoring 121 goals in those games. None of these were achieved by his 22nd birthday.

are you sure you mean 25k?

Not sure 25K gets you much nowadays

22 isn't over the hill for players nowadays. Clubs like Chelsea and Man City hoover up the young talent, and neither of them generally bloods teenagers. Foden is one of the youngest players to break through at Man City in recent years, and he was used sparingly as a teen - a quick look at his wikipedia says about 60 PL appearances by the time he was 21, and I'd guess a fair number were as sub. Harry Kane's breakout season was when he was 22.

I can't think of many recent Owen/Rooney type who have done notable things whilst young. There's Saka and Rashford, maybe.

Players can go well into their thirties now, so there's not the need to risk burning out at a young age knowing that your career is probably over at 32.

20 Mill, 50 Mill, 70 Mill, it makes no difference, its silly money that the clubs have no reality of

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

I can't think of many recent Owen/Rooney type who have done notable things whilst young. There's Saka and Rashford, maybe.
    Evan Ferguson is 18 and is starting for Brighton at a high level....and scores, assists quite regularly.

I don't recall mentioning or alluding to his age. He's been a professional for 4 years by the way, long enough for me to form an opinion that he's worth nowhere near £50m.
    I’m sure you were closely monitoring his loan spell at Lincoln in 20/21, during which he scored 13 goals, as you’ve always thought he was overrated.

And his 19 goals during his first full season at Forest as they earned promotion from the Championship don’t count for much. You’ve always thought he was overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    20 Mill, 50 Mill, 70 Mill, it makes no difference, its silly money that the clubs have no reality of
    Silly money that clubs have no reality of? That might make sense to LoM, but he’d probably be the only one.

Brennan Johnson is a fantastic player. 50 mil is a lot but in todays market it’s about right for a man who ripped up the championship and did well for Forest last season. He will excel at Spurs and that can only be good for Wales as he will be the no.1 man moving forward (arguably already is)

Silly money that clubs have no reality of? That might make sense to LoM, but he’d probably be the only one.
    we all know what it means, Big Clubs have lost sight of reality when spending money on players, 25 Mill, 50 Mill, its just numbers and means very little to them

Big Clubs have lost sight of reality when spending money on players
    So what’s the ‘reality’ they’ve allegedly lost sight of?

we all know what it means, Big Clubs have lost sight of reality when spending money on players, 25 Mill, 50 Mill, its just numbers and means very little to them
    What does a 15/20 goal striker cost them nowadays? A decent midfielder?

International

I've always thought he was overrated. Never in a million years is he worth £50m. I think Levy has lost the plot.
    Is he worth half a Declan Rice?

I doubt it but it's a gamble, with prices only going up, it could look like a bargain in five years' time, or one of the biggest waste of money buys ever?

I think Brentford wanted him didn't they, that would be a good sign they have a good analysis of players and get more right than wrong.

He’s a very good player, that’s why Chelsea, Spurs, Brentford, Atleti and others have been linked. He will get plenty of game time at Spurs with a good manager so it would be a sensible move for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He’s a very good player, that’s why Chelsea, Spurs, Brentford, Atleti and others have been linked. He will get plenty of game time at Spurs with a good manager so it would be a sensible move for him.
    This

As for the transfer fee agree ludicrous but didn't we say that about Trevor Francis in 1979 !

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Brennan Johnson is a fantastic player. 50 mil is a lot but in todays market it’s about right for a man who ripped up the championship and did well for Forest last season. He will excel at Spurs and that can only be good for Wales as he will be the no.1 man moving forward (arguably already is)
    Rob Page will keep playing Daniel James ahead of him though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Harry Hopkins still the Landlord?

Every season has been a step up and he's handled each one well, 8 goals and 3 assists in a relegation battling side at 21 is very good (the only 2 players his age to perform better were Arsenal's Saka and Martinelli). He's British so gets around registration rules and only just turned 22 so his best years are probably still about 5 years away. To put things in perspective at the same age Gareth Bale managed 7 goals and 2 assists for Spurs.

He has things to learn, but £50m is hardly outlandish, especially when you consider how much others have gone for.