+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubin Colwill

Rubin Colwill

I'm conflicted.

My feelings on Colwill on here are well versed. I think he takes unncessary risks and plays low % football. I also think he gets overhyped because he's homegrown and Welsh. However, because he's homegrown and Welsh I really want to see him do well and excel into the first name on our teamsheet. With the other youngsters Etete, Tanner, Davies and Evans I feel it's much easier to assess what they'd need to do to improve.

Looking at yesterday with the highlights (that's all I saw of the game so can't comment on his game overall), he did 2 little no look backheals, and something different that resulted in a goal for Wintle. If the one that played in Grant didn't come off, it would have left 5 stuck upfield with a counter attack for the other team. Fortunately it worked, and came off well. Whilst I don't want to see him losing the ball easily and taking risks that put us under pressure, I also don't want that confidence and creativity drilled out of him as when it works, it is a good watch.

He does seem to be still progressing and I only hope he carries on.

Re: Rubin Colwill

Technically gifted daddy long legs.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'm conflicted.

My feelings on Colwill on here are well versed. I think he takes unncessary risks and plays low % football. I also think he gets overhyped because he's homegrown and Welsh. However, because he's homegrown and Welsh I really want to see him do well and excel into the first name on our teamsheet. With the other youngsters Etete, Tanner, Davies and Evans I feel it's much easier to assess what they'd need to do to improve.

Looking at yesterday with the highlights (that's all I saw of the game so can't comment on his game overall), he did 2 little no look backheals, and something different that resulted in a goal for Wintle. If the one that played in Grant didn't come off, it would have left 5 stuck upfield with a counter attack for the other team. Fortunately it worked, and came off well. Whilst I don't want to see him losing the ball easily and taking risks that put us under pressure, I also don't want that confidence and creativity drilled out of him as when it works, it is a good watch.

He seems to lacks confidence on the pitch - but that changed when I saw him link up with Tanner in the last 2 home games

Give me the likes of Colwill over Rinomhota and Adams any day.

He’s young, he tries to do too much but he can produce magic. He walked past Dutch midfielders in the nations league. He’s scored some cracking goals and he’s got talent.

He needs to make better decisions, fill out a bit and be more consistent. He’s looked good under Bulut, having a coach that knows what he is doing will help him no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

He’s young, he tries to do too much but he can produce magic. He walked past Dutch midfielders in the nations league. He’s scored some cracking goals and he’s got talent.

He needs to make better decisions, fill out a bit and be more consistent. He’s looked good under Bulut, having a coach that knows what he is doing will help him no end.
    This all day long👍
    It’s about time some people concentrated on what he can do rather than what he can’t

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    This all day long��
    It’s about time some people concentrated on what he can do rather than what he can’t
    100% - just think he needs to start believing in himself. In an odd way - he would probably do better not playing for his 'hometown' club - less pressure.

International

Is Bulut a good coach?

I hope so but agree there is a player there he needs really good coaching to bring it out and improve him.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    100% - just think he needs to start believing in himself. In an odd way - he would probably do better not playing for his 'hometown' club - less pressure.
    Just needs to remember he's from Neath then, weight should be instantly lifted from his shoulders.

I like that Bulut straight away said he seems him as a number 10 and they seem to be working on that position. Rather than shifting him out wide like some managers did, which never really worked.

Agree with all of that particularly the first sentence.
    Maybe he needs a run of six games or so but I doubt he will get that at the City

This might seem an odd thing to say, but these days (since the famous growth spurts) he's too big for a midfielder. All the twists and turns, stop and starts, changes of direction - it all takes its toll on big, tall players. Playing at number 10 is much more suited to his frame, if he wants to have a lengthy career.

This is what Bulut had to say about him after last night's match.
    “He can be a really good player,” Erol continued. “He was much better today, but also, there were some actions where he needs to be more focused. More focused and more concentrated in some circumstances. Sometimes he loses the ball too easily, or when he has to finish something, he has to do it a little quicker. Sometimes he thinks too much. We still have to work with him.”

Completely different kind of players with different roles - so it's an unfair comparison - Last night Adams was superb at the back and Rino was pretty good too.

However, I agree with you about Colwill, in that he seems to be improving already under Bulut and making better decisions... a long way to go but the early signs of his progression under Bulut are good... as an example whenever Colwill has played under Bulut he has been played in the No.10 role.... exactly where he should be - not out on the wing where previous managers have put him... nailing down a position and getting coached to do it well...love it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'm conflicted.

My theory is he’s used to be the best player on the pitch. Probably has been since he first kicked a ball. Flicks and spins etc.

When he isn’t - ie, in the Champo, he doesn’t know how to adapt

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    This might seem an odd thing to say, but these days (since the famous growth spurts) he's too big for a midfielder. All the twists and turns, stop and starts, changes of direction - it all takes its toll on big, tall players. Playing at number 10 is much more suited to his frame, if he wants to have a lengthy career.
    He's certainly not going to be a mobile ball winning midfielder which a lot of us wanted

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's certainly not going to be a mobile ball winning midfielder which a lot of us wanted
    has anyone ever thought that's what he was going to turn out as?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    My theory is he’s used to be the best player on the pitch. Probably has been since he first kicked a ball. Flicks and spins etc.

I reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head here, from what Bulut said above you’d probably say that’s how he sees it too… massively talented but you’ve got to do the 99% simply and well at this level and then the 1% brilliance if it comes off a few times a game then that’s what separates the players who can win you a game on their own.

Seems like Bulut is the manager to take him forward though if he’s anything as honest and direct with him in training as he is with the press. There’s a player in there but he does need to kick on… with his profile he’s probably not going to find it any easier or more enjoyable playing in the lower leagues.

The lad just needs to be given starts. Giving him 10 minutes here and there we will never know how good he could be.

I feel like if we don't do this we will lose him for free at the end of the season and regret it. Just like what we did with Rhys Healy.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

Every single Championship player was the best player on the pitch at a young age

Colwill is a flair player whose move into senior football hasn't been well managed and has suffered at the hands of rookie managers, hence the (at times) poor decisions

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Every single Championship player was the best player on the pitch at a young age

Colwill is a flair player whose move into senior football hasn't been well managed and has suffered at the hands of rookie managers, hence the (at times) poor decisions
    We have made so many poor appointments it’s no wonder that we haven’t had a succession of young players coming through to the first team.

Let’s hope with a proper manager in charge that will alter now.

We’ve had arguably the best young player making a breakthrough since Ramsey and his development has stagnated due to the poor level of the coaching staff around him

Play him in his right position (10) and he will grow into the role

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Completely different kind of players with different roles - so it's an unfair comparison - Last night Adams was superb at the back and Rino was pretty good too.

However, I agree with you about Colwill, in that he seems to be improving already under Bulut and making better decisions... a long way to go but the early signs of his progression under Bulut are good... as an example whenever Colwill has played under Bulut he has been played in the No.10 role.... exactly where he should be - not out on the wing where previous managers have put him... nailing down a position and getting coached to do it well...love it.
    Under Morison (hailed for his excellent football apparently) he played a midfield of Ralls, Wintle and Rinomhota. They are different players and that’s why I want Colwill to do well.

For what it’s worth, I think Rinomhota is pretty poor. Actually, that’s not true. I think he’s shite.

Who's us? We have plenty of ball winners and grafters, we've needed creativity for years

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    has anyone ever thought that's what he was going to turn out as?
    He's been touted as the answer to our midfield problem since the dawn of time

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Who's us? We have plenty of ball winners and grafters, we've needed creativity for years
    Please don't insult my intelligence

When he single handedly won the game up at forest he was praised as a potential great all rounder

After time out with injury people are now saying he's the perfect number 10

With his size he should be able to play anywhere in the middle

Unlike Rambo

Anyone who has ever seen Colwill play at academy, youth and under 21 level would see he was never going to be the mobile ball winning midfielder which you want him to be.

You do have some football brain farts on here.