+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welsh speed limits - wtf!

Re: Welsh speed limits - wtf!

So his argument is null and void then.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Q - The people who were injured or killed in a 30mph zone - how fast was the vehicle going that hit them ?

The implied logic seems to be that everyone in a vehicle will adhere to the 20mph limit. If people dont adhere to a 30 the same people wont adhere to a 20.
    I think this will end up being Drakeford's Poll Tax moment, I dont see people in Wales adhering to it.
    You think the Welsh will vote for further devastation of public services just because they have to drive a bit slower? Who do you think is going to gain from this ‘poll tax moment’?

been out driving a fair bit this morning, and much to my surprise everything is moving pretty much as normal

Went on my usual early Monday morning weekly shop, it normally takes me about twenty five minutes to drive to Aldi’s Porth. This morning it took double that and traffic was bumper to bumper driving into Porth. It was the longest Monday morning drive in the five and a half years I’ve been up here.

Was the 20 mph limit responsible for this? I don’t think it was unless, maybe, people were leaving earlier because they figured their journeys would take longer? I’m not convinced the problem was the new speed regulations because it was being largely observed - people were definitely driving at less than 30mph as I drove into Treorchy and the traffic was moving fine.

People who are familiar with this area may know of the 30 mph speed camera by Ton Pentre station, I decided to drive at 20mph through this on the way home and as soon as they were out of the range of the camera, the driver of the car behind me overtook me (I’ve never ever seen any one tried to overtake on that stretch of road before) and then laughed at the sight of the prat having to drive a few yards in front of me as the traffic moved on at 20mph for the next three miles or so. That was the only instance I saw this morning of someone reacting against the new measures.

You can’t put average speed cameras on every stretch of road, they can not work in a single stretch of road like a motorway or dual carriageway
    This well intentioned but utterly wasteful policy is unenforceable. Draketwat is dumb enough to think the opposite.
    Outside schools etc fair enough. There was a woman killed in Victoria park, the driver was doing about 10 mph, but failed a drug driving test. So if a car doing 10mph can kill, using drakey logic lets enforce a 5mph limit
    I didn't say every stretch of road, but on stretches where it's clearly being ignored.
    There are a couple of 20mph stretches near me which are built up areas, and they have average speed checks. Not sure why you say that it's not possible to have them when they already exist

I had to be in a little earlier than usual this morning and was on the road at 5.30, even at this time drivers seemed more reluctant to exceed the speeds, return journey this evening it appeared that many drivers just said f**k it.

Caro Wild the local Cardiff Councillor responsible for cycle lanes, closing Castle St etc and putting a bus lane on Cathedral road that cost 1,000,000 - as stated by mike Welch - Caro's ex mate - Caro's intention was to cause as much traffic chaos in Cardiff as possible. Wants Cardiff to become a city of villages - where people just stay where they are.

Council Leader Hugh Thomas is Oxford educated - problem he apparently graduated in music rather than anything meaningful.

My experience so far is that not that much has changed.

On narrow residential streets, people are still doing 10-15mph and on the wider, safer ones still going 30mph. Perhaps a tad slower, maybe.

It's notable (and pretty frustrating) the couple of times someone is sticking to the 20mph. Can see a lot of annoyance in such scenarios where there's a green light 50m ahead and it causes someone to miss it.

Petition closing in on 200,000.

We seem to have mass non-compliance and I think the WG know they have handled this wrong now and they should set out a clear timeline for a sensible review

I think in hindsight this is a load of arse and drakeford should row back

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Someone may want to point out to WOL that 61% isn't two thirds.
    The interesting thing is, if the question was - 'Would you back 20mph in the streets around your home?' then you'd likely get above 90% saying yes.
    The reality is that it's easier/quicker/cheaper to do a blanket change from 30mph to 20mph and given time and more local/council involvement, we'll see more main routes get changed back to 30. It just takes a bit of time.
    So as it stands it won't work perfectly but given time, it'll be adapted and on smaller roads, we'll get used to it
    Everywhere I've driven this week I would say 90% of the time 20mph is being ignored.

Everywhere I've driven this week I would say 90% of the time 20mph is being ignored.
    I drove to Cardiff yesterday from the Thames Valley and it was very slow. M4 Bristol roadworks and accident, M4 after bridge queue no reason, M4 50 stretch very slow. Then drove Pentwyn, Cyncoed, Llanishen, Canton, Cyncoed, Lisvane throughout the afternoon and carnage. Nobody seemed to know what the feck was going on and the roads seemed strangled to death. Must be hell to do this on a regular basis.

Drakeford and his lot should get their act together as South Wales is no fun to visit by road.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I drove to Cardiff yesterday from the Thames Valley and it was very slow. M4 Bristol roadworks and accident, M4 after bridge queue no reason, M4 50 stretch very slow. Then drove Pentwyn, Cyncoed, Llanishen, Canton, Cyncoed, Lisvane throughout the afternoon and carnage. Nobody seemed to know what the feck was going on and the roads seemed strangled to death. Must be hell to do this on a regular basis.

Drakeford and his lot should get their act together as South Wales is no fun to visit by road.
    I think the big context with all of this is their scrapping of the M4 relief road. That signalled that they weren't particularly worried about road users. Then you have the state of Cardiff Airport, which I think Carwyn Jones govt was right to take over, but it cant be said that they have done a good job.

That leaves buses (pretty poor) and TfW which in fairness is being invested in, but is currently pretty poor esp in the valleys

Then someone comes in and says you have to drive 20mph on roads that are essentially safe to do at 30mph and people inevitably get pissed.

Poorly thought of and implemented policy really. Should have focused on improving road safety in specific locations, which is what we have done for 70 years and has seen roads get progressively safer .
    On the main point of travelling to South Wales - it's a joke. Only a fool would open a distribution business on this side of Newport or even this side of the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think the big context with all of this is their scrapping of the M4 relief road. That signalled that they weren't particularly worried about road users. Then you have the state of Cardiff Airport, which I think Carwyn Jones govt was right to take over, but it cant be said that they have done a good job.

That leaves buses (pretty poor) and TfW which in fairness is being invested in, but is currently pretty poor esp in the valleys

Then someone comes in and says you have to drive 20mph on roads that are essentially safe to do at 30mph and people inevitably get pissed.

Poorly thought of and implemented policy really. Should have focused on improving road safety in specific locations, which is what we have done for 70 years and has seen roads get progressively safer .
    On the main point of travelling to South Wales - it's a joke. Only a fool would open a distribution business on this side of Newport or even this side of the bridge
    and electrification of rail stops at Cardiff and nothing for valley lines. a tidal barrage would be a massive source of free energy.

gets me really peed off seeing politicians centrally and in Wales making senseless policies.

as for business investment in Wales then forget it as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    and electrification of rail stops at Cardiff and nothing for valley lines. a tidal barrage would be a massive source of free energy.

gets me really peed off seeing politicians centrally and in Wales making senseless policies.

as for business investment in Wales then forget it as you say.
    Electrification is going up the valleys - that's why the service on lines past Ponty are so shocking at the moment I think.

I think the metro is the only success story of transport in Wales really, but it's still very much in the cracking eggs stage rather than enjoying any delicious omelettes.

When you really don't believe it and forget to take the T shirt off
    how Virtuos, how dumb but presumably the reward is worth it!!
    I wonder if the hands were unglued on the tarmac
    The hypocrisy
    check out the comments
    Is it Lardy on the way to a CCMB message board meet of the Virtue division ?