+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BBC Wales Sports News ( Rugby 🏉 Department )

BBC Wales Sports News ( Rugby 🏉 Department )

Dear Viewers

Cardiff City and the other Welsh clubs did NOT play last night

You were dreaming

Cardiff did NOT gain a valuable win

Instead we had a story about the WRU chief exec Nigel Walker meeting a bunch of kids playing touch rugby in Cardiff somewhere

Football does not exist

But most of our studio staff are huge , lifelong Liverpool and Man United fans

So up yours

Can we count on your support for the guys in the world cup in a few weeks ?

BBC Wales Rugby TV

Re: BBC Wales Sports News ( Rugby 🏉 Department )

All Welsh results mentioned in lunchtime news.
    Probably didn't have the egg story ready.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Dear Viewers

Cardiff City and the other Welsh clubs did NOT play last night

You were dreaming

Cardiff did NOT gain a valuable win

Instead we had a story about the WRU chief exec Nigel Walker meeting a bunch of kids playing touch rugby in Cardiff somewhere

Football does not exist

But most of our studio staff are huge , lifelong Liverpool and Man United fans

So up yours

Can we count on your support for the guys in the world cup in a few weeks ?

BBC Wales Rugby TV
    I don't think anyone can criticise BBC Wales for its football coverage. It's not as it was back in the 90s, when rugby was often the main game on a Saturday afternoon, with football taking over after the final whistle.

Real Radio arguably gave Radio Wales a kick up the jacksy when it obtained the rights for us and Swansea in 2000. They stopped live commentaries 3 years later and Radio Wales have done so ever since.

Saturday afternoons are now generally a football zone from 2-7 on Radio Wales, while rugby has very little coverage.

Next I'd like to see Wales matches on BBC Wales but they haven't the budget to do so.

Years ago, it was easy to be critical of BBC Wales as being a mainly rugby station, but those criticisms are no longer valid.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    All Welsh results mentioned in lunchtime news.
    Probably didn't have the egg story ready.
    Nobody watches the lunchtime news

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't think anyone can criticise BBC Wales for its football coverage. It's not as it was back in the 90s, when rugby was often the main game on a Saturday afternoon, with football taking over after the final whistle.

Real Radio arguably gave Radio Wales a kick up the jacksy when it obtained the rights for us and Swansea in 2000. They stopped live commentaries 3 years later and Radio Wales have done so ever since.

Saturday afternoons are now generally a football zone from 2-7 on Radio Wales, while rugby has very little coverage.

Next I'd like to see Wales matches on BBC Wales but they haven't the budget to do so.

Years ago, it was easy to be critical of BBC Wales as being a mainly rugby station, but those criticisms are no longer valid.
    The powers that be are rugby mafia

The head of sport is a rugby fanatic

Yes Real certainly ruffled feathers with the sports commentary and arguably had a much better phone in show than Radio Wales still do. I may be slightly biased of course as they paid my wages for a number of years

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Yes Real certainly ruffled feathers with the sports commentary and arguably had a much better phone in show than Radio Wales still do. I may be slightly biased of course as they paid my wages for a number of years
    Is that idiot from Skewen on there these days who phones up to tell us everything about rugby then finished off with why WE ......he meant Liverpool......were going to win the league ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I think you're right about the phone in. Didn't they have an hour long phone in each week night? Dave Brookes was a very good host of that and the sports show. They had some good guests on there and Leighton James. Radio Wales seemed to copy that blueprint for some years afterwards.

When Real started broadcasting they pulled some very impressive audience figures. It was a bit of a surprise for them to have hours on a Saturday afternoon covering 2 lower division sides (as both were at the time) but it obviously worked to such an extent that Radio Wales saw them as a threat and presumably outbid Real for the local rights.

I think you're right about the phone in. Didn't they have an hour long phone in each week night? Dave Brookes was a very good host of that and the sports show. They had some good guests on there and Leighton James. Radio Wales seemed to copy that blueprint for some years afterwards.

When Real started broadcasting they pulled some very impressive audience figures. It was a bit of a surprise for them to have hours on a Saturday afternoon covering 2 lower division sides (as both were at the time) but it obviously worked to such an extent that Radio Wales saw them as a threat and presumably outbid Real for the local rights.
    Leighton James

Absolutely Clueless

Don't mess with Lollipop 🍭 man

That’s right, the Real Sports Phone In and yes Brookesy was one of the hosts. It was great to get to meet some of the regular pundits who were top people - David Giles, Andy Moore, Brynmoor Williams, etc. Love him or hate him Leighton got people calling in which was obviously the point. His on air spat with Robbie Savage was radio gold!

The problem, in my opinion, with the Radio Wales version is hearing the same callers every week who ring in with very little to say. Also, allowing callers too much time to babble on - suggests a lack of calls lined up.

The commentaries were a good way to attract listeners to a new station, at time of week/ day when commercial radio listening was traditionally low. Was such a shame to see the phone in go once Global bought the Real stations. Apparently the Scottish version was axed with only 30 minutes notice!

yes they are listen to the phone ins, anyone dare go against the agenda are cleared off sharply

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    yes they are listen to the phone ins, anyone dare go against the agenda are cleared off sharply
    I couldn't disagree more. I listen to Call Rob regularly and I've heard plenty of callers who say all manner of things, no matter how unpopular or nonsensical.

I've also heard more political phone ins and left, right and in the middle all have a say.

I couldn't disagree more. I listen to Call Rob regularly and I've heard plenty of callers who say all manner of things, no matter how unpopular or nonsensical.

I've also heard more political phone ins and left, right and in the middle all have a say.
    I think he means the pro rugby bias of radio Wales in general and BBC wales

It's absolutely ridiculous even accounting for the football coverage

Whilst the air time given to football is better than it was .....it couldn't get much worse .....the upcoming rugby World Cup means a station I have on regularly for weather , local news and some of the shows ......apart from Wynne Evans.....is switched off

call rob is the only one i listen to now i dont follow anything political so cant comment as for dot davies over speaking all the time it goes straight off as does all the rugby nonsense