+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MOTD quiz question

MOTD quiz question

Between 1964-1992, how many times did Cardiff City appear on Match of the Day, as a main game, not including live games or just goals highlights?

Re: MOTD quiz question

Zero? Certainly not many

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Zero? Certainly not many
    Man city in the prem when we beat them 3 2 - weren't we the main feature when we played Pompey in the old third div or was I taking strong drugs at the time 0-0 was the rivetting scoreline

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Zero? Certainly not many
    More than zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Man city in the prem when we beat them 3 2 - weren't we the main feature when we played Pompey in the old third div or was I taking strong drugs at the time 0-0 was the rivetting scoreline
    Man City was after 1992.

I reckon 9. Oxford in 69, Leicester in 69 and 70, Norwich 74, Chelsea in 76, Watford in 81and Cup games against Leeds, Spurs and Wrexham. Probably some I’ve forgotten though

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    I reckon 9. Oxford in 69, Leicester in 69 and 70, Norwich 74, Chelsea in 76, Watford in 81and Cup games against Leeds, Spurs and Wrexham. Probably some I’ve forgotten though
    Good knowledge, all before my time. It's more than 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Man City was after 1992.
    Missed that bit of the question but what about the Pompey game?

Ah 10. Brighton in 76

Ah 10. Brighton in 76
    More than 10, less than 20.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So close!

Ah 10. Brighton in 76
    Was that the game where we had a ton of chances but ended up losing 1-0?

Possibly Sunderland in 70, Grimsby in 83 and maybe QPR in the cup in 1990. I think that’s 13.

My guess 16 times. Weren’t we the main game when we beat Fulham away in 70s ? Was it 5-2 ? I seem to remember Evans and Sayer playing, Sayer chased a ball that was thought to be going out and keeping it in play and passing for a tap in . Also we’re we main game when Alston shot from kick off ?

15 (complete guess). I remember the cup tie v Arsenal in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    My guess 16 times. Weren’t we the main game when we beat Fulham away in 70s ? Was it 5-2 ? I seem to remember Evans and Sayer playing, Sayer chased a ball that was thought to be going out and keeping it in play and passing for a tap in . Also we’re we main game when Alston shot from kick off ?
    I don't have the list, but I'll give it to you. 17.

Here's the full list.

MOTD 64-92.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Good knowledge, all before my time. It's more than 9.
    Can't read that list you posted, so.

Match of the Day always had two games (sometimes the second one was a regional game hence why we were on so much around the time of Scoular's good team) - I take it the second games (non regional) are included in you figure? There was an FA Cup tie with Arsenal around 79/80 where Jimmy Hill apologised for the lack of action in a 0-0 draw and I'm pretty sure the Portsmouth clock game was shown as a second game - was the FA Cup match with QPR in 1990 shown? I also can remember one of our wins up at Wrexham in the Second Division in the late 70s being on, but, maybe, that was just a BBC Wales thing - got a feeling that also applied to our win at Fulham when George Best scored for them.

There was a feature about our game at Ton Pentre in 1987 I think it was on Match of the Day as well.

I remember a game against Notts Forest in the early 70s. The fixture list was decimated by bad weather and Kenneth Wolstenholme commentated that there wasn’t many games to choose from and almost apologising for being at Ninian Park.