+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True to his word - June 5'th 2023

True to his word - June 5'th 2023

looking back to his announcement a few months ago on wales on line he was looking at 8 to 10 signings to build his squad looks like everything is falling into place

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-erol-27058087

never in a million years did i think the board would back him even its through the loan market at the minute

looks like his style of play is a hit with the fans too which is a good sign

why didn't we go down this route when we first went into the prem league i never know

onwards and upwards

Re: True to his word - June 5'th 2023

From the amount of responses to your post you get a feel that positiveness is not forthcoming, I do agree though with your sentiments.

City till we die

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    looking back to his announcement a few months ago on wales on line he was looking at 8 to 10 signings to build his squad looks like everything is falling into place

never in a million years did i think the board would back him even its through the loan market at the minute

why didn't we go down this route when we first went into the prem league i never know

onwards and upwards
    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    From the amount of responses to your post you get a feel that positiveness is not forthcoming, I do agree though with your sentiments.

City till we die

onwards and upwards
    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

City till we die

Any cynicism is understandable after the last few years.
    We had a rag tag squad and brought in a relatively unknown manager.

I have to say though, I’m very happy with our transfer window and also with the appointment of Bulut.

I’m more enthusiastic than I’ve been in a while.
    It reminds me a bit of the early days of MacKay’s first season.

I really think that we will give a good account of ourselves this season.

Don’t want to be negative because I’m not really, but I don’t get this best transfer window in years stuff. Maybe in a month’s time when we’ve played something like the ten games everyone talks about then yes, such a claim may seem valid, but, for now, we can’t go claiming how brilliantly we’ve done when we’ve not played a game since the window closed.

So far, we’ve had a lucky win over a side without a point, played well at Leicester where we should have drawn by rights, were foiled by a last minute goal at Leeds (in truth we were hanging throughout the second half at Elland Road) and stank the Place against a poor QPR team. If we lose today (far from unlikely given how Ipswich have done over the past year), we’ll have four points from five games - relegation for if repeated over the course of a forty six game season.

On Tuesday we gave what was easily our best performance so far with a shadow team based mostly on players who were with us before the transfer window opened - we’d have more than four points if we had played like that in all of our league games. I think we look stronger than we were last season, but, at the moment, I’m guessing hence why I’m not going to start proclaiming how great our transfer window was yet.

Don’t want to be negative because I’m not really, but I don’t get this best transfer window in years stuff. Maybe in a month’s time when we’ve played something like the ten games everyone talks about then yes, such a claim may seem valid, but, for now, we can’t go claiming how brilliantly we’ve done when we’ve not played a game since the window closed.

So far, we’ve had a lucky win over a side without a point, played well at Leicester where we should have drawn by rights, were foiled by a last minute goal at Leeds (in truth we were hanging throughout the second half at Elland Road) and stank the Place against a poor QPR team. If we lose today (far from unlikely given how Ipswich have done over the past year), we’ll have four points from five games - relegation for if repeated over the course of a forty six game season.

On Tuesday we gave what was easily our best performance so far with a shadow team based mostly on players who were with us before the transfer window opened - we’d have more than four points if we had played like that in all of our league games. I think we look stronger than we were last season, but, at the moment, I’m guessing hence why I’m not going to start proclaiming how great our transfer window was yet.

Apologies for the double poor, the board was working at a snail’s pace when I posted and I thought the first one had been lost somewhere in the ether.

Apologies for the double poor, the board was working at a snail’s pace when I posted and I thought the first one had been lost somewhere in the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

We look stronger with more strength in depth, there’s plenty of competition for places and the manager can alter the shape of the team to suit certain matches.

The Greek lads will take a bit of time adapting to a new Country, language and league.
    Collins and Robinson will hopefully get back up to match fitness soon, and if Grant gets anywhere close to the level he was a couple of seasons ago we have struck gold.
    I think Panzo will prove to be a great addition to the team and of course we have Rambo.

We just need patience now, because it won’t happen overnight, but I think overall we have signed 9 players who are good enough to start and not just been signed to bolster a squad with quantity

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    We look stronger with more strength in depth, there’s plenty of competition for places and the manager can alter the shape of the team to suit certain matches.

The Greek lads will take a bit of time adapting to a new Country, language and league.
    Collins and Robinson will hopefully get back up to match fitness soon, and if Grant gets anywhere close to the level he was a couple of seasons ago we have struck gold.
    I think Panzo will prove to be a great addition to the team and of course we have Rambo.

We just need patience now, because it won’t happen overnight, but I think overall we have signed 9 players who are good enough to start and not just been signed to bolster a squad with quantity
    Goutas having to come off at Leicester, and be replaced by someone who has since left the club, despite him having had a full pre season with us makes your point about some of our players needing time to fit in. Still think we're light at centreback although I'd back Ng to do a good enough job in a back three and Romeo and Adams were good in that position on Tuesday, but anyone of them as one or two centrebacks? I'm not sure about that.

Will we have someone who can get into double figures for league goals scored? Ugbo has certainly made a good start on that front, but, athough there appears to be more goals in the squad this season, I'm not sure that we do . Grant has shown that he can do it, but I'm surprised he's being used more or less as an orthodox winger.

What’s his style of play?

Goutas having to come off at Leicester, and be replaced by someone who has since left the club, despite him having had a full pre season with us makes your point about some of our players needing time to fit in. Still think we're light at centreback although I'd back Ng to do a good enough job in a back three and Romeo and Adams were good in that position on Tuesday, but anyone of them as one or two centrebacks? I'm not sure about that.

Will we have someone who can get into double figures for league goals scored? Ugbo has certainly made a good start on that front, but, athough there appears to be more goals in the squad this season, I'm not sure that we do . Grant has shown that he can do it, but I'm surprised he's being used more or less as an orthodox winger.
    I would have liked to seen another CB signed, even if it was a player coming towards the end of their career knowing that they were signed as a back up.

I get the impression that this isn’t the way Bulut operates, and everyone signed has to be able to play in the first team.
    Great competition for places and I wouldn’t mind betting that he already has players lined up to join in January.
    Regarding the front players and I know they have different styles, but we didn’t have a striker who got into double figures when we were promoted under Malky

Hopefully we will see goals coming from all round the team

onwards and upwards
    Agree its been a positive window and especially against a backdrop of no fees including loan fees - would like to know what sort of wage structure we have had to use and what this means for ffp but hopefully we have been sensible - the manager has often referred to the economics of deals.

Unfortunately like the last few seasons we need the team to settle due to so many additions and a new manager but as a club we don't have a history of patience.

Come January and based on where we are I wonder if we go back in for Moore as I think he has 6 months of his contract left and we can pay a fee bearing in mind bournemouth still owe us for him. Wonder how he feels this morning facing limited game time at a club that looks like don't want him?

The other thing for me and before anyone asks for evidence I don't have any just pure instinct I hope the club keep an eye on our progress and when ready tie Bulut in as I think he has something about him and our loss could be someone's gain. Just a gut instinct as I said. No more than that.

This window is likely to be more exciting to people than last summer’s as we have signed a few players that fans will actually have heard of, and yet lots of people claimed at the time that last summer’s transfer window was one of the best ever (albeit under different circumstances), before we’d even played a game……

Strange.

But let’s see. I’m optimistic though.

Decent window, wouldn’t say best ever but considering couldn’t pay any fees we’ve done well

I think the most important signing of the window, aside from Ramsey possibly, was the manager. The big difference from last year is we have someone at the helm with experience in that role, along with good contacts in the game. Also it looks from the early signs that we also now have someone who reads the game well, knows how to train/ coach the players and following the Birmingham game is prepared to change tactics and very much think outside what we would see as the box.

It has been a good window.

Nine players in - all of whom appear to add strength and quality. Fourteen players out (including six mainly development loans) that do not weaken the squad this season - and some of them will come back and force their way into the playing squad in January or next summer.

I am not un happy that Sawyers, Rinohmota and Etete are still with us. They all showed up at Birmingham and may be needed.

It is a shame that Evans and Benjamin didn't get loans out, and that Campbell didn't leave.

We also have a few more younger players who are better this year than last (Colwill, Tanner etc) and forcing their way into contention, and a couple of youth players who are knocking at the door (Joel Colwill at the head of the queue).

Finally we have Collins and Adams back who were unavailable for almost the whole of last season - and both look like they are getting closer to the standard we saw glimpses of (with Collins) or hoped for (with Adams).

It seems to me to be a better balanced squad, with more quality and more goals. And Rambo! I would like another experienced CB, and a Moore like No 9 would have been a bonus, but still not a bad squad transformation.

And on top of that we appear to have a manager/coach who knows what he is doing and has scope to strengthen in January.

I feel positive about the season now.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It has been a good window.

Nine players in - all of whom appear to add strength and quality. Fourteen players out (including six mainly development loans) that do not weaken the squad this season - and some of them will come back and force their way into the playing squad in January or next summer.

I am not un happy that Sawyers, Rinohmota and Etete are still with us. They all showed up at Birmingham and may be needed.

It is a shame that Evans and Benjamin didn't get loans out, and that Campbell didn't leave.

We also have a few more younger players who are better this year than last (Colwill, Tanner etc) and forcing their way into contention, and a couple of youth players who are knocking at the door (Joel Colwill at the head of the queue).

Finally we have Collins and Adams back who were unavailable for almost the whole of last season - and both look like they are getting closer to the standard we saw glimpses of (with Collins) or hoped for (with Adams).

It seems to me to be a better balanced squad, with more quality and more goals. And Rambo! I would like another experienced CB, and a Moore like No 9 would have been a bonus, but still not a bad squad transformation.

And on top of that we appear to have a manager/coach who knows what he is doing and has scope to strengthen in January.

I feel positive about the season now.
    i like that word you used there 'balanced ' , this team the way its set up will score goals but will have to adapt when teams play 5 at the back .

as mentioned last week my only reservation is our left back position . last week sheffield went down our left side with for my liking to much ease . we made Patterson look world class

and yes we have a manager who knows whats he doing when was the last time we could say that ?

lets hope we can hold our own in this division until at least January in terms of results .pretty sure fitness and performances will improve with the strength and depth we have now

i like that word you used there 'balanced ' , this team the way its set up will score goals but will have to adapt when teams play 5 at the back .

as mentioned last week my only reservation is our left back position . last week sheffield went down our left side with for my liking to much ease . we made Patterson look world class

and yes we have a manager who knows whats he doing when was the last time we could say that ?

lets hope we can hold our own in this division until at least January in terms of results .pretty sure fitness and performances will improve with the strength and depth we have now
    Could Panzo play at left back?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Could Panzo play at left back?
    He is normally described as a centre back who can play left back.

One site I just looked at claims he has played more at LB than CB in his last 50 games. No idea how reliable that is.

https://www.footballcritic.com/jonat...sitions/151924

I expect he is a better LB than Rinohmota (or Ralls or O'Dowda).

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    He is normally described as a centre back who can play left back.

One site I just looked at claims he has played more at LB than CB in his last 50 games. No idea how reliable that is.

https://www.footballcritic.com/jonat...sitions/151924

I expect he is a better LB than Rinohmota (or Ralls or O'Dowda).
    It’s good to have options, I suppose.
    I would have liked another covering CB.
    Caulker wouldn’t be a bad shout if he is still free.

Not if it’s been the best but certainly an impressive effort considering the Embargo. I would say the players we have brought in are of a higher quality than I expected considering the restraints. I think another 2 we could have pushed top 10, another 3 or 4 maybe a play off push. The start to the season has been a bit erratic, let’s see what the future brings, confidence will be huge if we are push up the league.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Not if it’s been the best but certainly an impressive effort considering the Embargo. I would say the players we have brought in are of a higher quality than I expected considering the restraints. I think another 2 we could have pushed top 10, another 3 or 4 maybe a play off push. The start to the season has been a bit erratic, let’s see what the future brings, confidence will be huge if we are push up the league.
    yes agree erratic is another good word to use after yesterdays capitulation

in terms of winning over the fans 2 wins against Swansea and Coventry and Buluts name will be up in lights again and yesterdays debacle will be forgotten .

in terms of performance so far well for the last 3 games have seen more entertainment value and decent football than the whole of the last 2 years . theres stacks of goals in this team but can we defend as a unit with the system he sets up ?

its all about winning of course and can feel the fans frustrations after yesterday but as Ollie Tanner has messaged overnight 'stick with us ' .

i hope the fans do

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What’s his style of play?
    I’ll ask again. Mozzer said Bulut’s style of play has been a hit with the fans. So what’s his style of play?