+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Common football phrases

Common football phrases

Three that I despise:

Get it over the line - these words seem to be used in connection with every single transfer deal these days. Where did this nonsense come from?

In the building - another phrase that seems to have popped up out of nowhere in recent years. Very annoying.

The gaffer - olde worlde, working class description of the boss that seems totally inappropriate for modern-day professional football managers (except maybe Neil Warnock, but he’s a dinosaur anyway).

One that I love:

Purple patch - is this used in any other sport or area of life other than football?

Any more suggestions?

Re: Common football phrases

When a team scores and they 'double their lead'.

Michael Gray said "through the door" three times in two minutes yesterday, talking about man utd potential signings.

2-0 is the most dangerous lead.......... is it really? If so why do they need the second goal?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Michael Gray said "through the door" three times in two minutes yesterday, talking about man utd potential signings.
    I suppose you’ve got to go through the door to get into the building.

I enjoy "with aplomb", don't ten to hear that much outside football

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Three that I despise:

Get it over the line - these words seem to be used in connection with every single transfer deal these days. Where did this nonsense come from?

In the building - another phrase that seems to have popped up out of nowhere in recent years. Very annoying.

The gaffer - olde worlde, working class description of the boss that seems totally inappropriate for modern-day professional football managers (except maybe Neil Warnock, but he’s a dinosaur anyway).

One that I love:

Purple patch - is this used in any other sport or area of life other than football?

Any more suggestions?
    'Early doors' and 'top draw' are two I don't like.

I heard the phrase 'purple patch' a long time before I heard it used in conjunction with football. Probably when I started off reading 'Sounds' in the early 70s, with regard to a band going through a purple patch when releasing a clutch of great albums.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    2-0 is the most dangerous lead.......... is it really? If so why do they need the second goal?
    That explains a lot of city's matches, always trying to avoid that dangerous scoreline.

110% - shite
    Double Pivot - Shite
    High Press - Shite

First one is free ref - Classic

Fans are in on it now as well. 'Through the lines' 'Final third' 'Game Management'

The new breed of manager loves the word 'Energy' 'Positive' 'Dynamic' It's all corporate shit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    110% - shite
    Double Pivot - Shite
    High Press - Shite

First one is free ref - Classic
    Low block.

A player 'winning a penalty' is an awful phrase and a terrible reflection of the modern game.
    Not fussed on the phrase 'modern game' either.

"Got that in his locker"

"Setting their stall out"

"Starting to ask questions"

"We are in a moment" ....Think Jose started that one.

Yes as Mr. Soul says, "purple patch' is used much more widely isn't it?

The Football Cliches podcast from The Athletic would be right up your alley if you like picking apart common football phrases.

“The Athletic's Adam Hurrey explores the glorious and unique language of football: the words, the phrases, the mannerisms and, above all, the clichés”

It’s definitely more on the critical side than the celebratory side though, so if these common football phrases annoy you it’s definitely a podcast for you.

This is promo for a live event they did but gives you the idea of the pod.

https://youtu.be/4hV_dnlGKKM?si=_3i5P-Hli2iYvwo5

"Dispossessed"....has a priest been round? Is holy water and a crucifix involved? What happened to "tackled"?

Big unit

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I was discussing this with my father a few months ago. He’s in his mid-eighties. Neither of us could recall ever hearing the phrase ‘purple patch’ being used in connection with anything but football, although it undoubtedly does get used elsewhere from time to time.

Google it and the online dictionary definitions all tend to use football as an example, and bizarrely include Tranmere as their guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    "Got that in his locker"

"Setting their stall out"

"Starting to ask questions"

"We are in a moment" ....Think Jose started that one.

He might have it in his locker but can he do it at Stoke on a wet cold Tuesday night?

"He knows where the goal is"

The transfer window has SLAMMED shut

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    A player 'winning a penalty' is an awful phrase and a terrible reflection of the modern game.
    Not fussed on the phrase 'modern game' either.
    I'm with you on that one. Whenever I hear it I think, the cheating, diving kent has fooled the ref into giving a penalty. Var or not

Whatever happened to moons and parrots?

“nonchalant”

‘Jockey him’, ‘Jockey him’...........get your silks on and your whip out as two veteran Bridgend St supporters, Patsy & Smudger, used to say whenever it was shouted.

Top bins is annoying but I don’t mind the onion bag.